Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
W
veteran
veteran
W
What makes you think she is only out for herself?

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by Telephasic

Under the traditional understanding of D&D alignment, someone who is largely out for themselves is Evil with a capital E, even if they aren't into kicking puppies and children for fun. At best, Karlach may be neutral in alignment similar to Wyll and Gale. Which might be a step up from Lae'zel and Shadowheart, who basically hate every decision I make, but I'd like to have one good-tilting NPC in the party, you know?

I feel you there, seems like every decision I make I see "Shadowheart/Astorian/Lae'zel disapproves".

W
veteran
veteran
W
I think this is a lot of conjecture predicated on very little data. There is nothing to suggest she is evil. Larian said they added the evil and neutral companions first and the good ones would come later. That is not to say it is certain she isn’t evil, but I think it is too early to jump to conclusions.

I sincerely hope that isn't all for the companions. That'd leave pretty much no female companions that I like. My party is going to end up like FFXV at this rate

apprentice
apprentice
My only issue with Karlach is that she seems to be wearing, what, ringmail? I just don't know what class she's supposed to be.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Maxximenez
My only issue with Karlach is that she seems to be wearing, what, ringmail? I just don't know what class she's supposed to be.

Lae’zel, Astarion, and Shadowheart are wearing their unique outfits from the promotional art but Wyll and Gale aren’t. It could be that all of the unique starting outfits for various NPCs, including this one, aren’t done yet.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by Maxximenez

Lae’zel, Astarion, and Shadowheart are wearing their unique outfits from the promotional art but Wyll and Gale aren’t. It could be that all of the unique starting outfits for various NPCs, including this one, aren’t done yet.

Looked more like studded leather to me. My money's on bard, though barbarian is a distinct possibility based on her war stories. None of the other classes (that we haven't seen yet) fit at all.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Dinvan
Originally Posted by Telephasic

Under the traditional understanding of D&D alignment, someone who is largely out for themselves is Evil with a capital E, even if they aren't into kicking puppies and children for fun. At best, Karlach may be neutral in alignment similar to Wyll and Gale. Which might be a step up from Lae'zel and Shadowheart, who basically hate every decision I make, but I'd like to have one good-tilting NPC in the party, you know?

I feel you there, seems like every decision I make I see "Shadowheart/Astorian/Lae'zel disapproves".

I get what you mean about Astarion and Lae'zel, but I don't think Shadowheart is that heartless; several parts of the story already suggest there is a softer side to her, even if she is a fanatic.

Here's my two cents (quoted from earlier in the thread) about alignments and classes:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Farishta
I'm guessing Karlach is likely a bard, based on the look of her gear. KInda also fits her snarky mouth. A barbarian is also possible given she is a Zariel Tiefling, but that would be a waste, honestly, since Tieflings are innate casters and barbarians can't cast while raging. A Barbarian is also unlikely to start with a crossbow, but the class kinda fits her dialogue about the war in Avernus.

Just a thought on (implicit) alignments, keeping in mind the current companions are mostly evil/ neutral and coming ones are likely good:
Astarion: Chaotic Evil (Vampires are usually lawful evil, but this fits better on a rogue running away from his master)
Lae'zel: Lawful Evil (as are all Gith)
Shadowheart: Neutral Evil (as is Shar)
Gale: Lawful Neutral (he seems the least evil of all current companions, imo)
Wyll: Chaotic Neutral (he loves kids and has a revenge story; seems like a standard renegade)
Minsc: Chaotic Good (known)
Karlach: Neutral Good (hard to believe, considering she is a tiefling with a snarky mouth, but maybe? Or maybe Chaotic Neutral (most Tieflings are Chaotic)? Note that bards are almost always neutral along at least one dimension)
Helia: True Neutral (for a Shapeshifter Druid) or Chaotic Good (a Selunite lycanthrope; would be an interesting dynamic with Shadowheart) or Chaotic Evil (a Malarite lycanthrope; highly unlikely given she was being bullied by kids)

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Zress
I really hope Karlach is not a companion. I think she has the dialogue I hated the most. And it means we won't have a nice and friendly female companion. Damn... she cursed so much in that dialogue that in the end I just killed her.

....Women don't exist for you. Not even virtual ones. *eye roll*

apprentice
apprentice
Minsc is easy. A Tadpole hurt his memory, so would be easy for him to need to relearn his skills. With Barbarian class coming, he is perfect for it and with Boo being a space hamster the nautloid ship might have some really interesting interactions.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
I do have to say, I wonder what the hell would happen to Minsc's dialogue if I put that circlet that grants 18 intelligence on him.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Sloane Hardtower
Minsc is easy. A Tadpole hurt his memory, so would be easy for him to need to relearn his skills. With Barbarian class coming, he is perfect for it and with Boo being a space hamster the nautloid ship might have some really interesting interactions.

Minsc is still a ranger as of 5th edition. He's in a tie-in D&D comic book and they released a character sheet for him so I imagine his stats will look like that.

Last edited by Maxximenez; 16/10/20 01:52 AM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
I do call BS on the character sheet. They made him too smart. 😂

INT and WIS definitely too high smirk

Last edited by Arideya; 16/10/20 02:12 AM.

"There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed." - Tamoko
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by Sephirajo
I really hope Karlach is not a companion. I think she has the dialogue I hated the most. And it means we won't have a nice and friendly female companion. Damn... she cursed so much in that dialogue that in the end I just killed her.

Not sure why you say that. I just think that specifically in BG3 the female companions are not very appealing personality wise. In the OG games the companions were much more friendly and appealing, even the evil ones. When I encountered Karlach in my playthrough she was dropping f-bombs left and right and it was that dialogue that really broke my immersion. She points her crossbow and bad mouthing four fully armed adventurers, and even after I talked to her and showed interest in her story she kept cursing and acting like an asshat. After a while I just couldn't stand her crappy attitude so I attacked.

I have nothing against woman. Quite the opposite, I would love to see more female companions in the game, and hopefully we will get to see them soon. I just hope that they will be more friendly than the ones we have now. How is it not okay to ask for friendly companions? why should I travel and put my life in the hands of people that resent me and give me snarky comments each time I approach them?

Last edited by Zress; 16/10/20 02:15 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Sephirajo

Not sure why you say that. I just think that specifically in BG3 the female companions are not very appealing personality wise. In the OG games the companions were much more friendly and appealing, even the evil ones. When I encountered Karlach in my playthrough she was dropping f-bombs left and right and it was that dialogue that really broke my immersion. She points her crossbow and bad mouthing four fully armed adventurers, and even after I talked to her and showed interest in her story she kept cursing and acting like an asshat. After a while I just couldn't stand her crappy attitude so I attacked.

I have nothing against woman. Quite the opposite, I would love to see more female companions in the game, and hopefully we will get to see them soon. I just hope that they will be more friendly than the ones we have now. How is it not okay to ask for friendly companions? why should I travel and put my life in the hands of people that resent me and give me snarky comments each time I approach them?

1. You used females.
2. Women don't have to be friendly. I bet you want them to smile more too.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Thread derailment in progress? I hope not

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Hawke
Originally Posted by Spideyknight
According to this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/j91427/somebody_on_rpgcodex_opened_up_the_main_game/ there are a few missing from your findings.

More spoilers:

Daisy, who's Dress is in files, and is the same as the dress you see in the Dream sequences, make of that what you will

Sylvira, who could be: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Sylvira_Savikas

"Unnamed Drow" - Minthara? Seems unlikely.

"Den Leader"

Those might be camp followers but they nothing suggests that they are full companions/origins

Hmm...something tells me we are missing parts of this puzzle. If they were camp followers where is the
skeleton, Volo, and even Halcin?
Maybe Halcin and Volo aren't forever camp followers but I imagine the skeleton is. Plus to the left of the Traveler's Chest is a covered Alcove that would be a perfect spot for a "
Den Leader
."

Last edited by Spideyknight; 16/10/20 02:41 AM.
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by Spideyknight
[quote=Hawke][quote=Spideyknight]According to this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/j91427/somebody_on_rpgcodex_opened_up_the_main_game/ there are a few missing from your findings.

Hmm...something tells me we are missing parts of this puzzle. If they were camp followers where is the
skeleton, Volo, and even Halcin?
Maybe Halcin and Volo aren't forever camp followers but I imagine the skeleton is. Plus to the left of the Traveler's Chest is a covered Alcove that would be a perfect spot for a "
Den Leader
."

Good Points

Last edited by ArmouredHedgehog; 16/10/20 02:56 AM.

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
The issue of "niceness" is separate from alignment. Someone can be a Lawful Evil type and be completely affable...to your face. In contrast, someone can be a genuinely good character and be pretty gruff. Jaheira (though she's technically True Neutral) is a good example.

I'm not sure I agree that the female characters need to be "nice." But Larian seems to have tied niceness to approval, and right now the female companions tend to be pretty cold/mean to you if you go around doing heroic things. This is disappointing, because I feel like as a good character I'm locked out of the female romance options (or even just a close friendship) due to not wanting to be an asshole to everyone.

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard