Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
At level 3 rangers get the choice to pick the Beast Master feature which grants you an animal companion. Since only 1 animal companion is allowed, you can no longer have an animal from "find familiar" granted from Beast Tamer at level 1. These two features are completely incompatible.

"Beast Master" sounds like it should be the natural progression from "Beast Tamer" so these features shouldn't be so incompatible. Either the number of companions needs to increase or one of these features should be reworked somehow.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Agreed, I choose "Beast Tamer" at first, and I regretted that decision later on.

+1. The game can clearly handle you having multiple subcompanions, I've had Glut, Connor, and my familiar all with me and no issues. Lot of new people will pick Beast Tamer and then get upset when they pick Beast Master and find out they can't have both.

T
addict
addict
T
Eww, didn't realize this was an issue. Yeah, I agree here.

Yup, it sucks as implemented. Blueberry wants his stupid bear and spider.

V
stranger
stranger
V
Had this problem as well. Was disappointed and wishing I'd picked a different starting set.

Reality is Merely and Illusion, Albeit a very persistant one - Albert Einstein
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Yeah. Granted, I would rather go with Beast Tamer letting you speak with animals at will, which I think would be more fun in my opinion.

Plus, they put a lot of effort in animal voices, so it is nice to have a ranger talk to them at early levels (since you probably need to prioritize combat spells early on).

Also would be incredible if you could talk to your animal companion. From what I can tell that is generally a recurring theme whenever people have animal companions in game.

stranger
stranger
Yeah, +1.

I already started a threat on this topic, and you are right. Those features should better sinergyze, or Animal Tamer needs to be reworked into something like granting you Animal Friendship as a free spell, or maybe Speak with Animals. Let us have our little animal friends with us!

If nobody came from the future to stop you, then it's not a bad decision.
veteran
veteran
I agree. If the Familiar can't attack or shove, this should not be a question of balance.

Originally Posted by Stabbey
I agree. If the Familiar can't attack or shove, this should not be a question of balance.

It can attack, just not well and they have low hp. No shoving though.

Link Copied to Clipboard