Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by AnonySimon
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by Abits
Boo is real. I just don't think he is really a giant miniature space hamster.

Miniature giant space hamster.

Even if Miniature Giant Space Hamsters aren't real, Giant Space Hamsters are real.

???

Eh, sorry, I’m missing your point. I know giant space hamsters are a thing in D&D.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Spelljammer and the Monstrous Compendium pre-date BG by a number of years.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Originally Posted by Hawke
I looked through the game files and found the missing companions!

Companions/Origins

Minsc Ranger: the only returning companion from the Bhallspawn Saga
Helia: The Werewolf
Karlach: already in the game but haven't found her class

[img]https://imgur.com/GrFYAee[/img]

That makes 8 compaions in total, I doubt they will add more than those.

karlach? ill take the blue greatsword over her

B
stranger
stranger
B
Where did you find the files?

G
stranger
stranger
G
But Minsc should be like a level 30 character by now no? after Throne of Bhaal when everyone got maxed out.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
For all we know something could have knocked a few levels off of Minsc in the 100 years since BG2. Could he even achieve such an age?

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
veteran
veteran
Why does it matter?

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Man, Minsc would be such a bad idea. He is or has been one of peoples favorite companions and it'd be just too easy to screw him up. If folks are angry about the state of things now wait until they fuck up a beloved companion from a previous game.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by vyvexthorne
Man, Minsc would be such a bad idea. He is or has been one of peoples favorite companions and it'd be just too easy to screw him up. If folks are angry about the state of things now wait until they fuck up a beloved companion from a previous game.

Most people aren’t upset. Most people are very happy.

G
stranger
stranger
G

I agree. He will most likely won't even have the same voice actor (really hope I am wrong here).

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Godforsaken
But Minsc should be like a level 30 character by now no? after Throne of Bhaal when everyone got maxed out.

The way I interpret levels is that they are not a permanent thing. When a character is involved in a campaign they are being pushed to their limits because of extreme pressure, desperation, and motivation. A retired or aged adventurer would not retain all of their levels. They wouldn’t necessarily drop to 1, but I’m willing to accept that contrivance to adventure with Minsc, again.

W
veteran
veteran
W

I agree. He will most likely won't even have the same voice actor (really hope I am wrong here).

They got Jim Cummings to come back for Siege if Dragonspear. Why wouldn’t they be able to get him for BG3?

enthusiast
enthusiast

The way I interpret levels is that they are not a permanent thing. When a character is involved in a campaign they are being pushed to their limits because of extreme pressure, desperation, and motivation. A retired or aged adventurer would not retain all of their levels. They wouldn’t necessarily drop to 1, but I’m willing to accept that contrivance to adventure with Minsc, again.

Also different editions, so no 1:1 correlation of rules from that. And he was turned to stone for a long time (like.. 100 years or something mad like that)

Hawke Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by BladeKuroda
Where did you find the files?

I used a programm to open the early access files.

Originally Posted by AnonySimon
Boo is real. I just don't think he is really a giant miniature space hamster.

Miniature giant space hamster.

Even if Miniature Giant Space Hamsters aren't real, Giant Space Hamsters are real.

I wonder whether is it a retcon

A quick google search shows that Giant Space Hamsters first appeared MC7 Monstrous Compendium: Spelljammer Appendix (1990), while Baldurs Gate was released in 1998.

A
stranger
stranger
A
There is a comic that came out a couple of years ago with Minsc, in it I think it was that he had been turned to stone and was used as a statue.
When released from his petrified state he and his trusted companion Boo continued to fight evil.

Not sure at what date in the world this occurred, but it could explain why he isn't an old man.

Found this " Sometime in the 1480s DR, the Beloved Ranger was accidentally struck by a wild magic surge caused by the wild mage Delina, as a result of an attempt to cast a spell at an attacking gargoyle. The surge dispelled the petrification effect, returning Minsc and Boo to life. "

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Minsc

Last edited by Angra; 15/10/20 07:01 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Angra
There is a comic that came out a couple of years ago with Minsc, in it I think it was that he had been turned to stone and was used as a statue.
When released from his petrified state he and his trusted companion Boo continued to fight evil.

Not sure at what date in the world this occurred, but it could explain why he isn't an old man.

Minsc is unpetrified a few years before BG3.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
While I'd live to adventure with Minsc again, I think his personality would jar significantly with the edgelord-ish tone that the other NPCs all seem to have. He would either feel ported from another game (because he had been) or they'd "deepen" him in such a way as to make him completely different from the original Minsc. Viconia would work just fine in the setting they put together. Even Jahira. But Minsc is just too innocent and lighthearted of a character.

I don't mind the idea of a Teifling in the party, but why does it have to be Karlach? There were plenty of perfectly nice, good-aligned seeming Teiflings in the refugee camp. I'm really sick of the number of evil-ish female characters in the game.

I would presume the werewolf is actually going to be a Druid shapeshifter or something? Cernd sucked, but I'd like to see it done right.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Why are people assuming Karlach is evil? You meet her while she is bleeding out after having been hunted by cultists, but if you convince her that you aren’t a threat she relaxes and there is nothing about her to suggest she is evil. She was forced into participating in the Blood War and enjoyed killing demons. These are not inherently evil traits.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Why are people assuming Karlach is evil? You meet her while she is bleeding out after having been hunted by cultists, but if you convince her that you aren’t a threat she relaxes and there is nothing about her to suggest she is evil. She was forced into participating in the Blood War and enjoyed killing demons. These are not inherently evil traits.

Under the traditional understanding of D&D alignment, someone who is largely out for themselves is Evil with a capital E, even if they aren't into kicking puppies and children for fun. At best, Karlach may be neutral in alignment similar to Wyll and Gale. Which might be a step up from Lae'zel and Shadowheart, who basically hate every decision I make, but I'd like to have one good-tilting NPC in the party, you know?

Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard