Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Muldeh Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
TL;DR the BG3 implementation of mirror image is both numerically worse, and also feels less rewarding to use since you lose one of the mirror images any time an enemy misses you - where often times those attacks were never going to hurt you anyway.

Lets go over the spell descriptions:

BG3 mirror image: Create 3 illusory duplicates of yourself to distract attackers. Each one increases your AC by 3. Whenever you successfully evade an attack one of the duplicates disappears.

Original (5e) mirror image: Three illusory duplicates of yourself appear in your space. Until the spell ends, the duplicates move with you and mimic your Actions, shifting position so it's impossible to track which image is real. You can use your action to dismiss the illusory duplicates. Each time a creature Targets you with an Attack during the spell's Duration, roll a d20 to determine whether the Attack instead Targets one of your duplicates. If you have three duplicates, you must roll a 6 or higher to change the attack's target to a duplicate. With two duplicates, you must roll an 8 or higher. With one duplicate, you must roll an 11 or higher.A duplicate's AC equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier. If an Attack hits a duplicate, the duplicate is destroyed. A duplicate can be destroyed only by an Attack that hits it. It ignores all other damage and Effects. The spell ends when all three duplicates are destroyed. A creature is unaffected by this spell if it can't see, if it relies on Senses other than sight, such as Blindsight, or if it can perceive illusions as false, as with Truesight.

So whenever an enemy rolls an attack that's lower than your normal AC, you lose one of your duplicates fro mthe BG3 mirror image, with no gain. If the same thing happened with the original 5e mirror image, often your duplicate will also dodge the attack, if the attack is redirected to it. If the attack isn't redirected to the original 5e mirror image, you don't lose it. So the odds of you wasting a mirror image in the original 5e version are quite small. Whereas in BG3 the odds of wasting it can be 50% or more on any attack.

Also with the 5e version it is much more obvious when you are avoiding damage thanks to the mirror image. In BG3 you have to hover over the roll in the combat log and then check if it was higher than your regular AC before mirror image to see if the mirror image actually did you any good there or not.

If an enemy has +7 to hit, and you have 18 AC (breastplate and shield for a trickery domain cleric, or 20 dex + mage armour for a wizard/sorc) then the BG3 mirror image will only prevent about 35-40% as much damage as the 5e mirror image will prevent, per spell slot used.

The Original 5e mirror image also has a good chance of absorbing crits, whereas in BG3 crits ignore the mirror image.

Suggestion for improvement:
I'm assuming that the reason this was changed was becaue the 5e version was too wordy, and you wanted to simplify it. I don't think the huge nerf was intended seeing as so far most changes to 5e I've seen have been buffs in some way or another. So my suggestion is to change the spell to only consume one of your duplicates, when the extra AC provided by the duplicates is what prevents the hit. E.g. If you have 3 duplicates and the enemy missed you by less than 9 remove the duplicate. If it missed you by mroe than 9, you keep all your duplicates. That should be easy enough to program, and then players will know that they dodged a bulllet whenever a mirror image disappears, rather than feeling that it was wasted.

old hand
old hand
A bypass for the spell is "when the enemy relies on sight". I blinded myself to give me just disadvantage and the images still were the things to go away.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
enthusiast
enthusiast
add it to the list of things that can have the simple question of "why did this need to be implemented differently from the rules it's based on?"

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
The list of things they changed unnecessarily increases every day it seems...

addict
addict
I sent Larian my top 8 suggestions / issues, and I used Mirror Image as an example.
( my seven others were more about UI / movement suggestions and not about rules )

+9 AC is way out of system/balance, and the core rule is easy to implement (i.e. it is not about the challenge of converting tabletop to video game).

Maybe it was just a quick implementation and they plan to fix it later.

The good thing is it is supposed to work only 3 times in the current implementation and it has a duration.

Last edited by Baraz; 15/10/20 12:53 AM.
D
D
I don't think it is hard to implement the PnP mirror image, in NWN2 this is done faithfully so on code level this is not hard. +9 AC and lose one mirror everytime enemy miss u is very lazy implement of the spell.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by blindhamster
add it to the list of things that can have the simple question of "why did this need to be implemented differently from the rules it's based on?"

My magic missiles need better pathfinding

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by JDCrenton

My magic missiles need better pathfinding

You mean the none they should ever have if you have sight on it haha. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
journeyman
journeyman

Yeah their are so many changes and it feels like things were changed to make it more new player friendly without any considerations for the base rules. Things are worded specific ways for a reason.

X
apprentice
apprentice
X
+1

The only reason I'd use the BG3 Mirror Image still is that it's still no concentration. But the fact that they will go away if the attack roll is really low and would have missed you anyway is disappointing.

stranger
stranger
This is a bump to a one year old post, but as the issue hasn't been addressed by Larian, I feel I need to add my voice to how bad this version of the spell feels compared to the tabletop version. This needs to be fixed.

S
addict
addict
S
yes this needs to be changed to the RAW version of mirror image. Just today I had an enemy critically miss me and still got one mirror image taken away. Very frustrating

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
+1

addict
addict
either way it's op and broken so...

W
journeyman
journeyman
W