Next Thread
Print Thread
A
ascet Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Sound cues from companions in BG2 (especially in battle) are one of the most memorable things from the game for me. And since BG3 has turn based battles, importance of sound/voice cues from companions (and enemies!) is huge, as they are not only adding atmosphere and dynamism to the process but also providing additional feedback on what's going on on the battlefield and... emotions!

Currently in EA sound cues are too few and far between, so I'd suggest to add a wide variety of cues to the mix, as detailed below.

Voice cues & banter during battles - those DO NOT have to happen on every occasion, but rather from time to time, depending on the severity of situations, randomness, and maybe some other factors:

* on critical hit/miss
* on opponent's (attacker) critical hit/miss
* on critical hit/miss of other companion nearby
* on being poisoned/confused/chilled/etc or otherwise affected negatively
* on low/critical health
* on low/critical health of other companion nearby
* new enemy appear in visual vicinity
* performing sneak attack or other specialized attack
* character selection
* regular/default attack
* on opponent's death (after successful attack)

To imagine how fun it might be, you can find a suitable Minsk quote for almost all of the above :) Or try PoE Deadfire in turn-based mode.

Another important aspect: Spells & their casting.
While you can't use long incantations like in BG1-2 on actual casting (as it will be too long), you can use similar long incantations once you SELECT spell, before it has actually been cast!
Sound of such incantations should be much lower - almost like whisper or mumbling - kinda like you just quietly reciting the words before actually pronouncing them aloud.
That should definitely please the old BG2 guard :D

(more) non-combat voice cues & banter - also something to consider, as for now I don't feel that characters in party have enough interactions with each other, while not in camp.
Some ideas on when they can occur:

* character selection
* failed checks (investigation, perception, etc)
* (almost) all spell/abilities slots have been used - nothing or too little left for the next potential battle
* low/critical health
* performing lockpick/disarm or other specialized action
* going into sneak mode

Lack of sound cues and additional banter is something that bothered me in DoS2 as well. Hopefully, Larian can step up with this as they did with graphics and other aspects of the game.

E
stranger
stranger
E
Actually this sounds great. Some banter and talk during combat will be great. With how much Shadowheart and Lae'zel go at each other I could see one of them laughing if the other fell unconscious in battle. Hope this get added with a really good amount of dialogue to not be too repetitive.

apprentice
apprentice
Banter and voice cues are my FAVORITE thing about party based rpg's.

That and romance :P

Tuuch! Tuuch! Tuuch!
X
stranger
stranger
X
Completely agree I would also like it if they add in some voice cues when you just click on a companion's portrait like how the original games did.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Status barks would be rather nice, I too would like yelling when they get a critical miss or the like.

enthusiast
enthusiast
agree to statements about adding flavor of this variety.

just don't make it 'Goblins are weak to fire' 'Wolves hunt in packs!' or anything the same every 2.4 seconds.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by clavis
agree to statements about adding flavor of this variety.

just don't make it 'Goblins are weak to fire' 'Wolves hunt in packs!' or anything the same every 2.4 seconds.

Aw cmon, that was the best part of Dragon's Dogma. ..words of wisdom i will never forget lol..

A
ascet Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Originally Posted by easier2hax
Actually this sounds great. Some banter and talk during combat will be great. With how much Shadowheart and Lae'zel go at each other I could see one of them laughing if the other fell unconscious in battle. Hope this get added with a really good amount of dialogue to not be too repetitive.

Yes! such friendly/trolling/supportive/etc interactions could be so much fun! And there's plenty of options as to where to place them...

T
addict
addict
T
Yeah, one of my favorite things about Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, Neverwinter Nights 2 was the large variety of voice options. And the limited voice options of Sword Coast Legends (I suspect all by the same 2 voice actors) was a big letdown.

addict
addict
Very much agree. I suppose some "on select" dialogue was cut from modern RPGs to "not break immersion", but I'd love to see it make a comeback. And of course all of the voice cues the OP mentions. This would go a long way to make it "feel" more BG, I think.

Would be great to hear "companion death reactions". Like how Xzar and Montaron were pleased to see each other kick the bucket. This could be used as a minor narrative tool, too, with the voiceline changing when the companions change the outlook on each other.

Absolutely. +1

Link Copied to Clipboard