Next Thread
Print Thread
Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
DISCLAIMER.
This is borrowed straight from reddit.
I take absolutely no credit about the content of the thread, I just spotted it and thought it deserved more visibility because it makes an excellent point:

https://old.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat..._should_apply_to_world_interactions_too/

[Linked Image]

"I thought I was being clever casting silence before busting the wall down but sleeping enemies kept waking up every time".

Another comment in the same thread:

ep I silenced Kagha to prevent her from yelling to kill the tiefs but no doing. Hold person doesn't work either. It's the kind of heavy handed design that gets under my skin.

Plus a possible bug:

Silence also block some weapons actions (but not all), like "Rush" with a spear. Can't really see why, unless you have to scream for it to be effective. Or it's a bug.

Last edited by Tuco; 15/10/20 08:26 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Same if you want to silence priestess gut in her chapel, she keeps calling for reinforcements

Originally Posted by Moirnelithe
Same if you want to silence priestess gut in her chapel, she keeps calling for reinforcements

I literally did this. I didn't know she was gonna yell, but I cast silence on her before her turn because ... well ... she has priestess in the name, I'm expecting spells are gonna start slinging. I was pretty disappointed that my silence didn't affect her yelling at all.

Similarly, casting silence on the war drums.

addict
addict
+1. Should be blocking all types of sounds. Doesn't help against Harpies either.

enthusiast
enthusiast
They are also supposed to be deafened according to the original 5e ruleset.

journeyman
journeyman
+ 1 all !

old hand
old hand
YES.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by JDCrenton
They are also supposed to be deafened according to the original 5e ruleset.

They maybe deafened but they will still feel the quake of barrelmancy.

As a free action, can I regret my life choices
L
addict
addict
L
This are all great suggestions, and really embody the kind of problem-solving they’re going for. I’d imagine quite a hard one to program though, just for one spell.

D
old hand
old hand
D
It should work AT ALL.

Ive had enemy spellcasters stand in my aoe, use voice lines to call for reinforcements casting spells in my face while my people couldnt cast anything at all.

Ive also had an enemy cast silence and while in his own bubble still able to cast spells..............

Seriously, does it effect anyone other then the player?

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted by Tuco
DISCLAIMER.
This is borrowed straight from reddit.
I take absolutely no credit about the content of the thread, I just spotted it and thought it deserved more visibility because it makes an excellent point:

https://old.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat..._should_apply_to_world_interactions_too/

[Linked Image]

"I thought I was being clever casting silence before busting the wall down but sleeping enemies kept waking up every time".

Another comment in the same thread:

ep I silenced Kagha to prevent her from yelling to kill the tiefs but no doing. Hold person doesn't work either. It's the kind of heavy handed design that gets under my skin.

Plus a possible bug:

Silence also block some weapons actions (but not all), like "Rush" with a spear. Can't really see why, unless you have to scream for it to be effective. Or it's a bug.

I agree , if the game is to be creative, Silence should work in this kind of case...

BUT you need to add countermeasure for the creature. Like, the priestess is silenced? She may goes straight for a wardrum. Or throw a bomb outside of the silence sphere that would alert guard. This would be really interesting, because you'd have to bind or knock or kill her before her turn is up even though you silenced her. also would add one more layer to the realism / role play.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
veteran
veteran
+1. I attempted the same thing, silencing the region around the cracked wall. When that didn't work, I tried silencing the region around the sleeping goblins. Also didn't work.

addict
addict
+1, Larian have stated their philosophy is (paraphrasing) "the world should react like you'd expect it to react/if a player thinks of a solution, it should be possible". This is one of such things.

(Might also be funny to cast Silence and try to initiate dialogue, just for NPCs to raise their eyebrows and shrug.)

E
stranger
stranger
E
So far, I have only found one area when the Silence spell worked at all. Does not Silence
* Goblin princess - she still calls for reinforcements
* Goblin war-drums - still calls in more goblins
* Cracked wall - goblins still hear the racket
* Hook horrors - still call for alarm

However, in casting Silence on the Hook Horror that surprised jumped into my party, Silence DID work on all my surrounding party members.

This should be a much more useful spell.

Link Copied to Clipboard