Next Thread
Print Thread
X
Xeviat Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
X
Hi Larian. Long time D&D player and DM. Long time Baldur's Gate player. First time Larian games player. I've almost completed my first run through the EA content so far. I like what I've seen. There've been some graphical and audio bugs. A few crashes. Oddities in cut scenes. I'm hoping these get ironed out and it turns out better than Skyrim.

I looked through the first two pages and I didn't notice a thread on Reactions. Currently, reactions either happen or they don't. Attacks of opportunity are triggered on the first one or not. You have to precast Feather Fall or Hellish Rebuke and then they go off no matter what. The combat system is turn based, it should be able to prompt a "attack of opportunity provoked, do you want to attack?" notification.

The way Hellish Rebuke is currently, it went from one of my favorite Warlock spells to now being a spell I'd never take. I don't want to precast it and then have it go off on the wrong random mook. I want to use it when it's going to matter. I'm sure this would be difficult to program, but please try, reaction spells won't be as useful if they have to be precast. (Imagine counter spell).

journeyman
journeyman
It shouldn't be difficult to program at all.

What it would be is potentially incredibly annoying if the player is being constantly prompted to take reactions or not for every character all throughout a fight. That's the annoyance they're trying to avoid. They want combat to be smooth.

That said, I agree completely with you. The way they have it implemented now is crap. Maybe let us "opt in" to the specific reactions we want to be able to decide on and ignore the rest? I get where they're coming from with wanting to avoid spamming the player, but this "solution" doesn't solve anything.

journeyman
journeyman
I'm not sure why AoO isn't working properly, as it works perfectly fine in DoS /shrug. It's just a coding glitch that needs fixing. The attack should take place on the 1st enemy that provokes it - also not sure why you should be able to choose when to use it, as that is just slowing down combat even more for no apparent reason.

.i.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by spaceweed10â„¢
I'm not sure why AoO isn't working properly, as it works perfectly fine in DoS /shrug. It's just a coding glitch that needs fixing. The attack should take place on the 1st enemy that provokes it - also not sure why you should be able to choose when to use it, as that is just slowing down combat even more for no apparent reason.

"For no apparent reason"? Did you read the OP? If some random goblin eats up my reaction by triggering an AoO, that means I can't use Hellish Rebuke when the boss hits me. That should be a choice that I make. Reactions are a limited resource, especially ones that spend spell slots or superiority dice. It's incredibly bad design to just have it go off automatically at the first available opportunity.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by mesmerizedish

What it would be is potentially incredibly annoying if the player is being constantly prompted to take reactions or not for every character all throughout a fight. That's the annoyance they're trying to avoid. They want combat to be smooth.

That said, I agree completely with you. The way they have it implemented now is crap. Maybe let us "opt in" to the specific reactions we want to be able to decide on and ignore the rest? I get where they're coming from with wanting to avoid spamming the player, but this "solution" doesn't solve anything.

I believe the way to fix just constantly getting pop ups about whether or not you want to use your reaction or not is to make it both a precast and a popup question, so say I want to use Hellish Rebuke, I first have to cast it and then whenever an enemy hits my Warlock, it asks if I want to use Hellish Rebuke against that enemy or not. That way it's not popping up every single time an enemy hits you, only after you've precast it. Might still lead to a lot of popups, but it would certainly be less than just having it happen every single time. There's another game coming into EA soon that handles reactions using the popup message system, so we can always take a look at the way that handles as a test to see if it's really as much of a bother as it sounds or not.

X
Xeviat Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
X

In D&D, you can choose to not take a reaction. You might let a goblin run away from you if you, for instance, had readied an action to attack the enemy wizard as they start to cast a spell.

As it is now, you can turn off opportunity attacks, but it's not a toggle per instance. You've either got to open up reactions as a limited resource or let us decide when to do them.

X
Xeviat Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
X
Originally Posted by Pupito
Originally Posted by mesmerizedish

I believe the way to fix just constantly getting pop ups about whether or not you want to use your reaction or not is to make it both a precast and a popup question, so say I want to use Hellish Rebuke, I first have to cast it and then whenever an enemy hits my Warlock, it asks if I want to use Hellish Rebuke against that enemy or not. That way it's not popping up every single time an enemy hits you, only after you've precast it. Might still lead to a lot of popups, but it would certainly be less than just having it happen every single time. There's another game coming into EA soon that handles reactions using the popup message system, so we can always take a look at the way that handles as a test to see if it's really as much of a bother as it sounds or not.

When you precast it, does it use the spell slot? Or does it just add it to your reactions?

S
stranger
stranger
S
totally agree, reactions are a resource we need to be able to manage manually, I wouldn't think it would be that hard to implement a system similar to the way Yu-gi-oh games do it, if a situation prompts a reaction, we should get a say in in if activates

I really dont think seeing quick prompts of "Use this? Yes/No" would be all that annoying, why would I not enjoy using my moves? and just like those yu-gi-oh games we could maybe hold a button to skip all prompts

I'm not incredibly knowledgeable of all the possible reactions but for like Featherfall, one of the potentially harder to program ones, "Falling" could be a special status that procks its activation once so its not going off the whole way down

Last edited by SwordSaintSilver; 15/10/20 04:21 AM.
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by Xeviat

When you precast it, does it use the spell slot? Or does it just add it to your reactions?

In the other game? Dunno right now. In my idea for handling the reactions in BG3? Probably have it work the way it does now except with the message part added in, so when you precast Hellish Rebuke it takes the spell slot up. Would make it easier to add to the game most likely if they didn't have to rewrite the way precasting a reaction spell works on top of adding in the message, and also removes the possible bugs of precasting Hellish Rebuke, using all your spell slots up, and the game still letting you use Hellish Rebuke anyway lol.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by SwordSaintSilver
totally agree, reactions are a resource we need to be able to manage manually, I wouldn't think it would be that hard to implement a system similar to the way Yu-gi-oh games do it, if a situation prompts a reaction, we should get a say in in if activates

I really dont think seeing quick prompts of "Use this? Yes/No" would be all that annoying, why would I not enjoy using my moves? and just like those yu-gi-oh games we could maybe hold a button to skip all prompts

I'm not incredibly knowledgeable of all the possible reactions but for like Featherfall, one of the potentially harder to program ones, "Falling" could be a special status that procks its activation once so its not going off the whole way down

Would make the Shield reaction for Wizards (a spell that is almost necessary for keeping our squishy friends alive) actually useful as well. Imagine casting the Shield spell and it just activates on whatever the next attack to hit you is, what happens if that attack would still beat the added AC from Shield? Then you've wasted your Shield reaction and still take damage, it would be pointless to have it.

T
addict
addict
T
Yeah, I'd rather have this as a toggle than to be constantly prompted with "do you want to X"

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by Thrythlind
Yeah, I'd rather have this as a toggle than to be constantly prompted with "do you want to X"

I see you have yet to feel the pain of your Hellish Rebuke being triggered by an enemy with only 1 hp left while the boss still has half his hp. I don't want to do 15 damage to a 1 hp enemy without any say in it.

journeyman
journeyman
+1 This can be rather annoying.

My Light Cleric was wasting his Disadvantage Burst of Light on wet noodle guy. Feels bad.

As a free action, can I regret my life choices
enthusiast
enthusiast
It should have a toggle just like all reactions. Oversight/Bad Implementation.

apprentice
apprentice

That's not how the rules are written, and depriving the player of the choice eliminates some tactical flexibility.

As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, reactions are a resource to be managed. You don't always want to use them.

Moreover, always using them would makes the choice of whether to Disengage before moving way more powerful. Right now, if I step away from an enemy without disengaging I can force him to consume his reaction, which means the next character up can move without consequence.

Link Copied to Clipboard