Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#698506 15/10/20 03:22 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Pardon the clickbait title. As I stated in a previous, direct communication, I LOVE THIS GAME! It's gorgeous, fun, and looks impressively large, from what I have seen so far! However, no game is perfect, and since we're still in EA, I do have some critiques about some of the features in the game (and as a professional Scrum Product Owner, how could I not? haha). This isn't meant to be an attack on the development team, I'm thoroughly impressed with what's been done so far, honestly! This is just meant to be a candid set of observations about things that consistently drag me away from the fun of the game.

The Map
Easily the worst aspect of the game, the map is terrible and practically worthless. In fact, it's almost not even just passively bad, it feels like it's actively working against me sometimes.

It should be something that I look at and think "Wow! Look at this! I can't wait to explore this place!" Right now, I look at it and think "...where the hell am I? And where is the place I'm going? And which way is it from where I am right now?" It just looks like a bunch of misshapen, colored blobs.

After staring at it for a few hours, I realized that the areas that are shaded with a white overlay are supposed to indicate playable areas, but that doesn't really help that much.

Rather than having a small indicator pointing toward something I am supposed to do, why not just show me which way my current character's avatar is facing on the map? That one change by itself would be a massive improvement.

Also, not being able to smoothly scroll in and out, and not being able to drag the map around so that I can zoom in on any particular area I want to see is annoying.

Also, as I zoom out, I should have the option to view where I am in different scales. For example, if I am inside a house, I should be able to see all the explored area of the house displayed on the map, but when I zoom out, it should show me which house I am in on the terrain map, and then I should be able to keep zooming out to see the entire region I have explored.

The Journal
The "Show on Map" button doesn't seem to do anything other than create a yellow diamond on the map.
Often, it's created on a part of the map I'm not currently looking at, so when I do switch back to the map, I have no idea which thing I am looking for. What should happen is that the user clicks the "Show on Map" button and is immediately taken to that point on the map.

Also, it wasn't immediately obvious what was going on with the bullets for the journal entries. A key or legend would be really helpful for people to see that "!" meant there was an update to the entry, or a new entry.

Group Management
Specifically, the way the group sometimes sticks together and sometimes doesn't when coming out of the camp. Honestly, I love the way the group mechanic works. Being able to group people in different combinations is probably one of the coolest things I have seen in a game! (yep, I'm a nerd HAHA) However, it would be really nice to form a group and have that group stay together every time they go into and come out of the camp UNLESS I specifically decide to make a change to the group setup.

Group Hide Option?
Having no option to auto-conceal all members of the group at the same time is just wrong. This should just be a thing, honestly. Having a spell like "Pass without trace" is great, but if I always have to individually tell each party member to hide before moving, that's just annoying. However, if I have to choose between individually hiding and group hiding, I will take the current individual mechanic, for sure. It would just be a cool thing to be able to do them all at one time if I chose to.

Bags and Containers
The size and way the bags scroll after you fill the default slot display. Small bags should have fewer slots available, and larger boxes should have more slots available. As it stands, everything is essentially a "Bag of Holding."

Also, when you fill up the slots that are displayed by default, the bag auto-scrolls to the top when you add more items to the bottom. This is annoying. Making the slots fixed and removing the scrolling mechanism for all bag types that are non-magical, and then adding a working scrolling mechanism to magical bag types would be awesome.

Ragnar Hammerhand
Slayer of Goblins
Lifter of Weights
Eater of Cookies
enthusiast
enthusiast
Every time i have to move the Camera:

Last edited by JDCrenton; 15/10/20 03:27 AM.
X
apprentice
apprentice
X
I absolutely hated the map until I turned off the auto rotation. Once I knew which way north was on the map, I had an easier time orienting myself.

It does show you which way your characters are facing, but maybe only if you're zoomed in a certain amount.

The "white outlined areas are explorable" part wasn't readily apparent.

What wasn't apparent for me is that I could look around with the arrow keys. Aiming ranged attacks was irritating! Now we need to be able to move the camera up and down too, so we can get a better look around, or at least have a first person view to check for ranged attacks.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Xeviat
What wasn't apparent for me is that I could look around with the arrow keys. Aiming ranged attacks was irritating! Now we need to be able to move the camera up and down too, so we can get a better look around, or at least have a first person view to check for ranged attacks.

Agree! Disconnecting the camera from the character and moving it around is something I did by accident, and I couldn't figure out what was going on at first. Once I figured it out though, it's pretty awesome and I use it for lots of stuff (like looking beyond the doors / gates to see what I can see)

Ragnar Hammerhand
Slayer of Goblins
Lifter of Weights
Eater of Cookies
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Ragnar Hammerhan
The Map
Easily the worst aspect of the game, the map is terrible and practically worthless. In fact, it's almost not even just passively bad, it feels like it's actively working against me sometimes.

It should be something that I look at and think "Wow! Look at this! I can't wait to explore this place!" Right now, I look at it and think "...where the hell am I? And where is the place I'm going? And which way is it from where I am right now?" It just looks like a bunch of misshapen, colored blobs.

After staring at it for a few hours, I realized that the areas that are shaded with a white overlay are supposed to indicate playable areas, but that doesn't really help that much.

This actually made me tear up with laughter. I thought I was the only one.

In the settings you can turn off rotate minimap, that really helped me a lot.

Last edited by Tomoya; 15/10/20 06:10 AM.

As a free action, can I regret my life choices
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Tomoya
Originally Posted by Ragnar Hammerhan
Originally Posted by Xeviat

Agree! Disconnecting the camera from the character and moving it around is something I did by accident, and I couldn't figure out what was going on at first. Once I figured it out though, it's pretty awesome and I use it for lots of stuff (like looking beyond the doors / gates to see what I can see)

This actually made me tear up with laughter. I thought I was the only one.

In the settings you can turn off rotate minimap, that really helped me a lot.

[Linked Image]

Ragnar Hammerhand
Slayer of Goblins
Lifter of Weights
Eater of Cookies
journeyman
journeyman
Realized I grabbed the wrong quote on my previous post. Fixed it in the edit, I was actually laughing and responding to your description of the map.

As a free action, can I regret my life choices

Link Copied to Clipboard