Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gorlash Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
After a week of huge daily updates, I still cannot even get to the main menu... I crash before anything ever displays, with *either* of the drivers.
I have the current NVidia drivers, installed a couple of days ago.

Actually, I *did* get it to run... once... got to main menu, but when I changed video resolution to my actual settings, it then crashed, and has never run again.

My system:
Intel i7-3820 4GHz
video: NVidia GTX 1070ti
monitor: HP 30" 2560x1600

Note that all other Larian games run fine on this system!!

not all those who wander are lost...
apprentice
apprentice
Which launcher are you using? Vulkan or DX11?

Gorlash Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I always try *both* drivers, after each update. I try Vulkan first, when it fails I try DX11, when it fails too, I stop until next update.

Have you tried re-installing Windows XP ?

Great last words.

Oh no. Not again...
Gorlash Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
@Ayath The Troller: why did you even send this post?? I completely miss its relevance to the conversation...

K
stranger
stranger
K
I actually have the exact same problem. First day I installed it, Vulkan didn't work, but DX11 launched fine. After that, 19/20 times it will not launch properly. Vulkan starts the process, but there's no sound or video displayed, and I can see straight through to my desktop. I can't click on anything except Task Manager until I shut the process down, even if I alt+tab around. DX11 loads up a black screen, and if I alt+tab it it is the same as Vulkan. But... if I crit, SOMETIMES it loads up. It probably is around 1/20 times. It's just too bad it takes the launcher so long to load up. Sometimes it loads via the launcher, sometimes it loads correctly by opening the EXE.

Using Windows 7, 64-bit, GeForce 2070 Super, up-to-date drivers (as well as not-up-to-date drivers previously). I have tried every trick people say to use, like running it as Administrator, running the programs in compatibility mode (which I have been doing since I learned that "trick," but I am not sure if it is working). etc.. Sometimes it SEEMS like one of the tricks works, but it's totally unreliable and random, so it's hard to tell.

BTW on the first day, I was using a normal internet connection. Every time thereafter, due to some bull%*)@, I was connecting to the internet via my phone. This may be why the launcher takes so long to load for me. I don't know if the game can or cannot be played in offline more, but assuming it can't, I have no idea why the launcher would need to receive such a complicated approval code to run. I don't see why having a bad internet connection should matter... and frankly, I am not sure if it does matter.

BTW sometimes it launches in Vulkan, sometimes in DX11. I just play it with whatever it launches in.

Last edited by Knightcrawler; 14/10/20 11:22 PM.
Gorlash Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Knightcrawler
I actually have the exact same problem. First day I installed it, Vulkan didn't work, but DX11 launched fine. After that, 19/20 times it will not launch properly. Vulkan starts the process, but there's no sound or video displayed, and I can see straight through to my desktop. I can't click on anything except Task Manager until I shut the process down, even if I alt+tab around. DX11 loads up a black screen, and if I alt+tab it it is the same as Vulkan. But... if I crit, SOMETIMES it loads up. It probably is around 1/20 times. It's just too bad it takes the launcher so long to load up. Sometimes it loads via the launcher, sometimes it loads correctly by opening the EXE.

Using Windows 7, 64-bit, GeForce 2070 Super, up-to-date drivers (as well as not-up-to-date drivers previously). I have tried every trick people say to use, like running it as Administrator, running the programs in compatibility mode (which I have been doing since I learned that "trick," but I am not sure if it is working). etc.. Sometimes it SEEMS like one of the tricks works, but it's totally unreliable and random, so it's hard to tell.

BTW on the first day, I was using a normal internet connection. Every time thereafter, due to some bull%*)@, I was connecting to the internet via my phone. This may be why the launcher takes so long to load for me. I don't know if the game can or cannot be played in offline more, but assuming it can't, I have no idea why the launcher would need to receive such a complicated approval code to run. I don't see why having a bad internet connection should matter... and frankly, I am not sure if it does matter.

BTW sometimes it launches in Vulkan, sometimes in DX11. I just play it with whatever it launches in.

Thank you, I'm glad to hear that someone besides me is seeing this!! I'm *really* wondering if it's a Windows 7 issue, though I don't know why it would matter...

I can tell you, though, that connection speed/quality are *not* the issue, because I have Comcast internet, 200Mbit/second... it works *fine*, the 60GB initial download for this program took about 1/2 hour...

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Gorlash
Originally Posted by Knightcrawler

Thank you, I'm glad to hear that someone besides me is seeing this!! I'm *really* wondering if it's a Windows 7 issue, though I don't know why it would matter...

I can tell you, though, that connection speed/quality are *not* the issue, because I have Comcast internet, 200Mbit/second... it works *fine*, the 60GB initial download for this program took about 1/2 hour...

I have the same issue running the latest updated Windows 10... Only happend to me after the last update. This is quite frustrating.

journeyman
journeyman
Couple of things to check here. As I had an issue at first with my desktop.

One: Check to see where your game is installed. If it is in the x86. Uninstall and move the game to the regular Program File location.
Two: Check your Video Card outside of game. Make sure all the settings use application defaults. Turn off anything that overrides application defaults.
Three: IF YOU CAN, run it on a Solid State drive.
Four: If you got it from steam, play in offline mode at first to get it to load up.

Let me know if you tried these and see where it lands you.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Mezbarrena
Couple of things to check here. As I had an issue at first with my desktop.

One: Check to see where your game is installed. If it is in the x86. Uninstall and move the game to the regular Program File location.
Two: Check your Video Card outside of game. Make sure all the settings use application defaults. Turn off anything that overrides application defaults.
Three: IF YOU CAN, run it on a Solid State drive.
Four: If you got it from steam, play in offline mode at first to get it to load up.

Let me know if you tried these and see where it lands you.

My game is not installed in any of both the Program File Locations but under Programs, at least that's where my Steam folder is.
My videocard should be set to default I only had this laptop for 2-3 weeks and never changed anything to it.
BG3 is installed on an SSD if I'm correct, most of my software is.
Offline mode did not make a difference for me, I've also tried resetting the Larian Launcher, but that didn;t change a thing.

Unlike OP I've had had this game running before the update of yesterday, now nothing. Keep getting CTD at start-up.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Yeah I tried all of the suggested fixes, offline did nothing, game is in the steam folder, my graphics card is on the latest drivers and every other game I have works fine (Including Divinity 2 which is made by the same people). I've tried every fix on the FAQ, pressing shift, starting from the exe, both Vulkan and Directx 11. It's definitely a Larian issue and not a user issue there have been people posting about the problem since launch and I haven't really seen an official response about it. They released a $60 game that simply will not start and will hopefully fix it at some point, only thing to do is sit back and wait.

Last edited by Aorris; 15/10/20 05:19 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
The only other thing I can think of is removing the whole game and re-downloading it. Also delete the files in Documents.

Gorlash Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
@mezbarrena:

My game is installed on my dedicated 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD, which is dedicated solely to gaming. It currently has 360GB free, so space is not an issue.
My video card settings are all at defaults, which have worked fine for all other games, including games from Larian, including both Divinity Original Sin games, which worked *fine* at maximum video settings.
I got it from GOG, not Steam...

The game just isn't working... it's *not* my machine!!!

Okay, I'm going to go back and play Fallout 4 on Ultra settings now... it, of course, works fine...

Gorlash Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Mezbarrena
The only other thing I can think of is removing the whole game and re-downloading it. Also delete the files in Documents.

Hi, Mezbarrena; although my previous response to you was rather grumpy, I *do* appreciate your efforts to assist here...
What we *really* need, of course, is for Larian to fix these issues, but I HAVE to assume that they are working full-time on it!!
This *is* Early Access, which 'by definition' means "we know it's not ready for prime time yet, but we want to get mileage on hundreds of machines, and this is the easiest way to get there!!"

I'm willing to bet nobody at Larian is getting much sleep these days!! I'm confident that they'll get the creases worked out, but of course, I'm starving for a worthwhile new game to play, so I'm a tad impatient!!

N
stranger
stranger
N
At first I was able to play the game on ultra settings, no problem, both Vulcan and DX11. I wasn't able to play until after the 3 hotfixes, but the game ran smoothly and I was loving it. Then.... when the update came out it first filled my SSD even though it stated it was only 1,6GB and I hade 70 something GB free space. That took the whole night to solve but in the end I was able to play again and everything ran smooth. I did end up uninstalling and reinstalling the game. That was two nights ago

Last night, a new update and same disk space issue, was able to sort that out in the end but the game would crash when I clicked play in the launcher, time after time after time. Suddenly it loaded and I could play, but the game was laggy and from the task manager I could see that the game was in and out of running/not responding. Then suddenly it all worked and I got a few hours in with no issues.

Earlier today I was able to play just fine, had a dinner break and have had launcher crash when hitting play / extreme lag when the game does launch / game going in and out of running and not responding and tonight my whole computer follows the running - not responding cycle the game has. I can't play the game and when the game is up, I can't do much with my computer either. No other program is showing as not responding, only BG3, but chrome, spotify, discord, etc. all become unresponsive when BG3 is not responding (according to task manager). I've never experienced anything like this and I am no Lord of the computers, so I have no idea how to troubleshoot any further than what Mezbarrena suggested, which sadly didn't solve anything.

OP, there is no support for Windows 7 why haven't you updated to Windows 10? Maybe if you were on Windows 10 you might not get game crashing on start up.

Gorlash Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by FatePeddler
OP, there is no support for Windows 7 why haven't you updated to Windows 10? Maybe if you were on Windows 10 you might not get game crashing on start up.

Well, because I have used both, and *far* prefer Win7, as many of us do, so I will continue to do so, as long as I can.
And BTW, Larian has *not* said Win7 is not supported...
Correction... you're right, they *do* list Win10 as requirement... I missed that... I'll have to see about getting my money back.

Last edited by Gorlash; 16/10/20 12:33 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard