Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally Posted by Orbax
Originally Posted by Traycor
It will never happen, why is this a conversation.

Based on the feedback, it wouldn't be surprising if the game shifts to match closer to 5e, or finding ways to make sticking closer to 5e "less boring".

Yeah, theyll for sure develop this further. They arent going to go dust off a pre-alpha build thats sitting on a decommissioned QA server and put it out there and try to put more than 0% effort into maintenance, functionality, or responsiveness. Its also proprietary and contains a larger portion of content than the EA, so theyd have to go and try to code out a quarantine for people. Plus, when you do things like that, people pinky swearing or not, they expect whatever is in there to be possible, feasible, and easily implemented if people clamor for it enough. The lack of understanding the general populace has for systems management or development is such an impossibly high barrier that even if they had all of the technical resources to get it out there, public sentiment and A-B comparisons and requests with what would be ultimately nothing but an exercise in deflating peoples hopes with a series of "no"s would stop it just on the PR and community relationship end. There is no, NO, justifiable reason to put a single non-Larian person in that environment.

I think you might be taking the request too literally. While the OP might actually want to play that old build, the heart of the request is that 5e was programmed in, so they want to try BG3 using the work that was done. That's not as unreasonable a request as it might sound. Plus, I think the EA builds will start creeping in that direction.

old hand
old hand

I think you might be taking the request too literally. While the OP might actually want to play that old build, the heart of the request is that 5e was programmed in, so they want to try BG3 using the work that was done. That's not as unreasonable a request as it might sound. Plus, I think the EA builds will start creeping in that direction.

The alternative really isn't that different. Its implementing a codebase into a system that is no longer structured to support it. I think there might be a bit of reductionist thinking if people think there is a 5e engine that you can just flip a few switches and the whole thing works differently now. And again, thats supporting and releasing a separate codebase that has the exact same reasoning behind it as to why it wouldn't be the alpha release. Its a different product, its not one they are working on, and at this point have no reason to. Their priorities right now are most likely:

- Make it so everyone can log in
- Fix networking issues for logins that are causing inconsistency
- Make it so people can log in and then have it not crash
- Make it so people can make a character without crashing
- Make it so people can save without crashing
- Make it so people can load without crashing
- Make it so the wide array of video cards that seem to be having issues stop crashing
- Make it so Vulkan stops crashing
- Make it so DX11 stops crashing
- Fix the "cant save while___" hard stops
- Make it so people can leave combat reliably
- Make sure companions dont kill, bang, or leave inappropriately so youre party is weird/ruined
- Make sure quests can actually end and the trees are correct with all the weird bypassing crap people are currently doing
- Tweaking damage
- Tweaking AI behavior

Im sure theres a lot more behind the scenes I can't imagine but core mechanics like jump, push, attack, offhand attacks, and spell specifics are probably being cogitated right now, and there are some people working on it. I look forward to being wrong when next weeks patch 4 comes out and says "Jump is different, companions follow jump, disengage is an action, magic missile no long requires pathing, fighter AOO riposte functioning, gird line battles, 5 foot distance enforced, clear to-hit % indicators..." the list goes on.

Im not saying its bad to want a bunch of stuff, but "Lets go back in time! HUAH!" - I have a high confidence is not their 7am standup meeting team cheer before getting to work and picking up their "the future is yesterday's discarded code" coffee mugs.

Just saying. I also don't know what anyone's actually SEEN of the old stuff and if its as poorly executed as the "good" version, people might be having some bizarrely high hopes on what it actually would be.

My 2 cynical cents laugh

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Isaac Springsong
In an early interview, Sven stated that Larian's first build for BG 3 adhered closely to the rules of 5e, but they scraped it because Larian didn't find it very 'fun'. Specifically he referenced how often low level characters seemed to miss their target with their attacks.

Even a quick glance at this forum shows how much people want a BG 3 that adheres to the rules of 5e.

I would suspect that depending on the definition of "adhering to the rules" and "fun" there would inherently be a bazillion answers.

For all the complaints that combat "takes too long" well take that, multiply it by how often low level characters actually miss and you would not have a playable game for a large chunk of the current player base.

For all those that say "make it harder, I'm game" it's been a thing in past Larian games to have difficulty options, so there is that.

addict
addict
I should add, I am under the assumption that the enemies were made to 5e rules as well (standard number of attacks, AC, HP, etc. No crazy surfaces or bag of items, etc.). Given that it was likely a proof of concept sort of build (DoS 2 engine but direct 5e stats and rules) I know it will be a lot rougher than what we have now. But why not just test it with the public? See if you had the assumptions correct that it would be viewed as unfun.

I mean, it would be better if the enemies were made to the 5e rules because right now they aren't. A lot of encounters and types of enemies are just "Larian'd" up, to the point of them just being annoying and unfun. Like just look at the Minotaurs in the Underdark. A jump with AoE prone and doing 2-3 attacks in a SINGLE turn, with a charge/knockback. That's not how a Minotaur fights in 5e.

Charge: If the minotaur moves at least 10 ft. straight toward a target and then hits it with a gore Attack on the same turn, the target takes an extra 9 (2d8) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 14 Strength saving throw or be pushed up to 10 ft. away and knocked prone.

Labyrinthine Recall: The minotaur can perfectly recall any path it has traveled.

Reckless: At the start of its turn, the minotaur can gain advantage on all melee weapon Attack rolls it makes during that turn, but Attack rolls against it have advantage until the start of its next turn.

Actions Greataxe: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d12 + 4) slashing damage.

Gore: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) piercing damage.

Those are the actual stats and attacks, nowhere is there 3 attacks per turn with an AoE Prone.

Now, if there is a build that exists that actually sticks to how the monsters should be, I would love to see it and test it, but since it is an earlier build, it would be WAYYY more buggy and unstable.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Larian'd up

Agreed but that won't solve the over 9000 cheeses/abuses that come from using D:OS environmental and loot system. They intentionally designed/included the Underdark section to be cheesed. They locked you up to lvl 4. So they are built around that very cheese system.

Last edited by JDCrenton; 16/10/20 02:44 AM.
H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
In an early interview, Sven stated that Larian's first build for BG 3 adhered closely to the rules of 5e, but they scraped it because Larian didn't find it very 'fun'. Specifically he referenced how often low level characters seemed to miss their target with their attacks.

Even a quick glance at this forum shows how much people want a BG 3 that adheres to the rules of 5e. So why not let us try? If Larian is correct, it won't be very fun and people will finally realize why so many changes to the rules was necessary

or

People will realize how much better balanced combat can be when using the rules of 5e rather than DoS. So can we please try that early build, if only to help show whether or not Larian was correct in deviating from the rules of D&D?

You want a build in which character miss even more? I don't. I don't want to play D&D simulator . Its already frustrating enough missing 3 time in a row a ''95% hit''.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Hachina

Even a quick glance at this forum shows how much people want a BG 3 that adheres to the rules of 5e. So why not let us try? If Larian is correct, it won't be very fun and people will finally realize why so many changes to the rules was necessary

or

People will realize how much better balanced combat can be when using the rules of 5e rather than DoS. So can we please try that early build, if only to help show whether or not Larian was correct in deviating from the rules of D&D?

You want a build in which character miss even more? I don't. I don't want to play D&D simulator . Its already frustrating enough missing 3 time in a row a ''95% hit''.

That build problem was solved by doing this:

enthusiast
enthusiast
It will never happen, why is this a conversation.

Based on the feedback, it wouldn't be surprising if the game shifts to match closer to 5e, or finding ways to make sticking closer to 5e "less boring".

Yeah, theyll for sure develop this further. They arent going to go dust off a pre-alpha build thats sitting on a decommissioned QA server and put it out there and try to put more than 0% effort into maintenance, functionality, or responsiveness. Its also proprietary and contains a larger portion of content than the EA, so theyd have to go and try to code out a quarantine for people. Plus, when you do things like that, people pinky swearing or not, they expect whatever is in there to be possible, feasible, and easily implemented if people clamor for it enough. The lack of understanding the general populace has for systems management or development is such an impossibly high barrier that even if they had all of the technical resources to get it out there, public sentiment and A-B comparisons and requests with what would be ultimately nothing but an exercise in deflating peoples hopes with a series of "no"s would stop it just on the PR and community relationship end. There is no, NO, justifiable reason to put a single non-Larian person in that environment.

agreed

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard