Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#683157 09/10/20 08:36 AM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I like that there are more hair colors and skin colors and lots of choices in the character creation menu
I like that it's a lovely game
I like being able to help and save folks
I like that there is a speak with animals option
I like turn based combat
I like that many characters can use bows/or have distance attacks.

apprentice
apprentice
I like--no, love the goblin stronghold. It feels like a real tabletop RPG dungeon. Discreet groups of baddies, important NPCs in different areas, no single, linear path to take, tons of ways to approach the whole scenario... it's genuinely great.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I love that there are situations where "Speak with Animals" makes a difference.

For that matter, one time I didn't even realize that's what it was, till we had to revert to a saved game and I hadn't cast it. Way cool.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kavonde
I like--no, love the goblin stronghold. It feels like a real tabletop RPG dungeon. Discreet groups of baddies, important NPCs in different areas, no single, linear path to take, tons of ways to approach the whole scenario... it's genuinely great.

Yep, And the staggering amount of detail on each one of these damn goblin. Hard to not to be impressed by it.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
enthusiast
enthusiast
You didn't like the exploding bottles/barrels/surfaces? The Heresy.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes there is a lot to love, but if we fangirl too hard they might stop working.

Necromancy is just recycling...
stranger
stranger
I like how cinematographic the game feels, particularly the conversations. The plot is great. I also like the combat in general, i.e. the animations, the implementation of rules (even though it could be improved by being more true to 5e), being turn-based, etc. And I love the enemies that you have to face, the hag is particularly amazing. And finally, I really like the freedom of exploration and the design of all areas, especially the Underdark.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Druid_NPC

Where did you get that idea from? Any evidence that being too critical improves the game? Positive feedback is very useful as well. Further, from what I know, rewards are better to improve behavior than punishment.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Originally Posted by JDCrenton

The game's exploding barrels and oil barrels are on point. In fact I think there needs to be oil barrels every 10 feet. Sarcasm for sure. But seriously, they need to develop a way to remove the DOS assets from the game. If people want to play DOS then they can install and play DOS. I'd like to play BG3, not DOS3 smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gabriel AT

Where did you get that idea from? Any evidence that being too critical improves the game? Positive feedback is very useful as well. Further, from what I know, rewards are better to improve behavior than punishment.

Where did I said that we should be too critical? I said being too positive might lead to complacency.

stranger
stranger

Where did I said that we should be too critical? I said being too positive might lead to complacency.

OK then. Where did you get this idea from? :P
This is not true. Usually, positive feedback is a better motivator than just criticize.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Believe it or not I rolled a 1 on my humor check on that one. But still, sugarcoating the problems won't solve them, praising the things they got right won't correct the bugs or decrease the amount of barrels. That's what I mean by being too positive.

T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by LookingforBG

The game's exploding barrels and oil barrels are on point. In fact I think there needs to be oil barrels every 10 feet. Sarcasm for sure. But seriously, they need to develop a way to remove the DOS assets from the game. If people want to play DOS then they can install and play DOS. I'd like to play BG3, not DOS3 smile

I don't know, doing destructive things with stuff the GM described as being in the area is pretty par for the course for most D&D groups I've been part of. I've seen a lot of pushing people into lava, luring people onto bridges, setting fire to forests, and other such manipulations of environment in my time doing D&D.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by Thrythlind

I don't know, doing destructive things with stuff the GM described as being in the area is pretty par for the course for most D&D groups I've been part of. I've seen a lot of pushing people into lava, luring people onto bridges, setting fire to forests, and other such manipulations of environment in my time doing D&D.

But did you set every single forest you came across on fire? Cause at this point I feel like the entire map should have burned down with how many oil/alcohol barrels that I've seen explode

T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by Pupito

But did you set every single forest you came across on fire? Cause at this point I feel like the entire map should have burned down with how many oil/alcohol barrels that I've seen explode

Hardly, there are far more fights without available explosive barrels than there are with them.

stranger
stranger
But still, sugarcoating the problems won't solve them, praising the things they got right won't correct the bugs or decrease the amount of barrels. That's what I mean by being too positive.

I understand just perfectly what you meant. Yet I disagree. That is not how people's behavior works. And praising the good stuff does not interfere with giving feedback about things that you want to change - you can do both! By discouraging positive feedback you sound like you are their boss (if their boss had a slavemaster mentality).

Further, nobody is sugarcoating anything. Praising things that they got right is important too, so they know what they did right and don't change it (or make more of it). By letting them know what they did right you redirect their attention to more pressing issues and they may feel more motivated.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Pupito

I need a feature that allows me to play the whole game with the ground permanently on fire wherever i go.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Kavonde

even better, there is two stories with in. Defend the Grove or Raid the Grove. I hope the rest of the games has multiple factions. Hopefully at least one set per chapter.

enthusiast
enthusiast

We need to do both. Tell them what is loved and suggest what could be improved.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Usually, positive feedback is a better motivator than just criticize.

Well speaking for a lot of default thought in some parts of America, negative feedback is seen as sort of a moral imperative, and positive feedback is restricted.

Personally, I think that shows some cultural/familial problems, potentially creates/nurtures bullying and in some situations does untold damage ... but I come from the perspective of a mental health care provider, so I'm quite biased.

That being said, a few more things that I like about BG3:

-finally figured out that you can throw bottles/carafe's/jugs of water to clear a path through fire/acid/whatever
-I like that killing "the boss" can turn the tide
-I like that the AI does target spellcasters - well I don't enjoy it, necessarily, but I respect the skill of it

Things that I would like to see improved:
-More colors for Teifling horns
-More clothing options, even if it's more different color tones in current armor (lighter/darker leather, a red option for robes and so on).

Link Copied to Clipboard