Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
I'm not sure if its just me but I personally find Lae'zel and Shadowheart to be rather disappointing companions and not just for romance. I feel like I wouldn't be friends with either of them and they both irritate me. Maybe there is some drastic character growth in part II but right now they both have some serious complexes going on.

Shadowheart: To be honest reminds me of a few toxic ex girlfriends of mine and that might be partially why I dislike her but come on if your lines are only ever sarcasm it tends to get old fast. She basically is hurt and doesn't want anyone to know that she isn't the cynical, sarcastic, flippant hard a$$ she pretends to be. Maybe its all the hostility that makes the mocking and bossiness irritating but if I could trade her for a BG3 version of Lohse I wouldn't even hesitate. Maybe its because of something .. she is missing (not going to give a spoiler but if you've talked to her enough you know what I'm talking about). The frequency of her sneering and mocking tone makes it so when she says something that isn't dripping in venom it feels out of place and like a drastic jump both in facial animations and tone.

Lae'zel: Well where to start, she disapproves of everything besides cruelty and indifference which if she is supposed to be the evil option great but sociopath isn't really a role play I enjoy. She is rude, demanding and condescending (well both her and shadowheart are). Her personality consists of fear of failure to her people/queen, bloodlust and Xenophobia.

I feel like Gale and Wyll are relatively good people who manage to have a dark backstory without making me roll my eyes at their attitudes. If shadowheart changed her tone the higher approval you have with her, that might even help things.

I'm the type of player that in witcher 3 always picks Triss over Yenn because Yenn is demanding, rude, secretive, and lacks the ability to be vulnerable. And i'm not saying that characters should be without flaws. Just maybe less annoying and more varied flaws for every female character.

Again these are just my opinions and we all have our own biases.

T
stranger
stranger
T
I agree with this completely. I stuck with shadowheart because she was the only workable choice for me. Im hoping they introduce more companions in later acts.

E
stranger
stranger
E
I get what you saying. If I liked men and wanted to romance them then all 3 male characters are super approachable where the females are not. We have a half elf which I think is good looking and then we have Lae'zel which is something of an acquired taste smile HOWEVER with that said shadowheart's bitchyness has actually grown on me and I find her funny with all her sarcasim. Lae'zel character makes sense as she is a warrior who desires to become a knight and have her own dragon. She also sees us as a mind flair with the tadpole in our head which happen to be her mortal enemy. I think both female characters will grow the more the story goes on. Shadow heart will trust us and the bitchyness will begin to fade away and Lar'zel will see the good in other races the more she is around them and once we get this tadpole out our heads. I do wish however we had one extra female character companion that perhaps was more light hearted.

This is just my 2 cents worth of a opinion though smile

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
I think more casual and friendly character will come later; i like Shadowheart bitchness, I mean, its sure gives her some personnality. Lae'zel in comparison seems very straigh forward githyanki fighter, narrow minded and obsessed by her culture and duties. Basically a fanatic, which makes her wayyyy shallower than Shadowheart IMHO.

Gayle is stupidly good , so much that its funny, its almost a flaw he has. I mean, he only approves of gentleness, mercy, and so on even towards the enemy, which makes him the opposite of a pragmatic. So much that I like him (I like character that are imperfect).
Will is the most bland character imo. Beside one thing, he is just like the farmer type character that got raided and want revenge. He is friendly, he has one secret and... he play the role of the smooth heros? Seems kinda boring to me.
And I really like Astarion.

Last edited by Hachina; 14/10/20 10:46 PM.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
S
S
Is the fact that more companions are coming really not known?

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
I would not call Lae'zel shallow. Focused is the word that comes to mind. In a way she seems to be the most caring of all the companions we have got so far. While her primary concern is not to turn into a mindflayer she does not seem to be motivated mostly be egoism but a genuine wish to protect her people from their former oppressors.
The tendency to only see characters with deep internal conflicts and flaws as interesting is perhaps reflective of certain tendencies in todays culture. I do not mind such *complex* characters but I do appreciate efficient characters with great self-control. Sometimes it is as DaVinci said: Simplicity is the highest form of perfection.

I am pretty certain that more 'good' characters both male and female will be added to the game. Larian wanted more feedback on the neutral and 'evil' ones in early access.

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
J
stranger
stranger
J
Originally Posted by ArmouredHedgehog
I am pretty certain that more 'good' characters both male and female will be added to the game. Larian wanted more feedback on the neutral and 'evil' ones in early access.

Was this actually the reason? If so, it would've been helpful if they made that more clear. I've been telling people who ask my opinion of the game that I ultimately don't find it very fun because all the companions start out hating my guts.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
Originally Posted by easier2hax
I get what you saying. If I liked men and wanted to romance them then all 3 male characters are super approachable where the females are not. We have a half elf which I think is good looking and then we have Lae'zel which is something of an acquired taste smile HOWEVER with that said shadowheart's bitchyness has actually grown on me and I find her funny with all her sarcasim. Lae'zel character makes sense as she is a warrior who desires to become a knight and have her own dragon. She also sees us as a mind flair with the tadpole in our head which happen to be her mortal enemy. I think both female characters will grow the more the story goes on. Shadow heart will trust us and the bitchyness will begin to fade away and Lar'zel will see the good in other races the more she is around them and once we get this tadpole out our heads. I do wish however we had one extra female character companion that perhaps was more light hearted.

This is just my 2 cents worth of a opinion though smile

Talking about aproachability Lae'zel is super upfront amd not hard to romance at all. For me both female companions até great and really fit the story.
But most companions are evil so Far If that's what you mean, probabbly some good ones Will come later and maybe they'll see more eye to eye with some of the good aligned routes you can take. Só Far only wyll really seems to be more good aligned, but with his class and secrets I believe there Will be more to him in Future chapters

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
Originally Posted by Jeeshman
Originally Posted by ArmouredHedgehog

Was this actually the reason? If so, it would've been helpful if they made that more clear. I've been telling people who ask my opinion of the game that I ultimately don't find it very fun because all the companions start out hating my guts.

It was stated im one of the anoucing interviews, maybe panel from hell?

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Shadowheart at least, she has somewhat good-heart in the end. When you bring Scratch the dog to your camp, she approves when you pet Scratch, not always disapprove when you take 'good' option. Not bad personality for cleric of Shar. She reminds me Viconia.

Lae'zel is just a practical, only cling to purge, cleanse tadpole, it makes sense when people on dire situation (tadpole in your head), but she's generally evil. And her personal quest that massive (spoiler) comes out is just silly, 90s mediocre fantasy plot that leave your enemies to your men, even they are right in front of you.

I would like to see some friendly people too.

Some neutral people would be cool too.

Why dos it always have be full evile or full good. Shades of grey. A person has its own goals, believes, fears, predijuces and expectations from others.

enthusiast
enthusiast
If anyone knows anything about the Gith they would never expect to find a goody two shoes version of them and you're not supposed to expect sympathy from them. The whole Illithid vs Gith deal is just a big battle between extraplanar evils. About Lae'zel as Companion, she's just a boring npc that adds nothing to the table other than being your average gith stereotype. Her class is also extremely boring.

Last edited by JDCrenton; 15/10/20 12:58 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard