Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
apprentice
apprentice
N
Originally Posted by Mxiio
I can't recall the stat block for the Gnolls but say you were to equip Lazael with the following:
+1 Scale Mail (Found at Tiefling Blacksmith in the Grove)
A Shield
A Helmet (Crit Immune)
Broodmother's Revenge (from Kagha)

Her base AC is 10 + 1 from Dex
Scale Mail +1 would bring her AC to 16
Shield brings it to 18
Then hit her with Shield of Faith from either Shadowheart, Gale (can learn from scroll) or your Player Character, she now has an AC of 20.
Then hit her with Bless (if you didn't use Shadowheart to cast Shield of Faith, or your PC is a cleric too, or if you have a scroll) .
Then hit her with with a Healing Word (if Shadowheart or your Cleric PC has the Hellrider's Gloves) she now has Resistance to Slashing, Piercing and Bludgeoning damage and her weapon is poisoned.
If Lazael is level 4 at this point you may have put 1 in Strenght for 18 and 1 in Dex for 14, putting her total AC to 21.

She can now kill all the Gnolls without any further help needed from the rest of the party and the prerequisites are you only that you have visited the Grove and have spent about 3000g unless you decided to pickpocket the gear.

Alternatively, your PC is a Wood Elf with high Dexterity (any class) wielding a Longbow or Shortbow. You can be level 1 and have 8 in all other stats. No problem.
Press C.
Hold TAB to see enemies vision areas.
Move up to the edge if required, but aim to stay at maximum range for your Longbow.
Press Space to enter Turn Mode.
Shoot somebody.
If you are detected and enter combat, move full movement away from the enemies.
If you are not detected wait for next turn, then shoot somebody again.
If you are detected and enter combat, move full movement away from the enemies...
Guess what, they can never get in range, because your movement is further than theirs.
You win, for free.
Fun fact, if you have Crusher's Ring, you're movement is 13.3m, if you are a Thief you have 2 bonus actions and can dash as a bonus action - you're movement is now 26.6m. If you have the Amulet of Misty Step, you can use your second bonus action to move another 18m in a tight spot instead of hiding.

I do agree with you on this. As I said, the only reason I had trouble the first time in my replay is that I was sloppy, and I was trying a different approach. I usually do something like the longbow approach, using a) chokepoints and b) Gale with Grease to slow the enemies down. Not that I need that, but it makes it easier to pick off your foes.
I don't find combat too difficult, but I do find the punishment for not being in an optimal window too high, especially on normal difficulty. That's why you have higher difficulties.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Originally Posted by Labayu
Originally Posted by Carnage11334
I think the hit chances are fine.
+1

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Mxiio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dth-BWAKJz8

This is how "hard" the game is currently. 2 Minotaurs killed with 1 action.

While this is awesome, it's downright cheese. I can see the first one happening when one knocks the other off, but you little 130 lbs character I can't see them pushing a 600-800 lbs beast off that easy. Very creative though.

S
addict
addict
S
I honestly think that the problem is that it says 'Miss' and not 'dodged' or 'blocked'. missing someone in plate armour with a shield is way more frustrating than knowing that our attack was blocked.

Last edited by Sigi98; 16/10/20 05:46 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Labayu
Originally Posted by Lady Avyna
To me personally, I find it difficult to understand when a bad guy is in front of you and you use your best move and miss let alone a critical miss. To me that's seems crazy, no way should you miss unless the bad guy has some crazy ass armor or is a higher level than you.
If you're talking about realism, this is why:

Yes, that maybe based on realism but what I'm talking about is someone who is new to DnD, it might seem difficult for them.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Isaac Springsong
*snip*

if they were to add difficulty setting like DOS has, it might be better for new players and for those that are having a hard time.

Larian has already stated multiple times that they are using the equivalent of a 'Hard' difficulty for EA to test which content may be easier or harder than intended. Full release will have difficulty settings, though they haven't said what that means (BG style where it changes certain rules, or DoS style).

I didn't see them state that but if the combat is somewhat set on hard difficulty I can understand some enemies being harder to fight. My issue as some others have stated is the chances to miss a hit. For example even using the environment around you, you can still miss. If you have the high ground and use a boulder to hit your enemy, it tells you that you have 88% chance to hit the enemy and when you do, it tell you that you missed. When it's the enemies turn, they knock you down from the high ground and take half the life of everyone. To me it seems the game is giving the bad guys the advantage.

L
L
Yes, that maybe based on realism but what I'm talking about is someone who is new to DnD, it might seem difficult for them.
Ah, yeah I can see how that would be. The forum is acting weird, but what I posted was videos of guys sparring with medieval weapons. Even without the threat of injury, since they aren't real weapons, they're still having trouble connecting, because in addition to armor, shields, and parrying blocking blows, and the opponent dodging, the attacker is trying to land a hit without getting hit themselves. The rules try to simulate this in a simple way. For example, the barbarian class can make a reckless attack which increases their chance to hit, but that gives their enemy advantage on hitting them in the next round.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I didn't see them state that but if the combat is somewhat set on hard difficulty I can understand some enemies being harder to fight. My issue as some others have stated is the chances to miss a hit. For example even using the environment around you, you can still miss. If you have the high ground and use a boulder to hit your enemy, it tells you that you have 88% chance to hit the enemy and when you do, it tell you that you missed. When it's the enemies turn, they knock you down from the high ground and take half the life of everyone. To me it seems the game is giving the bad guys the advantage.

Welcome to the statistics where having 80% chances to hit you still miss and having 20% chances you somehow hit ;P
Percentage only shows what they show - a POSSIBILITY to achieve something. There are always chances to miss and hit in both scenarios as natural 20 and 1 are very important part of the rules. It is annoying thow that even when I got mostly around 50% to 80%-90% chances to hit with my eldritch blast it DID missed very often. Call it unlucky, but it can happen and it is very much frustrating in real life pen and paper games. I've seen it goes both ways: awesome rolls and bad rolls several times in a row and I was avictim of this many, many times.

Thats why those other rules that Larian as a studio "homebrued" for they game work for me. That is pools of elental damage - they hurt enemies just by standing in them and falling dmg + pushing. Och, and thowing stuff is funny too laugh

Protip - when in underdark use those flowers - they ARE usefull ^^

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Asderuki

Welcome to the statistics where having 80% chances to hit you still miss and having 20% chances you somehow hit ;P
Percentage only shows what they show - a POSSIBILITY to achieve something. There are always chances to miss and hit in both scenarios as natural 20 and 1 are very important part of the rules. It is annoying thow that even when I got mostly around 50% to 80%-90% chances to hit with my eldritch blast it DID missed very often. Call it unlucky, but it can happen and it is very much frustrating in real life pen and paper games. I've seen it goes both ways: awesome rolls and bad rolls several times in a row and I was avictim of this many, many times.

Thats why those other rules that Larian as a studio "homebrued" for they game work for me. That is pools of elental damage - they hurt enemies just by standing in them and falling dmg + pushing. Och, and thowing stuff is funny too laugh

Protip - when in underdark use those flowers - they ARE usefull ^^

Got it and thanks for the tip. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard