Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#680698 08/10/20 09:43 AM
Tarorn Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Is it just me - these appear way to fast and camera angles are very bad. Of the many critical cutscenes I think I’ve actually been able to view maybe one or two only - rest are locked from view & over super quickly.
Would love this to be altered as critical hits are a key feel good moment

95% of my critical hit cut scenes were just staring at a wall I think I actually saw one that gave me the feeling of impactfullnes, that being said the combat is still bad.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Yeah I agree. I remember especially a very good critical hit on Netty from Lae'zel that I didn't see, because the camera switched suddenly behind one of the walls...

Last edited by Nyanko; 08/10/20 09:48 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Yes, totally true. You can't even see the damage you do because the little crit cutscene obscures it.

I want to see all the dice rolls to be honest, not just the crit flash.

veteran
veteran
The camera is broken but I love em

journeyman
journeyman
If the roll is calculated as you click to finalize an attack/spell, it would be nice for the camera to immediately zoom into that character doing it; I want to watch that arrow fly and crit that enemy. I want to watch that axe swing absolutely destroy that goblin.

I'm sure they'll make it so it can't go through objects like walls anymore, but it would be nice to actually have time slowed down a little bit so we can really feel the impact of it, ala Skyrim style.

addict
addict
I don't like them, they slow down combat for nothing, especially when the camera doesn't even work properly for them.

I much prefer just getting the big CRITICAL HIT message.

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Originally Posted by azarhal
I don't like them, they slow down combat for nothing, especially when the camera doesn't even work properly for them.

I much prefer just getting the big CRITICAL HIT message.

A game level setting would solve this. I absolutely LOVE the cutscenes and wish we had more, but respect that everyone is different. Toggles would make everyone happy!

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Originally Posted by Tarorn
Is it just me - these appear way to fast and camera angles are very bad. Of the many critical cutscenes I think I’ve actually been able to view maybe one or two only - rest are locked from view & over super quickly.
Would love this to be altered as critical hits are a key feel good moment

Crit hits are awesome, just not when:

1. Terrain blocks the view of a crit finisher.
2. The crit finisher is done and all you really see is the crit gold die
3. You just plain cannot see it due to vision be blocked by a LARGE monster.

I don't mind finishers, but they need to be fixed, and like Ninthplane said, have a toggle for those who do not wish to see them.

Originally Posted by Okidoki

2. The crit finisher is done and all you really see is the crit gold die

Wait, there's more to critical hits than looking a a big gold D20?

The times I've had it trigger, I've never had a good camera angle where I could see what's happening. It's always blocked by clipping in the scenery That's probably just a work in progress, and I'd trust Larian to fix it before release. The camera needs work in other areas too, like getting confused around tall objects.

The Crit scene should be an on/off toggle in settings though, because it does slow down combat and not everyone will like it.

Last edited by Frumpkis; 15/10/20 08:30 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Vast majority of my crits involved the camera on the far side of a wall or terrain, the one's that did give me a clear view, I still hated. It interrupts combat flow and has the potential to be somewhat jarring for the player because their camera just went awol while they were already redirecting it to where they as the player wanted the camera to be not to mention it seems to input buffer a bit as well so the camera is in a different place after the crit, it never returns to where it was before. This is very obviously one of those annoying "flashy feel-good moments" devs put in that people try to button bash to speed up or skip after the first few times and I never understood why these things are put in. I mean I get it in a game where a kill cam shows a highly detailed kill animation, but in a cRPG, with very limited spell and ability animations, it doesn't make any sense. I don't want an up close, detailed view of a generic animation/particle effect that triggers a generic death animation on the victim. It's just wasting the time of both players and devs. Seeing the word critical, a little screen shake on impact and seeing the damage number bigger than normal is all I want.

Unless there is a serious number of animations still to be done, this just seems like a bad idea. If we're getting that huge variation of death animations added then sure it would be cool to see how my warlock's eldritch blast cut someone in 2 or blew their head up or took off a limb, but then, considering every crit represents getting a particularly devastating hit, then you run into the issue of how a one armed bugbear is dual wielding longswords, unless you add rules to govern limb loss at which point you're onto the 5E called shot debate, which has, niche appeal at best because no one can agree on fair, balanced rules to do it.

Kill cams and crit cams are a gimmick to showcase detailed animations and depictions of gorey results, showing 20 on a dice and a close up of an ability impact with no special animation is not the same and it doesn't have the same gripping feeling of similar action cams in games designed to take full advantage of that kind of visual reward. Please, please do not make such camera shots mandatory, should allow them to be disabled in menu at the very least.

TLDR: The crit cam is at best a gimmick with limited appeal and at worst an annoyance to players.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I like them, but still needs some work. When the gold die finally goes away the character already finished attacking and just stands there.

Necromancy is just recycling...
enthusiast
enthusiast
It looks exactly like an unpolished EA implementation would. Bad camera angles all the time.

journeyman
journeyman
+1 Really needs work

Last edited by VhexLambda; 16/10/20 12:06 AM.
L
apprentice
apprentice
L
+3548 Camera angles/manipulation bad. Critical Attack cut scenes = close up of a DnD die cut in half...very cool..............NOT(Borat reference)

O
Onx Offline
stranger
stranger
O
100% needs some camera work; something to recognize when there's an object in the way of the angle. Additionally, the camera skipping off of characters responding to an attack during Riposte needs some help. The hype of the moment and duel is cut short by camera quick switching to the next characters turn. I don't want to have to turn that feature off just to see if I successfully Riposted!

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
The concept of a critical cutscene is cool, reminiscent of Skyrim Criticals. It might even be cool if the camera were to slow down to show the critical. As it is, it happens super fast and is janky.

Link Copied to Clipboard