Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes, I think 1-3 is fine. I'll continue tracking what it takes to get me to 4.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by xMardeRx
Leveling and the encounters we face feel crap. Honestly the under dark is a most dangerous and deadly place in the mortal planes and they send us there as level 3 down. Sry but this is crap. That would be area for level 5-8 at minimum. It cheapens the experience. Beholders and other monoesters that are at home down there feel like cheap knock offs not even worth the fuzz made around them. I think the priority's of encounters and places where chosen poorly.
Not to mention that the "stakes" of our adventure from Tee start are astronomical something you send half gods to deal with.

It feels wrong and bad.

It was intentional, you just didn't bring your wagon filled with throwables to permeate the whole Underdark with fiery layers of dmg that can't be avoided.

old hand
old hand
Leveling and the encounters we face feel crap. Honestly the under dark is a most dangerous and deadly place in the mortal planes and they send us there as level 3 down. Sry but this is crap. That would be area for level 5-8 at minimum. It cheapens the experience. Beholders and other monoesters that are at home down there feel like cheap knock offs not even worth the fuzz made around them. I think the priority's of encounters and places where chosen poorly.
Not to mention that the "stakes" of our adventure from Tee start are astronomical something you send half gods to deal with.

It feels wrong and bad.

I had a pretty easy time with it @@. Not by environment cheesing, either. Play with spells and abilities and magic weapons a bit more, theres some really solid fighting potential your group can have just in a face to face.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Can't get to level 5 fast enough IMO. Caster classes are just boring at low levels. Leveling can slow down after 5th. It doesn't need to be linear.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Rezeki
To me, leveling seemed really fast. Not sure if it's just me or what. But I made a second playthrough of BG3, and I was really surprised at how fast I hit the level cap. I didn't think that it happened MEGA fast my first playthrough, but I did feel like I got to level 3 quite a bit faster than I had expected. In my second playthrough, all I've done is (***SPOILERS***) kill the head druid so the tieflings could take over the grove, ran over to the goblin camp, recruited them, killed all the tieflings, and boom. Level 4. I've hardly done anything in the act yet, but I've already leveled up to the cap. There's still TONS left. When they remove the cap, I feel like by the end of act 1 I'll be level 6 or 7 if they removed the cap. I realize leveling gets a lot slower the higher level you are, but to me, it's kinda fun to be a low level noob. I haven't gone and checked to see if the same amount of experience is required for levels or if the amount of experience is given per goblin or whatever, but dang it really seems like it goes fast. I don't even remember doing anything when I was second level.

Just a thought that maybe they need to pull back the reins on leveling speed. I get that a lot of people don't like being a noob, but to me, it inspires strategy. When you have an impossible fight in DnD, there's always a way to win. The creativity of players always amazes me in tabletop DnD.

If the xp gains and amount of xp required per level is straight out of the DnD rulebook, I guess it's fine. To me it just seems a little fast.

You can't even get to level 5 and yet you complain about leveling pace. I'd say give me lvl 4 right after creating character, so I can explore feats.

It feels wrong and bad.

So Out of the Abyss is wrong, too? Also there is no Beholder in the game, these are Spectators, which you do also face off in early levels in official modules.

M
M
I'm probably in the minority, but I too feel that leveling is too fast, I usually hit level 4 around the Blighted Village. In the full game, I expect I would be level 6 or so after completing the EA areas.
Considering that isn't even the entirety of Chapter 1, reaching the game's level cap would probably happen before Chapter 4.

Last edited by Mxiio; 16/10/20 09:11 AM.
Leveling definitely felt too fast for me, I hit level 3 by the time I got to Nettie in the Druid Grove and I more or less went straight for her, after the ruins and the crash site (where I killed everything that moved naturally)

veteran
veteran
+1. In my first playthrough I took at most one long rest between levels 2 and 3. I felt like I had leveled up just minutes ago and now leveled up again!?!??

The fast time to reach level 2 is fine. But I think they need to increase the time to go from level 2 to 3 by 50% if not more.

veteran
veteran
I did one long rest per level. A level per day seems fast, yes.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Quick to level 3 and then slow from then on seems just fine. Most classes only "come online" at third level. I expect it to slow down from then on out though.

V
stranger
stranger
V
I'm going to reiderate the point that the first few levels are suppposed to go by quickly. It is very boring at level one, some classes don't even get their kits until level 3. When I'm running a game I rarely start my group at level one unless there is some story purpose for it. I however felt the progression was just about perfect, but I also spend a lot of time exploring and talking to people so I spent a lot of time between levels 2-3 (whereas if you went to the temple first you would probably get to 3 faster) It is all about what you choose to do. You could of course ignore all conversations and not explore and level really fast, but I just reached level 4 yesterday and I've spent 30+ hours playing.

Reality is Merely and Illusion, Albeit a very persistant one - Albert Einstein
H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
If we re close to lv 5 at the end of act1 , its means you only have 5 more level till the end of the game. Its going to be very long to get it imo. Long like going from lv 13 druid to lv14 druid in baldurs gate (took half the game to take one level up).

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
V
stranger
stranger
V
I don't think level 10 cap is finalized? I for one would be disappointed with only 10 levels in the whole game... that is not very much progression.

Reality is Merely and Illusion, Albeit a very persistant one - Albert Einstein
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by Victordeus
I don't think level 10 cap is finalized? I for one would be disappointed with only 10 levels in the whole game... that is not very much progression.

It's not. We know for a fact it's not level 10 anymore in fact.
We don't know what the NEW expected cap is supposed to be, on the other hand.
Larian simply said that they turned out to have too much content on their hand to stick to that cap, so the new one could be anything between 11 and 14 for all we know.
Above that sounds a bit unlikely, I would say."Ops, we made six levels worthy of extra content" would be quite the miscalculation.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Hitting level 2 should be within the first 2-4 hours
Level 3 within another 6-8 hours

I’d say finishing up Chapter 1 could put the player closer to level 5 (possibly fringe 6 if you did close go evrything.

Chapter 2 levels 5-10ish
Chapter 3 finishing up the game around 14
Future DLC taking us up to 17
Would be interesting additional DLC taking up to 20 but that makes for playing god-like characters and id imagine terribly difficult for a computer to properly balance and manage.

I’d really love for this engine to be incorporated in official modules as well such as LMoP, etc.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Don't forget that they have to "overdeliver" on XP because diplomatic/stealthy playstyles kill much,much less enemies and therefore get less xp. Killing everything in the first few areas and finishing some easy sidequests puts you at level4 pretty fast in EA atm.
I have no problems with reaching higher levels fast and then having no progression later because I "powergamed" the start of the adventure. I think they have to tune the progression curve to players that won't murder everyone.

veteran
veteran
One possible issue is that the Companions all auto scale on pickup so you get that free XP just for recruiting or delaying recruitment. BG1 and 2 worked the same way, but it definitely gets you to a lvl 4 cap sooner.

And again, with a party of just 4 members its obviously going to scale up much faster to lvl 4. That point should probably have been made in the party size thread too if it hasn't already.

I enjoy the first 3 levels of character progression, but 5e is all like 'here take an adderall, hurry up!' Its cool, I get it. I like new spells and unlocks as much as the rest. But the scale and length of a session in a computer game is a little different than PnP. Sans cutscenes you can get to lvl3 in what feels like 30 minutes of actual play.

I think the level progression here is a little fast for my tastes. It would be nice to see other types of progression substituted for pure XP, since rewards are always at the DMs discretion. Gear/Aesthetics can be equally effective at giving the party a sense of accomplishment. But here everyone starts out looking pretty cool and there aren't a whole lot of money sinks for stuff like darts and arrows, or a new pair of comfortable shoes

Last edited by Black_Elk; 17/10/20 11:34 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Black_Elk
One possible issue is that the Companions all auto scale on pickup so you get that free XP just for recruiting or delaying recruitment. BG1 and 2 worked the same way, but it definitely gets you to a lvl 4 cap sooner.

And again, with a party of just 4 members its obviously going to scale up much faster to lvl 4. That point should probably have been made in the party size thread too if it hasn't already.

I enjoy the first 3 levels of character progression, but 5e is all like 'here take an adderall, hurry up!' Its cool, I get it. I like new spells and unlocks as much as the rest. But the scale and length of a session in a computer game is a little different than PnP. Sans cutscenes you can get to lvl3 in what feels like 30 minutes of actual play.

I think the level progression here is a little fast for my tastes. It would be nice to see other types of progression substituted for pure XP, since rewards are always at the DMs discretion. Gear/Aesthetics can be equally effective at giving the party a sense of accomplishment. But here everyone starts out looking pretty cool and there aren't a whole lot of money sinks for stuff like darts and arrows, or a new pair of comfortable shoes

My FAVORITE feature is that the companions auto-scale and have the same XP no matter what. It eliminates pointless grinding if you want to try out different companions, and it makes it so the team composition can constantly change without any issues. Also it satiates my OCD. I hate having to plan to keep a party's XP as close as possible per character.

It might be the best feature of the entire game.

"Old time love song will die so swiftly.
You never trust me-
For a while it was nice, but it's time to say bye....

I'm cold, you're so cold-
You're so cold, you're so cold-
No-no-no, cold, you're so cold...."
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Larian has already commented on this pre EA. Their itnention was that players would be level 10 by the end of the full game, but after feedback that progression felt too slow (because levelling up is about the most exciting thing that can happen in an RPG) they have latered their plans and now they aim to have the cap around lvl 11-12. ***But this is all subject to change***.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard