Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
enthusiast
enthusiast
I seem to recall a Kobold Bard companion in NWN.

That being said, such characters are generally few and far between.

Half-Orcs have long been established as fairly well represented among adventurers - the very nature of the race and it's alienation among populations almost forces them into merchant or adventurer roles.

Drow also have small surface populations that have been well established in lore - these groups are unusual enough that they stand out in a crowd.

I could see the rare Goblin exception as a hermit, religious recluse, ranger in the wild or even a lost baby goblin raised by monks in a monastery - but these will be exceptional characters in special settings that lend themselves to special situations

T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by Anfindel
I seem to recall a Kobold Bard companion in NWN.

That being said, such characters are generally few and far between.

Half-Orcs have long been established as fairly well represented among adventurers - the very nature of the race and it's alienation among populations almost forces them into merchant or adventurer roles.

Drow also have small surface populations that have been well established in lore - these groups are unusual enough that they stand out in a crowd.

I could see the rare Goblin exception as a hermit, religious recluse, ranger in the wild or even a lost baby goblin raised by monks in a monastery - but these will be exceptional characters in special settings that lend themselves to special situations

That's Deekin the Kobold Bard, one of the best companions in NWN1 and its expansions.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Thrythlind

That's Deekin the Kobold Bard, one of the best companions in NWN1 and its expansions.

Doom doom DOOM!

old hand
old hand
Deekin was great.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Playable Goblins should be in game considering how popular they're in the D&D community.

N
N
+1

i think that would be neat, but i also think its a low priority. id also throw out bugbears and hobgoblins (and gnolls?) too since we run into those in game, but i think its more likely for content or mods down the road. i think some dm/create your own campaign tools would go a long way to support those things tho - a mp campaign where your party is entirely 'evil' races could be alot of fun and change up your traditional dnd campaign, but idk if we have heard enough details about that yet

enthusiast
enthusiast
I will say I wouldn't have thought of it, but then meeting Sazza - holy cow, I want to run someone like her!

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by golw
Pathfinder did more damage to the hobby than any other game. There's nothing wrong with a monster campaign, but monsters are monsters. Having a Githyanki in the party is bad enough. Tieflings being so common nobody bats an eye is bad enough. Drow being completely ignored is bad enough. Half-elves and half-orcs being completely uncontroversial is bad enough. Players have gotten so used to these types of creatures as characters that there's an assumption that the narrative setting of the game world shouldn't care either, and it's one of the biggest problems that exists in D&D to me. I don't have a problem with any of these creatures as a player race, as long as they can't stroll into a town without being lynched. They're fucking monsters.

I honestly don't think this is Pathfinder's fault. The seeds of "monster PCs" being normalized probably originated in two different places; in TTRPGs, with the Eberron setting which really emphasized a world where monsters like medusas and minotaurs could just be part of the fabric of regular life, and in video games, with World of Warcraft, which has a whole faction of playable monsters that people loved. 4th edition D&D was transparently trying to catch up to WoW in its popularity, so not only did it normalize some monstrous races like Dragonborn in its first PHB, but it made a lot of traditionally monstrous races playable in subsequent books. By the time pathfinder really got off the ground in adding monstrous characters, I feel it was already totally normalized.

journeyman
journeyman
I would throw it out. There are a lot more interesting races that I think a larger portion of the player base would actually be interested in playing before goblins. My opinion anyway.

As a free action, can I regret my life choices
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard