Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
This game has the same problem divinity original sin 2 has where you get no experience for peacefully resolving conflicts.

What is the point of actually trying to decieve and persuade people when you only get experience for killing enemies?

Lots of 5E campaigns have milestone experience gains.

DOSII had the problem where you would HAVE to just kill everyone in order to play on harder difficulties because if you didn't you would be very underlevled.

Please don't make the same mistake with this game, and allow our player choices to matter. Thank you

addict
addict
+1

stranger
stranger
Yeppers!! This 100% Only murder Hobo's get xp

F
addict
addict
F
So true.

Basically murdering your way through whatever the place is called where this game takes place is the only way to gather XP. Cleverness and social skills are punished, thats not good.

#JusticeForKarlach

Petition to save Karlach: https://www.change.org/p/justice-for-karlach
journeyman
journeyman
Yeah, I couldn't agree more. I usually play as the more dialogue-oriented type of character and it's not fun to think I'm just gimping myself by doing that. To be fair, there is an argument that it doesn't make a lot of sense for you to grow as a powerful fighter or mage thanks to all those charming conversations you had while avoiding actually fighting. But at the end of the day it's a game, and one based quite heavily on exp gain, so you can't really screw the player out of that resource because they're roleplaying in an RPG.

S
stranger
stranger
S
agreed

D
stranger
stranger
D
+1

I came here to say something similar. I feel like the game has some difficulty balancing issues with combat as it is. As a player trying to persuade/deceive their way through encounters, without exp gains those unavoidable combat instances just become incredibly difficult and not very fun anymore. Another related issue is I've noticed that even when I do resolve an encounter peacefully, I'll get comments from other npcs about how I killed so-and-so. Hopefully Larian will add more player choice based commentary from npcs as well as exp for peaceful resolutions.

apprentice
apprentice
+1

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes!! Give us XP for solving things positively and without fighting. I don't like having to choose violence, bc I need more XP.

F
stranger
stranger
F
seconded. I think xp for social situations makes sense. I'm also starting to think that difficulty balancing is going to be a big focus area for Larian working toward full release

stranger
stranger
I agree, solving a problem peacefully should give just as much XP as solving it through battle.
You don't get to loot their stuff, but you also don't take damage, use spells or items, so that should even out.

They'd have to make sure that you can't rake in double experience points by solving the problem by talking, gaining XP and then just backstabbing the NPCs to get their killing XP an top.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
In my tabletop games I generally give XP for "encounters" not combat. You get the same amount of XP for making the bandits run away, that you'd get from killing them.
This encourages clever thinking.

But as KainLexington points out, you have to avoid double dipping.

But I do think you get XP for some social encounters. I leveled up after I talked to Kagha for the first time.

S
addict
addict
S
YES. we need this.

enthusiast
enthusiast
At least this way i would have more incentive to do boring quests.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'v already mentioned it.
Yes, in P&P RPG you suppose to get xp for resolving encounters, not for killing anything that slightly looks hostile to you.
How you would resolve it is irrelevant. Outright combat, convincing hostile party go peacefully, or just stealth pass-by hostiles. As long as you dealt with potential hostiles - you get xp from them.
ONCE. Would you decide latter kill them anyway - you would get no additional xp.

Last edited by Redwyrm; 15/10/20 08:30 AM.
H
stranger
stranger
H
+1

apprentice
apprentice
+1

J
stranger
stranger
J
Specifically, I think characters should have a flag on them for if they have awarded you XP, much like how knock out works. Let players earn XP through social situations, and have them provide no XP for kills (like the prolouge mindflayer and commander) unless a special event resets their XP flag (ie a certain conflict in the grove). The most grotesque abuse of this comes in the form of pursuing dialogue options for special rewards/events (like in D:OS II), and then turning around and killing for XP ontop of whatever reward they earned.

You have created a story, and rewarding players for exploring it should just as bountiful if not more than murdering everything for XP.

journeyman
journeyman
Very much agreed. You are disincentivised from not killing people...you avoid fights through charisma checks and you get nothing...so kill everyone instead? Terrible logic.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard