Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
I am pretty sure that they will keep Minsc a Ranger. After all, Idle Champions had the chance to change his class to Barbarian, and they did not.

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by Abits
The most exiting aspect of having Minsc in my party is the potential banter between him and the companions we got. I hope he won't try to kill them all..it's like five edwins

ROFL!

I will most likely hang with him and Wyll and just muscle through the game with a party of 3 or something.

veteran
veteran
I absolutely going to multiclass him into barbarian if Larian does not make it so or create a custom subclass for him =D

addict
addict

I wonder if these aren't temporary companions files. The full companions will all be origins, that is, selectable at player creation as your playable character.

Karlach works as an origins (outside her class, as we already have a fighter), but her dialogue sound like a lots of other NPCs that tells you to meet them in Baldur's Gate after your are done with their current quest.

Going by a post on Reddit that mention more info about these. Helia = Haslin. Different gender and animal shapeshift, but both are being harassed by goblins kids throwing stones at them. Haslin is clearly not an origins option.

I really doubt Minsc is going to be an origin. He has NPC written all over him.

Originally Posted by Hawke

Helia: The Werewolf

Gosh darn it, another freak? A vampire and a werewolf? grin

Last edited by Goldberry; 15/10/20 02:22 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Warlocke
I think Minsc and Wyll will be great fun together. Minsc probably isn’t smart enough to understand how full of s—— Wyll is, at least not at first, and will take his desperate performance of being a hero as genuine.

True! it would be awesome! I was thinking about minsc and Astarion or shadowheart, they make fun of him all the way and he doesn't get it, but I think the Wyll-Minsc dynamic has even more potential..
"You are the blade of frontier! surely you have slain many evil dragons!"
"yeah... about that.."

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
enthusiast
enthusiast
I think Minsc and Wyll will be great fun together. Minsc probably isn’t smart enough to understand how full of s—— Wyll is, at least not at first, and will take his desperate performance of being a hero as genuine.

Oooh... you are a smart one!

veteran
veteran
So my good-aligned party would be: PC, Minsc, Gale, and a mercenary? That sucks.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by blindhamster

Oooh... you are a smart one!

almost as smart as boo sometimes!

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by kanisatha
So my good-aligned party would be: PC, Minsc, Gale, and a mercenary? That sucks.

Helia could be good. Werewolf druids don’t need to be evil. See Cernd.

journeyman
journeyman
I'm guessing Karlach is likely a bard, based on the look of her gear. KInda also fits her snarky mouth. A barbarian is also possible given she is a Zariel Tiefling, but that would be a waste, honestly, since Tieflings are innate casters and barbarians can't cast while raging. A Barbarian is also unlikely to start with a crossbow, but the class kinda fits her dialogue about the war in Avernus.

Just a thought on (implicit) alignments, keeping in mind the current companions are mostly evil/ neutral and coming ones are likely good:
Astarion: Chaotic Evil (Vampires are usually lawful evil, but this fits better on a rogue running away from his master)
Lae'zel: Lawful Evil (as are all Gith)
Shadowheart: Neutral Evil (as is Shar)
Gale: Lawful Neutral (he seems the least evil of all current companions, imo)
Wyll: Chaotic Neutral (he loves kids and has a revenge story; seems like a standard renegade)
Minsc: Chaotic Good (known)
Karlach: Neutral Good (hard to believe, considering she is a tiefling with a snarky mouth, but maybe? Or maybe Chaotic Neutral (most Tieflings are Chaotic)? Note that bards are almost always neutral along at least one dimension)
Helia: True Neutral (for a Shapeshifter Druid) or Chaotic Good (a Selunite lycanthrope; would be an interesting dynamic with Shadowheart) or Chaotic Evil (a Malarite lycanthrope; highly unlikely given she was being bullied by kids)

Hawke Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by azarhal

I wonder if these aren't temporary companions files. The full companions will all be origins, that is, selectable at player creation as your playable character.

Karlach works as an origins (outside her class, as we already have a fighter), but her dialogue sound like a lots of other NPCs that tells you to meet them in Baldur's Gate after your are done with their current quest.

Going by a post on Reddit that mention more info about these. Helia = Haslin. Different gender and animal shapeshift, but both are being harassed by goblins kids throwing stones at them. Haslin is clearly not an origins option.

I really doubt Minsc is going to be an origin. He has NPC written all over him.

If you would look at the actual files you can see that they have as many reactions and scripts as the already revealed companions, nothing suggests that they are just quick placeholders.

Last edited by Hawke; 15/10/20 02:38 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Im pretty sure we have all the origin characters already in game, Minsc to fill the ranger slot, and Karlach probably dark paladin of some leadership flavor or possibly even a bard by her clothes using her songs to boost her troops in hell, with the werewolf as a shapeshifting druid.

That leaves, sorceror, monk, barbarian, and one other as PC only classes; unless Minsc had a change of heart and converted to Barbarian or Monk.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by macadami
Im pretty sure we have all the origin characters already in game, Minsc to fill the ranger slot, and Karlach probably dark paladin of some leadership flavor or possibly even a bard by her clothes using her songs to boost her troops in hell, with the werewolf as a shapeshifting druid.

That leaves, sorceror, monk, barbarian, and one other as PC only classes; unless Minsc had a change of heart and converted to Barbarian or Monk.

Paladin (or even blackguard) is unlikely for Karlach; paladin subclasses almost never use ranged weapons.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Don’t know what race Helia is, but there does seem to be a distinct lack of stunties (dwarfs, halflings, gnomes). That seems a bit odd.

I know it’s reaching, but I hope this means that there are a few more companions who aren’t represented in the game files, yet.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Don’t know what race Helia is, but there does seem to be a distinct lack of stunties (dwarfs, halflings, gnomes). That seems a bit odd.

If you're saying the game is 'short' on dwarfs, halflings and gnomes, I may have to refer you to the Campaign for Equal Heights.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Sadurian

If you're saying the game is 'short' on dwarfs, halflings and gnomes, I may have to refer you to the Campaign for Equal Heights.

Take an inspiration die.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
If you must go digging through the game files, please don't then decide to start posting potential spoilers with no warning. Thanks.

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I think it was a given Larian were going to use minsc to be honest, he's such an iconic character and they badly need to tie into the earlier games to justify the 3 in its name smile

The ohers were news but had been pointed out in other threads as guesses already

Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
Minsc is a Ranger otherwise he would not have an Animal Companion in Boo.

Only if Boo is real, and I like Boo better as living only in Minsc's head.

If he's actually a companion, I'm hoping for Barbarian because I could use one of those for a tank instead of lizard lady. I don't have much use for a Ranger in my ideal party of 4, and I would almost have to take Minsc for nostalgia's sake if he's available.

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard