Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#699711 15/10/20 03:58 PM
Brainer Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
While it's not a deal-breaker by any stretch of the imagination, in my opinion keeping the waypoint system from D:OS opens up the same options for heavily abusing the game as far as combat and escaping out of places and situations go.
The first example that comes to mind is
the totem-stealing quest in the druid grove. While I did manage to pull off snatching it and getting out undetected on foot by taking the lift so that it remains interesting and immersive, all it really takes is casting fog on the totem, taking it and teleporting out using fast travel.

Maybe it will be better if it was limited only to teleporting between the waypoints themselves rather than having access to them all the time? They are located conveniently enough so that walking back to them, if need be, is not time-consuming. It is also curious how Chapter 2 will be handling fast travel if it's supposed to be set in Baldur's Gate. Having rune circles spray-painted throughout the city and our party casually using them to warp around will be a bit... awkward.

+1, limiting fast travel in this way make sense.

enthusiast
enthusiast
+1

M
M
Originally Posted by Brainer
While it's not a deal-breaker by any stretch of the imagination, in my opinion keeping the waypoint system from D:OS opens up the same options for heavily abusing the game as far as combat and escaping out of places and situations go.
The first example that comes to mind is
the totem-stealing quest in the druid grove. While I did manage to pull off snatching it and getting out undetected on foot by taking the lift so that it remains interesting and immersive, all it really takes is casting fog on the totem, taking it and teleporting out using fast travel.

Maybe it will be better if it was limited only to teleporting between the waypoints themselves rather than having access to them all the time? They are located conveniently enough so that walking back to them, if need be, is not time-consuming. It is also curious how Chapter 2 will be handling fast travel if it's supposed to be set in Baldur's Gate. Having rune circles spray-painted throughout the city and our party casually using them to warp around will be a bit... awkward.

The current Fast Travel System also takes away from Spell Casters at later levels making a number of spells obsolete, sadly.

apprentice
apprentice
Oh man idk, i like the 'fast travel to any waypoint, anytime'. I'm terribly lazy and even a 30 seconds walk to a waypoint is too much for me lol.

enthusiast
enthusiast
+1
This plus ubiquitous long rest lets you cheese almost any encounter.

Necromancy is just recycling...
F
apprentice
apprentice
F
+1
I didn't know that you could do this and was traveling between waypoints. Had no trouble.

old hand
old hand
Part of what makes D&D is the journey & travel and everything that happens along the way. While I like it for testing in this kind of thing, i usually like having to walk from city to city and go through interesting areas and then once you reach another city you can fast travel between - with chances of encounters and what not) as it shows days 1,2,3...progressing. Keeps time elements and other things in nice motion. Golden paths to quests, hand holding, teleporting, are all newer inventions.

That being said, people are used to games getting rid of anything requiring patience and there is a good chance of alienating a lot of people who never had to learn it in their youth smile

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
Originally Posted by Orbax
Part of what makes D&D is the journey & travel and everything that happens along the way. While I like it for testing in this kind of thing, i usually like having to walk from city to city and go through interesting areas and then once you reach another city you can fast travel between - with chances of encounters and what not) as it shows days 1,2,3...progressing. Keeps time elements and other things in nice motion. Golden paths to quests, hand holding, teleporting, are all newer inventions.

That being said, people are used to games getting rid of anything requiring patience and there is a good chance of alienating a lot of people who never had to learn it in their youth smile

Makes me miss the days of games like Morrowind, no quest markers and questgivers would give you vague directions that had you wandering in circles trying to find the one rock that looks different from the other. I found the Zhentarim secret Underdark bunker from a quest marker, which was a kinda immersion breaker moment. Not expecting Larian to remove quest markers here given how ubiquitous they are though.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Brainer
Maybe it will be better if it was limited only to teleporting between the waypoints themselves rather than having access to them all the time? They are located conveniently enough so that walking back to them, if need be, is not time-consuming.

You could have teleportation between waypoints only, but because there are no random encounters, walking to a waypoint is not exactly interesting gameplay, and after a while, it will feel more and more like pointless busywork. On the other hand, using fast travel to escape from consequences is abusable and problematic.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Synaryn
Originally Posted by Orbax

Makes me miss the days of games like Morrowind, no quest markers and questgivers would give you vague directions that had you wandering in circles trying to find the one rock that looks different from the other. I found the Zhentarim secret Underdark bunker from a quest marker, which was a kinda immersion breaker moment. Not expecting Larian to remove quest markers here given how ubiquitous they are though.

I wouldnt have looked NEARLY as hard as I did for the wall if that thing wasnt there, it was driving me nuts. I did talk to the wolf who says "there is a stone wall but no stone smell" and you need to get pretty close, but otherwise it kind of taught me a lesson to look more closely. I was thorough, just not THAT close thorough.

Then again they dont have detect magic yet, so that is kind of an issue, we'll see if the implement it...Hmm I wonder if the mask from the hag detects it. I shall test that post-haste.

But yeah, morrowind and stuff having 400 hours of gameplay where Im just learning the world was pretty amazing. Its a hard game to mimic, but there are some good lessons to learn from it.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
As much as I loved Morrowind as a kid, I would never play a game like that now, mostly because of time.

Granted, I do appreciate some games that capture the feeling of navigating the wild, for example the way Outward did it recently.

That said, I think fast travel works fine the way it does now - if I have to run past the same area a bunch of times and nothing changes then it will be very boring.

Plus, I won't have to do annoying jumps in some locations.

Last edited by Eugerome; 15/10/20 06:54 PM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Stabbey
You could have teleportation between waypoints only, but because there are no random encounters, walking to a waypoint is not exactly interesting gameplay, and after a while, it will feel more and more like pointless busywork. On the other hand, using fast travel to escape from consequences is abusable and problematic.

This. I found myself in a specific situation where escaping and going back to safety (spoilers) and then i found out i could return to the safe area just by fast traveling. That killed the whole D&Desque idea I had of this game.
Yes, I know, I could "role play" the game and not use the functionality, but I still feel that the functionality breaks the game in what they advertised it to be- a geniune adaptation of D&D 5e.

I entered the goblin camp, where all the goblins seem to know you are a Absolute Soul or whatever. So I went in the temple and killed the leaders with all the subtlety I managed to, and when it was time to escape I made a mistake and alerted all the camp. I was struggling to escape when I noticed I could use fast travel. Total game breaker.

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Veteran.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
All in favor of limiting it between waypoints.

I'm fairly confident it won't happen anyway.

"Modern gamers" and "game journalists" hate sensible design and reasonable limitations when they are at expenses of immediate convenience, and conversely love immediate convenience above anything else even when it comes at expenses of long term experience.

Last edited by Tuco; 15/10/20 10:01 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Tuco
All in favor of limiting.
I'm fairly confident it won't happen anyway.

"Modern gamers" and "game journalists" hate sensible design and reasonable limitations when they are at expenses of immediate convenience, and conversely love immediate convenience above anything else even when it comes at expenses of long term experience.

bALDuRS GATe EARLy ACcess shOwS wHAt LarIAN iS pLaNNing - and Its nOT Good. Do YOu LiKE WAlkIng FOr houRs ON eNd? theY ARE REmOvinG FAst TRaVeL. i SpeNT 30 SeconDs plaYing and unInStAlLED

journeyman
journeyman
+1

It would be nice for them to have more meaningful banter along the way, that would help with the 30 second walk times.

They can also simplify the chore by allowing us to click a distant point on the map and travel to it.

As a free action, can I regret my life choices
enthusiast
enthusiast
The real problem is that Larian decided they wanted to make DoS 3 instead of a Baldurs Gate game, so instead of multiple segmented and distinct areas, we get a few areas that are just giant blobs of map.

When you think about it, BG 1 and 2 had 'fast travel'. You fast traveled between maps and areas of the cities. But it wasn't teleportation (for the most part). That meant random encounters, story development opportunities, etc.

+1 and remove fast rravele. If you dont have time to lick on the screen to walk somewhere you dont have time to play the game at all.
Why even bother playing.

old hand
old hand
Remember Everquest and only mages could bind to a city and TP people and you had to run across zones to get anywhere? Pepperidge farm remembers.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Synaryn
+1, limiting fast travel in this way make sense.

+1. Can fast travel only between 2 waypoints !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard