Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_HTAhqKaZ8&feature=emb_logo

Yes, in EA could probably only do this once (and I expect they add more barrels in later chapters) but the explosive barrel will be used to cheese stuff.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Thanks... I hate it.

journeyman
journeyman
"I think... I think that's the last of them." lol

apprentice
apprentice
LOL..I'm not gonna lie. As much as I hate all the barrels - that was awesome smile

lol wtf

What was the fier ball spam in BG1 and 2 is now the barrel spam in BG 3.

veteran
veteran
It's funny as a joke. But it's actual gameplay.

Not sure turning BG3 into a big meme is good idea.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by 1varangian
It's funny as a joke. But it's actual gameplay.

Not sure turning BG3 into a big meme is good idea.

This is pretty much why I posted this. I did not make the video but it shows you what people will do with an exploit .

BG3 is a computer game so someone will use the cheesy tactics / exploits if you let them. Do we want the reputation of BG3 to become that game with all the exploding barrels?

old hand
old hand
Yeah this is just insane. Larian games seem to always have these things going now, and I don't like it. smirk

apprentice
apprentice
Reminded me DOS2, in EA you could get death fog barrel and kill Dallis at the beginning.

journeyman
journeyman
I would love to see Larian reduce the amount of barrels, increase their weight significantly, reduce the AoE of explosions and significantly reduce the amount of turns they leave surface effects.

I'm not sure if anyone at Larian has any experience lifting a barrel full of fluid but I assure you the big strong men working in the warehouses moving wine barrels can't just throw three of them in their pack and go jumping 20 foot crevices =P

As a free action, can I regret my life choices
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem

BG3 is a computer game so someone will use the cheesy tactics / exploits if you let them. Do we want the reputation of BG3 to become that game with all the exploding barrels?

It's not competitive so why not. And it's Larian's game, and I don't remember DOS2 as "that game with exploding barrels"

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Easy solution could be to make barrels unmovable. That way they could be available for a set encounter but much less exploitable.

stranger
stranger
But you don't have to do it, if somebody really wants to place 40 barrels and blow up the goblin army why not. If you do not want that in your game, then don't do it. Why would it matter?

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by BlueFlames
But you don't have to do it, if somebody really wants to place 40 barrels and blow up the goblin army why not. If you do not want that in your game, then don't do it. Why would it matter?

Oh the old you don't have to cheat, use exploits so they do no harm argument.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

journeyman
journeyman

It breaks the balance of 5e regardless if someone mass loads them pre-emptively.

I am not saying the game would be better without them, but giving feedback suggesting they tone them down. Unlike DoS2 we don't have phys/mag armor to soak up the extremely high amount of damage coming out of both the explosion and the surfaces they leave in their wake, and this goes for enemies as well.

And if your suggesting that people just ignore them entirely that's all good and well but the enemies don't ignore them, so you either use them against the enemy or the enemy uses them against you.

G
addict
addict
G

There are a couple of issues:
1) If you -can- do it, they have to balance the game around the assumption that people might do it. So you might end up with a game that's either way too easy for people that set battlefields up with barrels or way too hard for people who don't.
2) I just find the existence of exploding barrels super annoying, as a small part of why I find all of the elemental surface stuff, grenades, magic arrows, spell scrolls, etc. really annoying. It's a way for anyone to steal the thunder of people who spend their lives training to make big explosions. What's the point of my wizard learning to cast fireball if Joe commoner can chuck a barrel onto a lit candle? And he doesn't even need to use a spell slot to do it! I'm the guy who would sneak onto the battlefield ahead of time just to remove all of the barrels before the fight.

If they want to set up a fight where the barrels play an important role, then fine, have them there. I'm cool with it if it's an intentional choice about how they are telling the story. But to just have hundreds of barrels of (probably very expensive) explosive materials just abandoned all over the world feels lazy and unbalancing and it detracts from what makes our characters special.

Last edited by grysqrl; 14/10/20 10:00 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Don't worry, they got replaced by a thousand grease/acid/fire bottles and elemental arrows. Also enemies seem to have a fetish for them.

Last edited by JDCrenton; 14/10/20 10:01 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
I can't imagine the time invested in doing that. If you really want to dedicate that much time and energy be my guest. If you don't use it on the goblins they just use it on you.

As far as I can see though it's just another level of tactical involvement. It makes you pay more attention to the details around you instead of "there's my target, CHARGE!" instead of having as many traps that you can't see until you're right on top of, most of the hazards are out in the open. I'll take that any day. Especially when I can weaponize them myself.

I've seen several comments about how long these barrels/ground effects last and even if they're a 35gal barrel instead of 55, oil isn't going to burn off very quickly and a full round where everyone has taken a turn in DnD represents 6 seconds realtime. If they're that much of an obstacle carry water jugs or the create water spell to clear them. Ray of frost is great for cutting a path through fire. Combined with fire bolt you can really clear your path through most things. And should all those fail you jump it.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Smash Dently

As far as I can see though it's just another level of tactical involvement. It makes you pay more attention to the details around you instead of "there's my target, CHARGE!" instead of having as many traps that you can't see until you're right on top of, most of the hazards are out in the open. I'll take that any day. Especially when I can weaponize them myself.

Tactical involvement is great, its just heavy handed right now.

It would be nice to see this toned down to just a sprinkle that makes certain encounters more memorable.

Originally Posted by Smash Dently

I've seen several comments about how long these barrels/ground effects last and even if they're a 35gal barrel instead of 55, oil isn't going to burn off very quickly and a full round where everyone has taken a turn in DnD represents 6 seconds realtime. If they're that much of an obstacle carry water jugs or the create water spell to clear them. Ray of frost is great for cutting a path through fire. Combined with fire bolt you can really clear your path through most things. And should all those fail you jump it.

I have yet to see a single enemy throw water or jump over fire. They just run through it saying
"there's my target, CHARGE!"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard