Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hopefully, Larian will allow us to respec our companions at some stage so we can get the most out of them. I know Larian said that the custom PC's will be just as involved as the Origins, but I will believe it when I see it.

Evil always finds a way.
Originally Posted by DirgeNovak
I prefered playing origin characters in Dvinity 2, but I will stick to my own characters in BG3, I have no interest in playing as the companions.

Same, I loved playing origin characters in DOS2, but here its just a different case. I mean we have so many races and classes and appearances to choose from, why would I want to play someone pre-set. I do like all companions, but this is D&D, let me play my own special snowflake.

"There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed." - Tamoko
journeyman
journeyman
None, I will create my own character and if possible, the full party.

R
R
I will mainly play custom mades but when they open up origins it will either be Wyll or Gale.

Last edited by Relampago; 15/10/20 01:08 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
None to be honest. I didn't even play the origin stories in DOS2. I want to play my character and be able to see their stories unravel as we travel - objectively. I hope more gets added to flesh out character interaction and party chemistry.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Defintly Lae'zel I might even play her before I try a custom character.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
As a large part of the fun I have in playing RPGs is creating characters, I will make my own. None of the premades hold much interest for me.

ETA: I'd happily play Nettie as a character, however. Especially if I can bring along my spiked naughty stick.

Last edited by Sadurian; 15/10/20 12:03 PM.
C
stranger
stranger
C
None. It's just that an important part of the fun for me, is creating my own character and I think the origins already make interesting companions.

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Wyll is the only one I really like, he really got this hero spirit BG is all about, and I would love to play his origin. Also, I have this speculation that he is related to Valygar Corthala from BG2, and if I am right it be so amazing. The rest are cringy, edgy and mostly unfriendly to the point that I am not even sure why they hang with my character if they are so awesome and amazing on their own. And Gale with his Elministar backstory reap-off.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by chocamocha
None. It's just that an important part of the fun for me, is creating my own character and I think the origins already make interesting companions.

Exactly this. One of the most enjoyable aspects of rpg's for me is roleplaying a character I myself have created. Playing with a character that has been predetermined takes away a large portion of the enjoyment for me since it's not... well... me.

I also vastly prefer getting to know other ingame characters that way: as a stranger that others may open up to over time once we get better acquainted. Meaning I have no need to experience characters' 'stories' by playing them myself... I respect other people enjoying it, but for me, it takes away part of the magic. smile

veteran
veteran
I am also very strongly in the NONE group. Playing a pre-made character, especially in a D&D game, is borderline heresy. Making and playing my own character is a HUGE part of my fun playing a game like this.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
I am also very strongly in the NONE group. Playing a pre-made character, especially in a D&D game, is borderline heresy. Making and playing my own character is a HUGE part of my fun playing a game like this.

same. I do wish they would dump this stupid idea but what can you do.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Originally Posted by Abits

You don't have to use it, so not sure why it bothers you. I mean, Baldurs Gate 1 only had one character story available - CHARNAME who is the child of Bhaal. This one has 5 + el generico. It seems you can change some of the class/stats of the pre-mades.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Bossk_Hogg

You don't have to use it, so not sure why it bothers you. I mean, Baldurs Gate 1 only had one character story available - CHARNAME who is the child of Bhaal. This one has 5 + el generico. It seems you can change some of the class/stats of the pre-mades.

that is exactly the issue, you nailed it in your own description "el generico" isn't what anyone wants, they want the story for the main character to be at least on par with the "origin" characters (who are companions if you don't play one of them, allowing you to experience their stories as an outsider anyway).

to be clear, i don't know that people want "the chosen one" but they do want their custom character to have an interesting story based on the choices made during character creation, I think Larian has maybe said that will be the case here (unlike D:OS2 where a custom character is lacking quite badly compared to origin ones).

Last edited by blindhamster; 15/10/20 06:09 PM.
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I will probably have my first custom a human sorcerer. I want to see how they implement the Bloodlines, hopefully like Kingmaker where you can select your origin (colour matters for Dragon descended Sorcerers). I want to see if I pick a Red Dragon Sorcerer and if Lae'zel will have any interesting ideas.

Evil always finds a way.
journeyman
journeyman
none, origin system is bad for rpg

Last edited by arion; 15/10/20 06:57 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
I said none, but a playthrough as Minsc actually might be fun. I’ll think about that.

Oooh, you will be able to start the game with multiple characters. Maybe I’ll start with Minsc and play him as the hero, but create a custom character to be my stand in whom will act as his consistently exasperated side-kick. That way I can have the best of both worlds.

Last edited by Warlocke; 15/10/20 07:09 PM.
Originally Posted by blindhamster
Originally Posted by Bossk_Hogg

that is exactly the issue, you nailed it in your own description "el generico" isn't what anyone wants, they want the story for the main character to be at least on par with the "origin" characters (who are companions if you don't play one of them, allowing you to experience their stories as an outsider anyway).

to be clear, i don't know that people want "the chosen one" but they do want their custom character to have an interesting story based on the choices made during character creation, I think Larian has maybe said that will be the case here (unlike D:OS2 where a custom character is lacking quite badly compared to origin ones).

I don't feel that way at all. My characters live well enough based on what's in my head and their actions in-game. As soon as Larian starts to provide an "interesting story" for them, even one based on player choices during character creation, it's less my character and more Larian's character. If I wanted that I'd play an origin character.

old hand
old hand
None most likely, I prefer to make my own, premades are always going to have some kind of story arc where I am screaming "you bloody idiot" at the screen for an immersion breaking decision they made in the past.
If premades were the only options then Gale or Astarion because I usually play mage or rogue types. Possibly Shadowheart because I find Shar interesting.

C
C
Originally Posted by TheAscendent
So which of the five available companions/origins would you like to play?
For me, Wyll and Gale are most interesting as a playable origin, and either one would complement my ideal party of Lae'zel, Shadowheart and Astarion.
Gale makes for an excellent evocation wizard, his own story and even his name highlight is affinity for elemental magic.
Wyll would make an excellent Pact of the Blade Warlock and his quest for redemption is intriguing.

Playing their garbage edgelord characters. HAHA. that's a good one.

Game can not come out with a completely customizable party fast enough. I'll play without characters not actively trying to harm the party thanks. I can role play a lawful evil jerk in my party just fine without having a party memeber that attacks people at night, or eats magical items, etc

Last edited by CamKitty; 16/10/20 07:01 AM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard