Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
addict
OP Offline
addict
T
So, flying in this game is probably not going to be a thing. Traditionally flight has not been a thing in D&D games as far back as the Gold Box, but I'd still like to have the flavor of the winged races like the winged tiefling variant, the winged elves, Protector Aasimar, aarakocra, etc. Plus the various classes that get flight as a class feature (draconic sorcerers, for example). In tiefling case, this is an easy case of just allowing them to take wings as an avatar piece in char gen, no stat changes necessary. Same with the winged elves (the name escapes me).

Aarakocra and Protector Aasimar would need some modification to account for the flight abilities, however. Same with Draconic Sorcerer (though if BG3 only goes to 10th, that won't be much of an issue).

This is something for much later. I'm just floating the idea out there, definitely not expecting it here.

Edit: Note that tieflings with feathered wings should be a possibility. Erinyes are a thing.

Last edited by Thrythlind; 15/10/20 10:07 PM.
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
On that note. It would be cool to see Aerie again. Wonder if she will show up at some point?

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I'd pay for Winged Tieflings.

journeyman
journeyman
Apart from a lot more animation work needing to be done its also an issue with regards to bypassing a lot of stuff, likes traps, encounters etc etc. Makes developing content a lot harder I would suspect.

T
addict
OP Offline
addict
T
Originally Posted by Eireson
Apart from a lot more animation work needing to be done its also an issue with regards to bypassing a lot of stuff, likes traps, encounters etc etc. Makes developing content a lot harder I would suspect.

Oh, I don't expect flight to EVER be a thing. The framework of the maps and such just don't fit. Though that said, you still run into the problem of "I can get exactly one character past this obstacle and that's it." And for a game that depends so much on party cohesion that's not too helpful.

Which is why I said that Aarakocra and Protector Aasimar are going to need some minor stat reworks. The animation isn't too big a deal because they've already done it...reference the Cambions in the tutorial.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Want to know what Larian's interpretation of a Winged Race will be?

Load up DoS 2, put a few points into Polymorph, and get a Spread Your Wings skillbook.

Tada, that is what your Winged Race will be in DoS 2. Ignore most surfaces and free long jumps with no fall damage.

I really wish it wasn't that predicable frown

T
addict
OP Offline
addict
T
That's perfectly fine, to be honest.

G
stranger
stranger
G
I agree with the sentiments of allowing us to have a winged version.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Winged tieflings and aarakocra hard to deal with even in P&P. In CRPG it would be outright game broken.

T
addict
OP Offline
addict
T
Originally Posted by Redwyrm
Winged tieflings and aarakocra hard to deal with even in P&P. In CRPG it would be outright game broken.

I think you failed to note where I said I did not expect actual flight to be a thing they get.

Also, it's not that hard in tabletop. You start to see lots of ways to get flight as players hit 5th level and the tools the GM has to deal with flight at that level are the same as the tools they have to deal with flight at any other level: the entirety of the world. It provides another layer of complexity, and it's traditionally been flavor-locked to later because the earliest campaigns wanted magic and such to be narratively more rare than it is in Faerun, closer to historical medieval periods. But it's not particularly hard to deal with.

I had two flyers in my Princes game....I played a flyer in Strahd....we had a couple of flyers in a Pathfinder game....we have several fliers (mostly items, but there was a pixie at one point) in my brother's game...none of them broke the game.

Link Copied to Clipboard