Print Thread
#700276 15/10/20 07:32 PM
K
Kolvaer Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
K
I think Disguise Self has some pretty awesome potential...

Here's some suggestions:

1. When clicking the Disguise Self spell to cast, put in a "Customize" button in the option window that currently pops up. This would take you to the character creation.

2. Let players customize and save appearances for each race and gender of each race in addition to having the options we currently have for those who don't want to spend the time. And even have one-off appearances so the hypothetical Save Disguise button would be optional.

3. Let players turn into humanoids they've battled/talked to/met.

4. Let players choose clothing and armor options with colors too (Why not? Since its a disguise, nothing you appear to be wearing is real)

5. Let players have fun with it. Mix and match you know?

old hand
old hand
I tried to have Astarion cast the spell. It gets read and he has the 3 images around him but he has no valid targets and the pick-a-race never pops up.

One of the things I was thinking it should do it pick a random NPC in the area and copy them. Or pick the majority, I don't know. But doin a grab or a "copy" of the one you want to talk to would be divine.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
G
addict
addict
G
Yeah, the most fun use of Disguise Self is usually to copy a specific person. If there were an action you could take to study someone - and that would store them away either for a certain amount of time, or maybe you could only remember a few people at once and have to forget someone to learn someone new. That would be really excellent and would probably be a huge pain for Larian to update all of the possible dialog trees.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by grysqrl
Yeah, the most fun use of Disguise Self is usually to copy a specific person. If there were an action you could take to study someone - and that would store them away either for a certain amount of time, or maybe you could only remember a few people at once and have to forget someone to learn someone new. That would be really excellent and would probably be a huge pain for Larian to update all of the possible dialog trees.

Which is probably why they're absolutely not going to do that, and why I'm absolutely not going to blame them if they run away screaming.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
This is another one of the Larian treated spells.

Disguise self is more like Fane's mask in DoS2 (which let's all be honest, we used these masks to turn into elves so we can get the larger action economy)

While i do agree that Disguise self should be more like 5e, we also need to take into consideration what this entails in a video game setting. To be concise, tons and tons of interactions for EACH disguise that takes the look of another notable npc.

Honestly it feels like too much work to be used freely.

However i would not mind if Disguise self was given as an option in a conversation leading up to a certain quest or two, sure its railroady and controlled, but that is kinda what you have to do if you wanted to stay in 5e territory.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Okidoki
This is another one of the Larian treated spells.

Disguise self is more like Fane's mask in DoS2 (which let's all be honest, we used these masks to turn into elves so we can get the larger action economy)

While i do agree that Disguise self should be more like 5e, we also need to take into consideration what this entails in a video game setting. To be concise, tons and tons of interactions for EACH disguise that takes the look of another notable npc.

Honestly it feels like too much work to be used freely.

However i would not mind if Disguise self was given as an option in a conversation leading up to a certain quest or two, sure its railroady and controlled, but that is kinda what you have to do if you wanted to stay in 5e territory.

I used the mask for WAY more reasons than that. It was to turn into an elf and eat bodies too.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Originally Posted by Orbax

I used the mask for WAY more reasons than that. It was to turn into an elf and eat bodies too.

I stand corrected, you are right.

Last edited by Okidoki; 15/10/20 07:58 PM.
U
stranger
stranger
U
Maybe one workaround to improve disguise self is to have an option within the spell’s hotbar popup options to “Remember appearance” which allows you to store up to 3 npc or pc appearances to choose from in addition to the options available. But then, if you walk into the druid camp disguised as one of their druids, there may need to be additional dialogue options in order to pull off the ruse. So maybe Larian doesn’t want to go down this road...

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I'd be happy if they just let me customise every single character for every race in Disguise self.

L
stranger
stranger
L
i just want to look like that drow lady when i talk to the main bugbear

addict
addict
Being able to copy the look of a specific character would be amazing, but I don't think it's viable for narrative reasons mentioned above.

However, I think you should have the following options upon casting:
- disguise as a random person
- disguise as a random person (specific race/gender)
- create persona (takes you to character creation screen)
- select created persona

Link Copied to Clipboard