Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
stranger
stranger
M
I vastly prefer playing my own character but I might do a run with Wyll and/or Shadowheart cause they'll have a better character arc befitting their class.

veteran
veteran
Probably Gale or Wyll, at first.

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
None of them. I prefer making my own, unless they make one with the same awesomeness as fem shep.

Originally Posted by blindhamster
Originally Posted by Bossk_Hogg
Originally Posted by Abits
Originally Posted by kanisatha
I am also very strongly in the NONE group. Playing a pre-made character, especially in a D&D game, is borderline heresy. Making and playing my own character is a HUGE part of my fun playing a game like this.

same. I do wish they would dump this stupid idea but what can you do.

You don't have to use it, so not sure why it bothers you. I mean, Baldurs Gate 1 only had one character story available - CHARNAME who is the child of Bhaal. This one has 5 + el generico. It seems you can change some of the class/stats of the pre-mades.

that is exactly the issue, you nailed it in your own description "el generico" isn't what anyone wants, they want the story for the main character to be at least on par with the "origin" characters (who are companions if you don't play one of them, allowing you to experience their stories as an outsider anyway).

to be clear, i don't know that people want "the chosen one" but they do want their custom character to have an interesting story based on the choices made during character creation, I think Larian has maybe said that will be the case here (unlike D:OS2 where a custom character is lacking quite badly compared to origin ones).

So the issue is the companions ALSO have the tadpole AND a backstory? Do you just want them to be Blandy McBlanderson, small town fighter who wants to save up to buy a spear to fight large rats?

Also, name a game that has meaningful interesting story choices based on what you did in character creation. In general, its a few dialogue choices here and there, because branching story arcs require an absurd amount of work.

addict
addict
Quite frankly, none of them. I'll create my own character(s), even though I'll miss out on certain parts of the story.

journeyman
journeyman
None. They are not my character. I didn't make them. They role play themselves fine.

N
N
i also will probly not pc an origin character, but i think it would be neat to be able to take some aspects of an origin character to include in our own pc creation without having to play that origin/race/class/stat combo - like have your pc take the vampire spawn features - i dont see that as feasible or happening, but it would be nice to use some of the resources larian devoted to the origin characters for our own pc.

somewhat related, but i also dont think that its a good idea to have players be able to totally adjust the features of an origin character if selected for pc character creation. i wouldnt be opposed to it, and normally i am pro more player choice/agency the better, but it seems to be in contrast of the whole origin character concept if players can just override the base character features how they want, bc at that point are they really even playing the origin character that larian envisioned? (rhetorical - and if not, then what is the point of origin characters being pc options?) i could get behind having some limited, but world consistent changes players could implement for origin characters as pcs - like wyl could be a lvl one ranger, maybe rogue (or other applicable class, but idk how monk would look with wyl for example) and still fit in the 'blade of the frontiers' and the warlock patron would become more a roleplay item than class mechanics at that point? - but that likely would be a large undertaking in development. i also think that as a pc if you pick up an origin character in world at lvl one - from that point on you should be free to level/multi class that origin character as you want, but to totally revamp an origin character during pc character creation to account for a players preferences just sounds like you are not really playing an origin character - you are just making your own pc.

So the issue is the companions ALSO have the tadpole AND a backstory? Do you just want them to be Blandy McBlanderson, small town fighter who wants to save up to buy a spear to fight large rats?

Also, name a game that has meaningful interesting story choices based on what you did in character creation. In general, its a few dialogue choices here and there, because branching story arcs require an absurd amount of work.

I don't even have an issue with the companions and their backstories.
I guess for me the way the story is structured right now makes it feel that the companions overshadow your player character. My personal preference would be if the story circled more around your character, and everyone else is an add-on that completes that story. Granted it doesn't have to be a hero's journey. Not every protagonist needs to be a larger than life Commander Shepard or Revan, they can be an Exile or the Spirit Eater, or even Hawke who is basically a boring human in the wrong place at the wrong time, and fail at every damn thing, but the story would still be and feel theirs.

Both you and companions have tadpoles, all of you have the same powers, all of you are special (which is fine), but the companions are now way more special than the generic PC.

I don't know what's the right way to do it, whether its making them less special or your PC more, or even going in another direction. Heck maybe if they didnt have tadpoles and you did, then it would already be different. I.e. you'd be saddled with something similar to a spirit eater curse.

Or maybe Larian has something else in store for us and we are just complaining for nothing.

Last edited by Arideya; 16/10/20 10:15 PM.

"There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed." - Tamoko
addict
addict

Hmm, that depends on what you consider meaningful, a couple a of changed or added dialogue options is often interesting enough imo. dragon age origins and Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines are two games that comes to mind. Sacred 2 and Dungeon siege 3's classes has different starting area's and different personal goals that coincide with the main story etc. But mostly why I play custom created chars besides min-maxing is because I can make up the story behind that character myself. Sure, the in game narrative might not reflect that story but that doesn't bother me smile

I will likely only ever play my own characters. I have a bit of interest in what Astarion's storyline would be like through his point of view but I have a feeling I'd just have more fun finding out with him as an NPC. That said, I agree that I hope the custom character will get the chance to be as interesting as the origin characters. Larian said they're making that a priority so I'm hoping it comes through.

veteran
veteran
Generally speaking I'm not particularly interested in playing an "origin story".
Which doesn't mean I won't, at some point.
It's just something I don't particularly care about and I didn't perceive as particularly more valuable than experiencing that story having that character as a companion in DOS 2.

Last edited by Tuco; 17/10/20 09:36 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
apprentice
apprentice
not interested in origin characters...will be playing with customer characters

veteran
veteran
I played Astarion's origin for 30 minutes and I already regret it. another case of "Larian's Idea of 'cool game gimmic' undermine its game's story", specifically spoiing the companion. I think the only way origin characters can work is to not to play them in the first playthrough

Last edited by Abits; 17/10/20 11:30 PM.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
W
veteran
veteran
W
I played Astarion's origin for 30 minutes and I already regret it. another case of "Larian's Idea of 'cool game gimmic' undermine its game's story", specifically spoiing the companion. I think the only way origin characters can work is to not to play them in the first playthrough

Can you be more specific? I’m not planning on playing Astarion, but I’m curious nonetheless.

apprentice
apprentice
Of the five, I think Wyll is the most interesting, though the poor guy needs Hexblade warlocks to be added.

But I'm in the "I would roll my eyes a bit if everyone at a table showed up with one of these special snowflake edgelord characters" camp in regards to everyone else.

Last edited by Kavonde; 17/10/20 11:54 PM. Reason: Autocorrect! /shakefist
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Warlocke

Can you be more specific? I’m not planning on playing Astarion, but I’m curious nonetheless.

It is kind of a big spoiler (at least it was for me, maybe it was shown somewhere and I just missed it) so read at your own risk:
when you first go to the camp you get a vision of your master and he recites the rules Astarion has to follow. I don't remember all of them, but the important ones: not to feed on intelligent creatures, not to leave the master, and, that he is the property of the master. after the vision, you can feed on shadowheart but it seems like it always fails for some reason. well we are not supposed to have access to it yet so I can't complain about that.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
old hand
old hand
I'll be playing all of them smile

X
stranger
stranger
X
Astarion. Normally I would prefer to play a custom character, but he is very close to what my ideal BG3 protagonist would be if I could personally request one.

Originally Posted by Warlocke

It is kind of a big spoiler (at least it was for me, maybe it was shown somewhere and I just missed it) so read at your own risk:
when you first go to the camp you get a vision of your master and he recites the rules Astarion has to follow. I don't remember all of them, but the important ones: not to feed on intelligent creatures, not to leave the master, and, that he is the property of the master. after the vision, you can feed on shadowheart but it seems like it always fails for some reason. well we are not supposed to have access to it yet so I can't complain about that.

How were you able to play a bit as him? I thought the origin characters weren't available yet for EA?

addict
addict
Maaaybe Shadowheart... or one of the future companions. Eventually. Maybe none. I don't hate the idea of origin characters, but I prefer customs and have a long list of planned characters. Another issue is that I'm very, very (nit)picky and a small thing can make me dislike a character/be a dealbreaker for playing as it.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard