Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Crikk Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
When I first saw Fire Bolt was a d6 I was shocked, because it's supposed to be a d10 and is a Wizard's bread-and-butter offence.
Then I realized that they split it into d6 direct damage and d4 field damage. Okay... I can live with that.
But... At level 5, it supposed to go to 2d10.
I'm guessing it's only going to be 2d6+d4 though. So only 3-16 instead of 2-20. That's a bit of a handicap and is going to make Wizard's far less useful.
So, I get that the whole "fields" stuff is sort of Larian's "thing", but just to ensure that Wizards don't become a liability at levels 5+, I think that maybe they ought to revert it to d10 with no field.

Or, if they really want to keep the field, do something like d10 and create a field, but the field only does damage if the target doesn't move out of before the end of their next turn? Don't know if the engine could handle that though.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The better question would be what happens with barrelmancy at lvl 5?

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by Crikk
When I first saw Fire Bolt was a d6 I was shocked, because it's supposed to be a d10 and is a Wizard's bread-and-butter offence.
Then I realized that they split it into d6 direct damage and d4 field damage. Okay... I can live with that.
But... At level 5, it supposed to go to 2d10.
I'm guessing it's only going to be 2d6+d4 though. So only 3-16 instead of 2-20. That's a bit of a handicap and is going to make Wizard's far less useful.
So, I get that the whole "fields" stuff is sort of Larian's "thing", but just to ensure that Wizards don't become a liability at levels 5+, I think that maybe they ought to revert it to d10 with no field.

Or, if they really want to keep the field, do something like d10 and create a field, but the field only does damage if the target doesn't move out of before the end of their next turn? Don't know if the engine could handle that though.

I'm actually a little scared to see what happens to Firebolt at level 5, cause it's not just as simple as d6+d4 damage. Currently it causes burning and creates the ground effect, even if you miss your attack roll, and burning does damage right away, then again at the start of the turn, and then they take more damage from the ground surface. So while the RAW Firebolt's minimum damage is 1, the BG3 firebolt has a minimum damage of 3 even if it misses which is insane. Then while RAW Firebolt might have a max of 10 damage, BG3 firebolt has a max of 18 (22 actually since burn seems to last for 2 rounds, but still). Assuming they scale it up to keep up with the other cantrips at level 5, I'm worried Firebolt is just going to end up being the most OP cantrip around. A cantrip that does guaranteed damage that ignores AC? I almost wish my Warlock had it instead of Eldritch Blast.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by JDCrenton
The better question would be what happens with barrelmancy at lvl 5?

Everywhere I go, you appear cracking jokes at barrelmancies expense.

As a free action, can I regret my life choices
journeyman
journeyman
Wizard's weakness doesn't exist in BG3 ^^
Spell like Acid splash is REALLY op... 1D6 with huge area (for a cantrips) and -2 AC... I just killed Commander Zhalk by spamming this cantrips (he has no acid resist + does it apply some "acid burn" in addition to initial dmg ??).

Last edited by Tylm; 15/10/20 04:53 AM.
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by Tylm
Spell like Acid splash is REALLY op... 1D6 with huge area (for a cantrips) and -2 AC... I just killed Commander Zhalk by spamming this cantrips (he has no acid resist + apply some "acid burn" in addition to initial dmg ??).

Well if that doesn't tell Larian that it's OP, I don't know what does. A level 1 killing a level 8 using cantrips to weaken AC is absurd

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Pupito
Spell like Acid splash is REALLY op... 1D6 with huge area (for a cantrips) and -2 AC... I just killed Commander Zhalk by spamming this cantrips (he has no acid resist + apply some "acid burn" in addition to initial dmg ??).

Well if that doesn't tell Larian that it's OP, I don't know what does. A level 1 killing a level 8 using cantrips to weaken AC is absurd

Oh I threw some acid bomb (3-4) and use 3 Magic Missiles too wink

Last edited by Tylm; 15/10/20 04:57 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Spell like Acid splash is REALLY op... 1D6 with huge area (for a cantrips) and -2 AC... I just killed Commander Zhalk by spamming this cantrips (he has no acid resist + does it apply some "acid burn" in addition to initial dmg ??).

Can also throw all the brine bombs.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by JDCrenton

Can also throw all the brine bombs.

I'm not sure this acid is the same "acid effect". Does more dmg, but not sure about CA reduction !

Last edited by Tylm; 15/10/20 05:12 AM.
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P

Well at least it wasn't pure Acid Splash lol, but still any spell that reduces AC is pretty powerful, giving it to a cantrip is just insane. The bigger question here though is did Commander Zhalk give you any good loot? XD

journeyman
journeyman

Well at least it wasn't pure Acid Splash lol, but still any spell that reduces AC is pretty powerful, giving it to a cantrip is just insane. The bigger question here though is did Commander Zhalk give you any good loot? XD

Average 50% of dmg dealing was from this cantrip i guess (direct and indirect dmg).
Just a **** basic 2H sword lol... and NO XP. Refund !!

Last edited by Tylm; 15/10/20 05:04 AM.
journeyman
journeyman

Nope, I killed him without doing anything crazy. I just ran around looting bodies and when I was about to take Lae'zels inventory and armor and depart I noticed he had 3 hp and hide/shot him real quick. He doesn't seem to drop anything.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by Tomoya

Nope, I killed him without doing anything crazy. I just ran around looting bodies and when I was about to take Lae'zels inventory and armor and depart I noticed he had 3 hp and hide/shot him real quick. He doesn't seem to drop anything.

I'm surprised he got to such low hp, did you have lae'zel attacking him while you looted or something? In all of my run throughs of the prologue so far, he beats the crap out of the mindflayer he's fighting, even had him kill it once before I triggered the cutscene.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Sure needs some rng involved but can be done. You can also notice how the lvl 5 insta teleport script to the transponder if you block the entrance with crap.

Last edited by JDCrenton; 15/10/20 05:09 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Lots of resist, but no acid or force resistance ^^'

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Tomoya

I'm surprised he got to such low hp, did you have lae'zel attacking him while you looted or something? In all of my run throughs of the prologue so far, he beats the crap out of the mindflayer he's fighting, even had him kill it once before I triggered the cutscene.

Nope, before noting his health I hadn't attacked him at all. I had tried that in a prior playthrough and it seemed too slow to be worth it. I figured my mindflayer just had 3-4 sick rolls on the AoE Stun he casts. It can do around 20-30 damage if it hits.

old hand
old hand
Now the evocation wizard not strong enough, I hope he will be made a good damage dealer in the release (without breaking the game)

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I believe you are right, Fire Bolt will just become 2d6 at level 5, while the Burning damage (which is a status effect), will remain 1d4. This will effectively make the cantrip weaker but it can do a small amount of damage regarding whether you hit or miss.

I don't think that will make the wizard weaker at high levels since they have plenty of spell slots at that point. Even more so than they do in 5e since a lot of utility spells have essentially infinite duration, and a lot of concentration spells we see so far last until concentration is lost.

Last edited by Eugerome; 15/10/20 12:17 PM.
C
Crikk Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Right now, I believe the level cap on BG3 is 10. But if they plan on releasing a DLC or making a BG4 that continues with your BG3 character, this will only get worse...
At level 11, you'd do 3d6+d4 (4-22) instead of 3d10 (3-30).

Acid splash is fine with the field. I'm totally okay with that one because that's in step with the rules.
Similarly, they added an ice field to Ray of Frost that can knock characters down, but in that case they left the damage at d8 and even added in the slow movement. So that's a small buff. I find that I've been using RoF more than FB because of this.

veteran
veteran
In theory it should increase its damage roll

Link Copied to Clipboard