Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Originally Posted by Tomoya
Originally Posted by BlueFlames
But you don't have to do it, if somebody really wants to place 40 barrels and blow up the goblin army why not. If you do not want that in your game, then don't do it. Why would it matter?

It breaks the balance of 5e regardless if someone mass loads them pre-emptively.

I am not saying the game would be better without them, but giving feedback suggesting they tone them down. Unlike DoS2 we don't have phys/mag armor to soak up the extremely high amount of damage coming out of both the explosion and the surfaces they leave in their wake, and this goes for enemies as well.

And if your suggesting that people just ignore them entirely that's all good and well but the enemies don't ignore them, so you either use them against the enemy or the enemy uses them against you.

This. You have the same kind of issue in Adventure League modules if players decide to meta the encounters. In DND you are essentially engaging in a story as one of the characters, if you know the story already you can preemptively do things to manipulate the outcome. This can be things as simple as avoiding triggering a trap that you know to be there to gearing up entirely to dunk on a module you know the content of (like bring Dragonslayer sword into a kobold adventure because they're draconian and you know theres a lot of em and its the best weapon to bring)

It is painfully obvious that the person who made the video, knew the boundaries of the invading goblin force enough to scale it up the cliff to where the drow was standing. The biggest difference here is in a DND module, you dont get to save scum, so you can't really immediately reload the game and then premptively setup for what you now know is coming because you just played through it 10 minutes ago.

As far as the power of cheesing your premptive setups with an obliterating series of barrels... I'd really like to know how long it took to set that up.

Last edited by pill0ws; 15/10/20 01:50 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
If my char sucks, instead of learning how to play the class properly or build characters i'll just throw a million bottles/barrels from a cliff like Donkey Kong and call it a day. If i get hit or want support instead of bringing a healer i'll just eat all that food ( since it's even better than potions ) or rest a million times after every battle, etc...

stranger
stranger
This isn't even an exploit.

It's is absolutely intentionally put into the game by Larian. They do it with all their games, they put in a bunch of tools for players to use however they see fit and let players do clever stuff with them.

Heck, I'd allow with in a tabletop game so long as the players took the extra step to have those barrels buried.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Harkmagic
This isn't even an exploit.

It's is absolutely intentionally put into the game by Larian. They do it with all their games, they put in a bunch of tools for players to use however they see fit and let players do clever stuff with them.

Heck, I'd allow with in a tabletop game so long as the players took the extra step to have those barrels buried.

So they want us to mod the game already?

journeyman
journeyman
No one is saying its an exploit, we're suggesting feedback that they dial it back a few notches and hopefully don't build act 2 and 3 with an additional 300 barrels of deathfog.

As a free action, can I regret my life choices
G
addict
addict
G
If there were three exploding barrels in the game, and you had to pick and choose very carefully where you were going to use them, I wouldn't have such a problem with it. The issue is that they're everywhere, and when you have that big of a weapon readily available all the time, it stops being a creative improvisation and starts being a crutch.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by grysqrl
If there were three exploding barrels in the game, and you had to pick and choose very carefully where you were going to use them, I wouldn't have such a problem with it. The issue is that they're everywhere, and when you have that big of a weapon readily available all the time, it stops being a creative improvisation and starts being a crutch.

Or just annoying when you're not even trying to set them off but they inevitable get hit by a mere ember from a nearby spell and trivialize the rest of the encounter.

As a free action, can I regret my life choices
Originally Posted by grysqrl
to just have hundreds of barrels of (probably very expensive) explosive materials just abandoned all over the world feels lazy and unbalancing and it detracts from what makes our characters special.

I think you are failing to realize that this is a world in which oil lamps and Torches are used. Large barrels of oil are used to serve the needs of many villagers. Do we need a backstory for every barrel on the playfield? an acid barrel makes less since than an oil barrel.... hell, even a water barrel makes less since with all the water sources in the game.

Originally Posted by JDCrenton
If my char sucks, instead of learning how to play the class properly or build characters i'll just throw a million bottles/barrels from a cliff like Donkey Kong and call it a day. If i get hit or want support instead of bringing a healer i'll just eat all that food ( since it's even better than potions ) or rest a million times after every battle, etc...

or maybe your char sucks because they didnt port the game directly from D&D but you are bound and determined to play a class because you think its cool, not because it's features translate well into a video game. Case in point, GOO warlock versus fiend, currently theres absolutely zero reason to choose GOO over Fiend, you get absolutely nothing from GOO whereas you get something in return for picking Fiend (blessing of the dark one). The mage hand that arcane trickster, cant pickpocket or pick locks.... maybe Thief is better because of this. Classes arent meant to be played a specific way, the game is designed for open ended solutions, which is why every character can perform the same abilty checks.... and if you want to build a character around throwing items, you will still want certain stats and class options (theif gets another bonus action, can throw two objects a round

the food is in the game so that you dont require a cleric in every party that you ever play in. I know that by giving an alternative to the cleric, yes, they do make her less mandatory. Thats only a problem if you want to be required to bring a healer in a 4 man composition

Last edited by pill0ws; 15/10/20 03:37 PM.
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by JDCrenton
Originally Posted by Horrorscope
Originally Posted by Old-School-Gamer
LOL..I'm not gonna lie. As much as I hate all the barrels - that was awesome smile

Everything in proper moderation.
The mechanic is great to have, just have to be a master designer and know when.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/j9vwjc/astarion_sends_his_regards/

I guess that will be the reputation of BG3, A meme for exploding barrels. There will soon be videos of using exploding barrels to trivialize every encounter. Please No.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
So lets state that the oil in these barrels is Whale Oil.

Whale Oil has a flash point of 230 °C / 446 °F so to get a barrel to explode, you have to vaporize all the oil, mix it with an oxidizer and have it under pressure. Just how much energy are in those Fire Bolts?

If oil was as explosive as Larian is making out, no one would ever cook with it. Yes, oil fires can happen in a kitchen but they are the exception.

I am on board with them weighing more... but lets be honest, you are making up temperatures now, we can just say Firebolt meets the requirements whatever number they may be (its magical, who are you to say magic cant just do magical things)... its a game of "can we take a real life example and complicate a fantasy world situation?"

the problem is players dont want to see other players do things the easy way and know that they had to struggle... or they feel like if the option is there to trivialize something, that they are wasting their time by not using it. We are still talking about a game, not a chore. Ultimately if they make the barrel tactic a chore, you wont see it very much at all except to make fun meme videos like this

Last edited by pill0ws; 15/10/20 03:42 PM.
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by pill0ws
I am on board with them weighing more... but lets be honest, you are making up temperatures now, we can just say Firebolt meets the requirements whatever number they may be... its a game of "can we take a real life example and complicate a fantasy world situation?"

the problem is players dont want to see other players do things the easy way and know that they had to struggle... or they feel like if the option is there to trivialize something, that they are wasting their time by not using it. We are still talking about a game, not a chore. Ultimately if they make the barrel tactic a chore, you wont see it very much at all except to make fun meme videos like this

I am the school that just because we have magic, we do not toss out physics just because, you know, I wizard did it.

OK, what about a flaming arrow. That one fire arrow can vaporize all the oil inside the barrel before it breaches the barrel and everything goes boom?

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I really don't see the problem with the barrels. If somebody has time to collect barrels and win hard encounters with them - let them have their fun.

You don't have to play it that way and as far as I can tell all encounters are beatable without them.

Like, how many encounters actually feature these barrels? From what I can tell its the Goblin Feast section, and two Zhentarim encounters that are full of them.

Compare that to a long list of other encounters that don't have explosive barrels.

S
stranger
stranger
S
"Exploding Barrels" is the essence of D&D.

The players inevitably figure out a way to completely ruin and trivialize an encounter, that the DM has painstakingly planned for weeks if not months.

Well I mean, if i was playing the pen and paper version of DnD i would probably try to pull something like that off as well if I could smile

Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem
I am on board with them weighing more... but lets be honest, you are making up temperatures now, we can just say Firebolt meets the requirements whatever number they may be... its a game of "can we take a real life example and complicate a fantasy world situation?"

I am the school that just because we have magic, we do not toss out physics just because, you know, I wizard did it.

OK, what about a flaming arrow. That one fire arrow can vaporize all the oil inside the barrel before it breaches the barrel and everything goes boom?

I mean, if we are trying to justify handing out nerfs just for the sake of nerfing the barrels, the weight is my first gripe.... its a barrel full of oil, do you know how hard that is to carry? You want to be able to move them but I do think theres some strangeness in the Wizard carrying a couple barrels of oil (cuz they only weigh 20 im pretty sure)

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Most of the problem would be alleviated by increasing the weight of the barrels and making NPCs react to them as potentially dangerous. Just like a lonely bag on an airplane would make people suspicious so should barrels spreading the fine aromas of whale-oil, gunpowder etc.

Last edited by ArmouredHedgehog; 15/10/20 04:08 PM.

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
Originally Posted by Eugerome
I really don't see the problem with the barrels. If somebody has time to collect barrels and win hard encounters with them - let them have their fun.

You don't have to play it that way and as far as I can tell all encounters are beatable without them.

Like, how many encounters actually feature these barrels? From what I can tell its the Goblin Feast section, and two Zhentarim encounters that are full of them.

Compare that to a long list of other encounters that don't have explosive barrels.

Here's another viewpoint. They put those barrels around in different encounters and if you save them up, thats your choice. I dont carry those things around, I loot and sell armor and stuff. You really have to plan out that kind of cheese and dedicate time to it and if you do, then why not have a sweet payoff? Who is to say that fight isnt going to be trivial anyways? I killed all those goblins in packs of 3 while in their base rather than a big battle. My method was not as easy as the barrels but still far easier than the yuge battle becuz I took em apart piece by piece rather than all at once (I tried all at once in the goblin temple and it was silly, the computer takes forever to move that many goblins in battle). So ultimately the barrels are not necessarily even easier than my method, because I played through naturally and streamlined and didnt spend all the time setting up that epic explosion.

Last edited by pill0ws; 15/10/20 04:09 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
if people want to spend their time in collecting those barrels and setting them up for a fight they know is coming, that's up to them.
it's cool that they have the choice in this game to do so.

I personally would not spend that much time in preparation but I will also not force another person to play the game in the way I feel it should be played.

So kudos to them for coming up with that idea...but not like i'm going to use this tactic should i come to the same encounter

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast

I mean, if we are trying to justify handing out nerfs just for the sake of nerfing the barrels, the weight is my first gripe.... its a barrel full of oil, do you know how hard that is to carry? You want to be able to move them but I do think theres some strangeness in the Wizard carrying a couple barrels of oil (cuz they only weigh 20 im pretty sure)

an empty barrel of that scale should weight 110 pounds so yes, I think the weight is also a bit off, barrels of that scale should hold 60 gallons and average weight of oil is 6.5 pounds per gallons so a full barrel should be around 500 pounds, not 20.

If they want to keep them as 20 pound, scale them down to 2.5 gallon / 10 litter kegs that people use for home brewing, that would be around 20 pounds.

Last edited by Merry Mayhem; 15/10/20 04:26 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard