Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
1 and 2 conceded, though 1 could just be messy code. hunter's mark?
3. Difference of opinion, then. With bonus actions being more useful in this game, giving one up and some movement still feels like a bit of a sacrifice, and nailing a group of players (or monsters) down just by proximity feels limiting to strategy to me. Rogues DO need something to make up for this, as I addressed in the beginning.
4. We've clearly got very different DMs, then. I wouldn't mind some more constricted tunnel-fights though, for some classic dungeon-crawl feels.

Last edited by Hollowin; 15/10/20 04:32 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by mesmerizedish

3. No, it's not fun. Being able to maneouevre around the battlefield with impunity and still make attacks is a huge part of playing a rogue. When literally everyone can do it, it makes being a rogue feel bad, and it makes fighting enemies really annoying.

You just mentioned one of the biggest problems with having too many abusable mechanics from D:OS. Makes the class system pointless and feel lame.

Last edited by JDCrenton; 15/10/20 04:35 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
1. I'm a ranger.

Are you a hunter?

Colossus Slayer is applying as a separate damage instance in the combat log. It also shows as a separate floating damage number on your targets avatar for this reason. Not sure why it was implemented this way, but its really buggy at this point so I imagine it will get reworked.

Currently, as it stands, it triggers completely randomly. Sometimes with Hunter's Mark, sometimes not. Sometimes at full hp, sometimes not.

Last edited by Tomoya; 15/10/20 04:36 AM.

As a free action, can I regret my life choices
apprentice
apprentice
While I do own the 5E books, and I have read them, I haven't played a live game since 2nd edition AD&D, so at this point I'm more familiar with the BG3 rules than I am with core-5E.

journeyman
journeyman
I could go into detail but I will just say, check out Solasta, which is a pretty close to RAW implementation compare that to the implementation of 5e in BG3. I would be interested to see which one you think feels closer to 5e.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Some of us just don't want to pretend and play like there's a class system all over again. I want to truly feel that party synergy in combat. Like it really does matter having a cleric, wizard or rogue around and it's not just another cosmetic thing like all the rest.

Last edited by JDCrenton; 15/10/20 06:11 AM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Hollowin
I've been playing and running 5e games for a few years, but I've never picked up a divinity game before. It seems like half of the posts on this forum are criticisms of the game for not being exactly like 5e, which baffles me a little. Sure, I think there are a few things to tone down a little, but I think a lot of the shifts are things I not only enjoy in the game, but would implement as homebrew if I thought I could handle the book-keeping and calculations to use them in pen and paper. I love the creative preparation that surface interactions, even when coming from cantrips, provide. Similar bizarre tactics are capable in the pen and paper game with spells like mold earth, shape water, control flame, and prestidigitation, after all. Exploding barrels could have their damage or convenience reduced some, but again, they offer me a way to interact with the game in more nuanced and creative ways if I want to prep the field instead of fighting with brute force. The rogue should be buffed back up after losing expertise and cunning actions, but I still find them functional and the interplay the new bonus actions allow feels awesome, especially since some 5e combats I've played tend to boil down to close in and attack until angry thing dead.
Is the ability of the wizard to memorize any spell balanced? Hah! Not on your life, and in fact it was never intentional, but I've still had fun messing around with it.

Are things perfect and Larian should run wild, source material be darned? No! but if you strip all the additions, the game would feel really shallow, since it'd just be a 5e clone with less customization and no DM improvisation. I think they are by and large taking advantage of the digital format to make the game more interesting rather than less.

I don't know, it just seems like everyone is frustrated with things I've been having fun with. The game still seems to have significant challenge unless your both very clever and very patient, which I feel like should be a given in a turn-based strategy game. Does anyone else feel like this?

All game forums are notoriously filled with people who, no matter how good the game is, will say "this game sucks because you didn't do everything the way I would have done it," as well as people who, no matter how terrible the game, will say "this game is awesome, and you only hate it because you're stupid!"

I agree with you that, by and large, they have remained true to 5e, but even moreso they have remained true to the "spirit" of D&D by not just going with a strict interpretation of the rules. Instead, they are using them as the foundation for making a fun experience for people. I've never yet played a session of D&D where the DM adhered strictly to the rules. I've had a great time playing this game so far, and I think I'll probably continue to enjoy it for a long time.

Ragnar Hammerhand
Slayer of Goblins
Lifter of Weights
Eater of Cookies
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by JDCrenton
Some of us just don't want to pretend and play like there's a class system all over again. I want to truly feel that party synergy in combat. Like it really does matter having a cleric, wizard or rogue around and it's not just another cosmetic thing like all the rest.

This is what makes a good class system. I want to recruit a companion and bring him along to explore the underdark and really feel the difference in my playstyle and be rewarded for adjusting to my new toolkit, and hopefully, be encouraged to steal his class identity for another playthrough or be excited to plug in a few different companions to improve my party synergy further.

As a free action, can I regret my life choices
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
+1

I love this game, sure it made some changes to the 5e rules. Sure some of those changes had unforeseen consequences for some classes.
But you know what? From what I've seen from the pre-release footage until now Larian has made a lot of improvements, and I'm sure they will continue to improve it.

And it seems to me they are trying to make a fun videogame and a fun DnD game at the same time. Some of the changes I feel is there to speed the game up a little. Swapping weapons for instance. Free disengage for everyone too, to be honest. The free hide action I'm not sure I like.

I can understand how the changes to how DC and modifiers work is confusing, and maybe they should change it? To me it wasn't a surprise because I'd seen the pre-release showcases, where they actually mention this. (But it shouldn't be how you learn about it)

One thing I'd like to say though, is of all the DnD games I have played on a computer, this one comes closest to what I play at the table. I don't mind the surfaces etc, while it's "easy" to get here, this is stuff people try to do at the table all the time.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Aurgelmir
One thing I'd like to say though, is of all the DnD games I have played on a computer, this one comes closest to what I play at the table.

[Linked Image]

Ragnar Hammerhand
Slayer of Goblins
Lifter of Weights
Eater of Cookies
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by mesmerizedish
Originally Posted by Hollowin
"Why does my bow damage pop up multiple damage numbers? Why does my offhand attack have a lower chance to hit? Why can everyone disengage as a bonus action? Why are the ranges of some weapons and spells dramatically reduced? Why does Hunter's Mark consume the buff granted by Guiding Bolt? That's just off the top of my head."

1. unsure. Sneak attack?
2. actually a 5e mechanic. You don't add your ability modifier to offhand attacks. That's always been how it works.
3. it's fun and encourages more than "attack until death." If it makes you feel better, the full-action disengage of 5e makes you immune to ALL opportunity attacks invoked that turn, not just the ones jumped away from.
4. because making battlefields, render distances, and ranges that long would be far more strenuous on a digital game than a paper one, and also because it would make melee combat nearly pointless in the largely open maps, as range is already strong in this game.
5. I'm assuming that's a bug, which early access is here to weed out.

1. I'm a ranger.
2. Incorrect. You don't add your ability modifier to the DAMAGE of the bonus action attack, unless it's negative. The attack roll is unchanged.
3. No, it's not fun. Being able to maneouevre around the battlefield with impunity and still make attacks is a huge part of playing a rogue. When literally everyone can do it, it makes being a rogue feel bad, and it makes fighting enemies really annoying.
4. The battlefields themselves are dramatically larger than they are in 99% of tabletop games. That's already punishing to melee characters, who have to spend two turns chasing down enemies instead of actually attacking. The way the game is built makes melee combat almost impossible to actually engage in. Nerfing weapon and spell ranges just makes it so that ranged characters also can't have fun.
5. Cool.

1. Did you pick a subclass that allows for extra damage die? Screen shot the combat log and submit it if it's a bug.
2. It's a bug, it's adding damage but not attack bonus, this is well known.
3. A rogue can do that still and better than everyone else due to having one or two extra bonus actions; you aren't able to maneuver around with impunity because there's limited space and there's also a lot of environmental effects going on. You need to pick and choose and pay more closely to initiative. Not being able to secure a kill or 'lock down' things has tactical implications. Adapt and move on.
4. Hyperbole. You can pretty easily engage in melee, but what you can expect is that they will not be there and that you will either need to give chase or use area denial spells or CC of some kind. With the limit of spell ranges and having to navigate the terrain at times, it makes it so melee can actually engage without taking too much damage if the terrain is favorable.
5. It's a bug.

Basically, you need to sit down and objectively think about the system that's being presented and then compare/contrast. Also keep in mind what audience these changes are meant for or could be for.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I like most the changes made, particularly fire environmental damage, which is not in 5e but existed in previous renditions. Granted, I am a player that throws oil at enemies at low levels in 5e, so...

And I enjoy the bigger battlefields. Since I tend to play ranged characters I often concede the ranged advantage when playing 5e, otherwise I would start all open area encounters 600 feet away as soon as I get sharpshooter and nobody has time to draw maps that big/the rest of the party would be bored to death. In BG3 that isn't an issue. However melee does sometimes feel a bit dangerous, particularly since there is no dodge action (yet). But I think things will get better as soon as we get dodge and hopefully Strength based ranged/thrown weapons.

I do like that the enemies are much more dangerous than in 5e.

The shove as bonus I am not sure I like, it's nice, but I'd rather it was kept as an attack.

Jump/disengage is very strong, but I do feel it speeds up combat, so I am all for that.

That's my take on the changes at least.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard