Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 23 of 41 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 40 41
apprentice
apprentice
Minor thing but it would be good if torches could be held in a second slot like ranged weapons. As it stands characters without dark vision have to carry it as a weapon, which limits them to using only light melee weapons if not only the torch.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Braxton
Minor thing but it would be good if torches could be held in a second slot like ranged weapons. As it stands characters without dark vision have to carry it as a weapon, which limits them to using only light melee weapons if not only the torch.

good point!

M
stranger
stranger
M
+1 with regards to surfaces on cantrips - big nope
+1 with regards to jump/disengage as a bonus action being OP, should only be BA through cunning action
+1 that ranged weapons should have different ranges as per their DnD equivalents (spells have shortened ranges too frown )
+1 on several other good ideas mentioned here!

I'm looking forward to thrown handaxes/javelins/daggers/etc. (They don't work yet right? I can only use a hand-axe melee as far as I can tell)

Verticality is great! Include it in spells!
-AOE spells often don't target enemies as would be expected. The spells only target within a particular horizontal plane, whereas the spell effect should be 3D, e.g. shatter should be a 10-ft radius sphere that can be positioned vertically as well as horizontally. Same for web, which should fill an entire hallway (yet in-game it can easily be jumped over)

Character Movement in Combat
-Small point: In DnD, you can walk through an ally's space, as difficult terrain, but cannot end your turn there. This is a rule that smooths gameplay and prevents clunky issues of allies blocking each other's paths.

AI
-I have only seen a single enemy dash, and that was one running away so probably scripted. Do enemies really not realize they can dash??? Or am I crazy...
+1 to the many points made about AI lol

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
XP for dialogue and puzzles.
Non-combat solutions and the effort taken to uncover secrets should be rewarded with XP. XP in DnD is not identical to a shooter highscore.
It has been mentioned in several threads but seems to be missing from the list in the first post here.

Make enemies avoid being less than a few meters away from explosives. As it stands they are too easy to obliberate using barrels

Last edited by ArmouredHedgehog; 14/10/20 11:03 PM.

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Lots of good suggestions in this thread! If Larian listens to y'all, this could turn out to be a kickass game.

I am confused that some people are asking for options to be removed like fast travel though. If you don't like it, don't use it. It's optional. Other people shouldn't made to suffer because you think the game should only be played one way. It's an OPTION after all.

stranger
stranger
Suggestions for Quest Journal:
• It would be great to have a "hide Completed Quests" button for the Journal
• It would be great to be able use the scroll wheel on my mouse when hovering over the Quest list to see whether there are more at the bottom instead of having to push the down arrow on the quest panel.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by KingNothing69
Lots of good suggestions in this thread! If Larian listens to y'all, this could turn out to be a kickass game.

I am confused that some people are asking for options to be removed like fast travel though. If you don't like it, don't use it. It's optional. Other people shouldn't made to suffer because you think the game should only be played one way. It's an OPTION after all.

Yeah, I don't get people asking for fast travel to be removed. Basically every game these days has fast travel as an option for those who want to use it, but it's totally possible to go through without ever fast traveling. I've pulled it off so far in BG3, it's not that hard. Only game I ever felt like I absolutely had to fast travel in was Skyrim, but that's because the world is so freaking huge and enemies attack so often that walking halfway across the map in that game usually involved 2 dragon fights and about 100 random enemies.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Would love to see more races outside the PHB. To list a few Goblin (you already have the models for these wink ) Kobold, Tortle, Warforged. There are others that would be appreciated but those would be my top picks.

Also I'm hoping to be able to play through with a party of custom characters (sooner in EA than later if possible) in a large part because I... I have an unhealthy obsession with character building, but another big reason is Id rather not completely spoil all the story around the companions if it can be helped.

I'm not sure if crafting is out fully or not but what I've interacted with so far makes no sense, either a tutorial or simply more detail on the crafting page would go a long way I think. Maybe just make it a book that sits on/by all the anvils in act 1 lol

Is there an indication when jumping down to a lower level that your character will take damage somewhere that I'm missing by chance? If not it would be quite helpful. I keep getting beat up just exploring.

All that said folks I think we're off to a stellar start, I'm loving the mechanics, the combat, the rolls (despite my luck) all of it. Keep it up guys.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Yeah I've honestly never been good at remembering to use fast travel outside of skyrim lol BG3 is no exception, haven't touched it once despite my "oh good I found another waypoint" response everytime I trip over one lol

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by Smash Dently
Would love to see more races outside the PHB. To list a few Goblin (you already have the models for these wink ) Kobold, Tortle, Warforged. There are others that would be appreciated but those would be my top picks.

Also I'm hoping to be able to play through with a party of custom characters (sooner in EA than later if possible) in a large part because I... I have an unhealthy obsession with character building, but another big reason is Id rather not completely spoil all the story around the companions if it can be helped.

I'm not sure if crafting is out fully or not but what I've interacted with so far makes no sense, either a tutorial or simply more detail on the crafting page would go a long way I think. Maybe just make it a book that sits on/by all the anvils in act 1 lol

Is there an indication when jumping down to a lower level that your character will take damage somewhere that I'm missing by chance? If not it would be quite helpful. I keep getting beat up just exploring.

All that said folks I think we're off to a stellar start, I'm loving the mechanics, the combat, the rolls (despite my luck) all of it. Keep it up guys.

I didn't know crafting was in the game at all, I thought it wasn't going to be added for a while. How do you craft?

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
Another thing I forgot to mention previously:

Please make it so we can press a key e.g. Ctrl so that when we want to target an area it doesn't snap to a model.

F
stranger
stranger
F
A suggestion:

Please have a setting in the game where I can adjust font size. I have pretty poor vision, and would love to see the option to increase the font size. Thank you!

My thoughts/votes (one voice of many) on your 'frequent discussion items;:

Character Creation: Is awesome as it is - brief, beautifully annotated, and simple (an homage to 5th edition)
Turn-based: all the way! Part of the glory of this game is that it is turn-based, matching D&D and older RPGs. Real-time with pause is faster, but that often devalues the strategic use of character's unique abilities in favour of sheer 'power'.
Party Dialogue: allow the party to act as a group, using companion skills even when they are not the initiators of dialogue. Alternatively, when 'dialogue' is initiated by any party member, have a drop-down to select who speaks.
Surfaces: are plentiful, as in Divinity games. I like them, but dislike how accidentally wandering through a fire surface can simply kill me. Perhaps a warning before force-entering a character onto a damaging surface? Cantrips: should not create surfaces.
Space Bar: should not make selections of specific options.
Scrolls: lots of scrolls is great! I love it - more scrolls means I don't hoard them unused until the end of the game.
Containers: currently, there are too many 'empty' containers. Either fill them with something, or remove some. I vote fill them.
Inventory Management: needs to be improved. The most tedious part of Divinity games was sorting through all the stuff over and over.

Thanks so much for all of your work,
Fizzy

S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Pupito
Originally Posted by Smash Dently

I didn't know crafting was in the game at all, I thought it wasn't going to be added for a while. How do you craft?

If you check an anvil or a work bench an new menu pops up, but as said idk HOW it works or even IF it does lol

S
stranger
stranger
S
A few suggestions I have. Hopefully you don't mind me putting them here rather than in a separate post.

Hotbar: I don't know if this has been mentioned yet (23 pages! I checked some, but not all), but the hotbar gets a little crowded. I would suggest a Spellbook for casters - it opens a submenu with available (i.e. prepared) spells like in the original BG 1 and 2. Maybe even add a Consumables button, or separate Potions and Scrolls buttons for selecting those.

More on the Hotbar: the quick buttons (1 to =) should be fully customizable. Especially if you take my above suggestion, but even if not. This way you can put your most used actions there, in addition to spells and consumables. A fighter can set normal attack as 1 and cleave as 2, for example.

Sneak Attack: in stock D&D, a rogue's sneak attack is automatic with the first hit on a turn, assuming they meet the criteria (advantage, ally threatening the target, finesse or ranged weapon, etc). Making it a separate button/hotkey that you have to use is just additional complication for a nifty icon's sake.

Real Time vs Turn-Based: I don't know how complicated this would be to implement, but maybe you could end the debate by having both as options. Make turn-based default, but add the option to change it to real time with pause (maybe call it "Classic Combat", mentioning that it's what was used in the original Baldur's Gate games).

Scrolls: I've seen people mention how many scrolls there are dotted about in the world, which really just depends on your DM. I don't tend to give out scrolls unless there's a wizard in the party, or the adventure I'm using specifically states that a scroll is in the loot. Conversely, I tend to give out too many magic items then joke about how I have to beef up encounters because my players waltz through deadly ones without a sweat. So, I don't think they're too common as long as they go along with the item rarity (level 0-1 are common and all over, 2-3 are slightly rarer, and so on).

More on Scrolls: Additionally, scrolls should be restricted to use by spellcasters who have that spell on their class spell list. They should also have to make a roll to cast it if it's too high a level for them. The only exception to both of these rules would be a level 13 or higher thief, due to their Use Magic Device feature.

This is all I have at the moment, but I'll post more if it comes to me. Let me know if I need to start a separate discussion for any of these.

Edit: I have set up a separate post for discussion on these and other feedback/suggestions I have here.

Last edited by silentbrad; 18/10/20 09:28 PM. Reason: linked elsewhere
C
stranger
stranger
C
Rules... lol. PHB and DMG are guidelines. It's a good way to start D&D for sure. But once you're comfortable enough to go outside that, homebrew is most fun, rule tweaking to encourage thought provocation for escapes from situations is what I love about the imaginative world of D&D. If they didn't come with drawbacks or bonuses then there'd be no reason to choose Acid Splash over Firebolt because Firebolt has better damage aside from proficiency bonuses or enemy resistances. I am here to see an already good looking game (aside from most of the popular issues that I agree with), continue to stay amazing, and I have no doubt Larian Studios will absolutely make the game incredible as they have with DOS2 and the modding community will add in all the other books (Guide to Ravnica, Ahmonket, Eberron, Xanathar's, etc) if the need be.

People are also complaining about CR rating vs levels (Hardcore eyeroll) those guys make me cringe hard.

I will continue to enjoy a game as I see fit. I have no worries about a game until the community derails it in the early stages when given the opportunity.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by Chr0nos
Rules... lol. PHB and DMG are guidelines. It's a good way to start D&D for sure. But once you're comfortable enough to go outside that, homebrew is most fun, rule tweaking to encourage thought provocation for escapes from situations is what I love about the imaginative world of D&D. If they didn't come with drawbacks or bonuses then there'd be no reason to choose Acid Splash over Firebolt because Firebolt has better damage aside from proficiency bonuses or enemy resistances. I am here to see an already good looking game (aside from most of the popular issues that I agree with), continue to stay amazing, and I have no doubt Larian Studios will absolutely make the game incredible as they have with DOS2 and the modding community will add in all the other books (Guide to Ravnica, Ahmonket, Eberron, Xanathar's, etc) if the need be.

People are also complaining about CR rating vs levels (Hardcore eyeroll) those guys make me cringe hard.

I will continue to enjoy a game as I see fit. I have no worries about a game until the community derails it in the early stages when given the opportunity.

The reason to choose Acid Splash over Firebolt in RAW is simple: it can hit up to two creatures, while Firebolt can't. Aside from that, literally nobody is telling you to not enjoy the game how you see fit, we're just saying that we are not enjoying some of these changes they've made, and want them tweaked or reverted. That simple. You wanna gather every barrel you come across and save them to nuke the big bad? Go for it, nobody is stopping you. We just want there to be a few less barrels in encounters so not every 2nd combat encounter can be ended just by blowing up barrels. Not saying remove them entirely, just adjust them. Most people aren't saying things like surfaces, barrels, special arrows, etc etc need to be entirely removed, just toned down and adjusted. As for CR rating vs levels, I don't really care how they choose to display the monsters difficulty, just want them to adjust them a bit so they aren't stupidly OP (three attacks as a single action? Kiss my ass, Gnolls)

stranger
stranger
Large fights are annoying as hell in any turn-based combat game.

Do you WANT me alt-tabbing out and browsing the web while I wait for the enemies to move? Because that's what I'm going to do. Especially when the enemies outnumber me 3-1. It's ridiculous. At least with RTwP games you can just let it roll and watch the action.

Less enemies in large fights.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by Balasarius
Large fights are annoying as hell in any turn-based combat game.

Do you WANT me alt-tabbing out and browsing the web while I wait for the enemies to move? Because that's what I'm going to do. Especially when the enemies outnumber me 3-1. It's ridiculous. At least with RTwP games you can just let it roll and watch the action.

Less enemies in large fights.

The biggest problem with this is that most of the time the enemies aren't even doing anything worth watching out for, half of them just stay where they are and snarl at you anyway.

journeyman
journeyman
Ranger needs some work. Animal companions are completely unbalanced, and Hunter archtype bonuses have all had various bugs for me. Feels bad to pick and archtype and both are basically broken.

As a free action, can I regret my life choices
A
stranger
stranger
A
Small QOL suggestions, some/all previously said but oh well.

-books! When I stop reading and close a book, please send me back to inventory instead of the main screen
-have some kind of mark on unread/read books, so I would easier know what I've missed.
-looting! There could be a consolidated looting window or whatever after a bigger combat, or a loot all button or something. In Wasteland 3 after a combat and you clicked one body, it would show what you could loot there, and after looting that it would automatically show the next body of loot and so on->lots of "loot all"-clicks, none of the walking around and pixel hunting the specific corpse you haven't looted yet.
-target allies through the portraits
-travel via map (click on a spot on a map, and the party starts walking)
-smarter pathfinding. If a party member spots a trap or a hazard, please don't walk into it straight away. End of combat dive into fire seems a bit stupid.
-space bar shouldn't make choices in dialogue, just skip to the next part.
-Alt should highlight more stuff

Page 23 of 41 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 40 41

Link Copied to Clipboard