Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Alix Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I like the graphics a lot, although for me graphics are not the most important criteria in a game.

The inventory management with D: OS2 is much better, don't know why it was removed. What I also haven't understood yet, how you can combine things in the inventory, e.g. brew potions or create scrolls.
But maybe not every class / race can do that ... The Baldurs gate class / race system has always been very opaque to me. Divinity is more beautiful. You can develop the character with more freedom and reorganice it later if you see it was a bad choice.
Even the first few hours have shown, that the game, similar to D:OS2, has a high replay factor because you simply want to test out different options.

The only think I dont like is the "dice game" I hate it, when a child dies just because I'm unlucky when throwing the dice.
I hate this Option in D:OS1 too and was glad that it was removed in D:OS2 (The best game I ever played!)
And I hate it when my fellow combatants argue! This are the rules in Baldurs gate, I know, but I don't like it.

Hope the possibility to save during dialogs, will defuse the situation sometimes.

I've played for about 20 hours now and can't get any further. The fights are too hard. In every direction there are enemies that I can't get past.
Maybe I don't have the right party and I haven't really understood the magic system yet, but I hope there will be a story mode again, like with D:OS2 or at least an easy mode.

It seems to play early access was not the best idea for me. But I like the Larian games (They are better than Ultima 7 and Ultima Underworld, my favorites until I played DivineDivinity) I play all of them a many times and so I know I can play this one too sometimes, maybe not in early access.

Alixdragon -==(UDIC)==-
Der einzige Mensch, der Dir im Weg steht, bist Du.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Ironically, this is a great piece of evidence for how much this game is really just DoS 3 set in Faerun and not a D&D 5e game.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Isaac Springsong
Ironically, this is a great piece of evidence for how much this game is really just DoS 3 set in Faerun and not a D&D 5e game.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

C
C
Originally Posted by Isaac Springsong

God if this is not the truth . . .

L
stranger
stranger
L
I'm really hopeful they can find a better (closer to 5e) balance for the game It's early days still so a lot can change.

stranger
stranger
"And I hate it when my fellow combatants argue!" Why?! It is very entertaining.
"In every direction there are enemies that I can't get past" Yeah, I couldn't beat those Githyankis.

Last edited by Zarangek; 16/10/20 07:58 AM.
old hand
old hand
The Tips & Tricks forum is a great place to post "Help with goblin fight". You can do it here too, obviously, but thats a good resource forum for questions. All I can really say for combat - keep at it. Im like 140 hours in or something and you just get better. 20 hours, especially with reloading times, doesn't get you much actual play time. Your total time in fights is probably relatively low.

The pop-up does say theyre working on the functionality to save during conversation, so its most likely on the way. I hope it comes coupled with a massive performance increase regarding loading.

The point on replayability regarding decisions - I agree, I think it is just hard to see past the fog of war right now. The number of people who say "see you at Baldur's Gate!" and pretty much all of them saying theyre going to give you alcohol poisoning from the en masse purchasing of a beer for you at the Elfsong means theres going to be something. Hopefully more than just a "Hey thanks again!" dialog when you talk to them. Right now it feels like you pick one, see what it does, you dont want it, pick the one you want, and then you would never replay and choose something else because you know it terminates branch or fizzles off into something stupid. If the plot choices were arms right now [Linked Image]

Crafting is currently disabled to my knowledge so I think youre safe on not missing anything yet smile

Inventory sucks. DOS2 had a solid one, maybe they did basic so people could suggest D&D themed inventory instead of "give us DOS2".

Dice rolling for dead kids. this made me think about what big decisions really are in D&D. When I am DMing and have a scenario it is a layered series of checks. Perception check to see if people are watching, insight check on the speaker, nature check on the snake. That situation could have been someone sleight of handing her anti-toxin and you doing a performance check as you carried her body out crying. You could have had nodded at the girl and someone accidentally drop a torch near the snake and she bolts while it sits there. Drop rotten eggs so the snake starts snake barfing (id laugh so hard) and shes out. If youre a dwarf, have the option to step in front of the girl and use your ability to resist poison. Snake charming checks with song or music. there are endless. But its not just a "Heyyyy comeeeeonnnnnnn duuuuuuuuddeee. Please dont? I mean...just commeeee onnnnn!" *dead*.

a lot of clever options get precluded by the instant KOS. Not that the snake was something you could target iirc.

If there was 1 thing that summed up D&D. Its players making horrible decisions and then trying to get out of them. That is the bulk of the activity. It rarely comes down to one roll, and Id say the average number of critical path rolls to get out of any given clusterF is 5. They do multiple rolls sometimes, but its A-B-C-D-E-F or X and any failure is a hard failure to X. It doesnt handle gradient results very well and some of the best moments in D&D are when you fail something you wanted to pass and because the DM knows something you dont, that failure was actually a really good way to have failed and heres the new situation.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
Alix Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Thanks for the hints. Yes of course I need to start over and take a look at the hints here. (Thanks for the ideas to save the child!)

And: I haven't regretted buying the game. I know: At some point there will be an easy mode or a mod or a cheat, I'm sure of that! Then I can manage the fights and can research the game-story.

I think Larian will get criticism from all sides! For Divinity fans "it is too little Divinity-like!" and from the BG-Fans its not the true D&D Rule!

I miss from Divinity:
- Mana potions! I hate the need to sleep every time just because I want to do magic again!
- Pizza! There is so much fun combining objects, I hoped to found a way to brew potions!, although there are herbs and bottles but if not, ok!
- The D: OS2 inventory system. The existing just sucks ....
- The possibility of saving in the dialog, especially by throwing the dice, is very relevant. But this will come seams.
- The dialogue system ... is nice to see the characters so well animated, but the dialogs take a lot longer and at some point the rolling eyes of my heroes get boring
- The possibility of hitting with the bow from short distances. (I know this is not D&D but more practical!)
- Healing spells for all party members or at least more and better potions.
(And maybe sometime a way of autobattle!)

But I play all Larian games, and I'll play this one too! Sometimes!

Maybe I'm getting old! To slow in understand the fighting system! I'm a veteran (or was the name "old hag?") And I'm on the road with glasses and use a Cane for fighting, but I am on my way.

I'm curious to read the reactions of the Baldurs Gate Fan here! It is definitely too much Divinity for them. :))

A little realism is nice, but I don't need too much of it! It's a fantasy saga! Why does I need darkness and rain there? (Why can only one party member cast rain and why she has to sleep after that? How should I clear the way from the fire? I miss the tornado from Divinity!

Alixdragon -==(UDIC)==-
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Alix
I miss from Divinity:
- Pizza! There is so much fun combining objects, I hoped to found a way to brew potions!, although there are herbs and bottles but if not, ok!

Hardly anything shows up in ingredients: just the sussur(? or however it's spelt) bark and flowers. I think this is a "not really even started yet" thing that will be expanded on significantly. Hopefully more so than in DOS2 where it felt like it was started and abandoned. Er, not that I know anything about that sort of thing! *looks guiltily at my feedback compendium*

- The D: OS2 inventory system. The existing just sucks ....

It does at least retain the bugs! But yeah, it needs some QoL improvements.

- The possibility of saving in the dialog, especially by throwing the dice, is very relevant. But this will come seams.
- The dialogue system ... is nice to see the characters so well animated, but the dialogs take a lot longer and at some point the rolling eyes of my heroes get boring

The dice-rolls are certainly their own thing. As a non D&Der I am wondering if they really belong in dialogue at all, but especially with the oft-complained-about low scoring tendency. As with other games, I'm trying to remember to F5 before engaging anyone in discussion. Which may sound like cheating, but some of us are naturally unlucky and "but that seemed like a good idea at the time".

- The possibility of hitting with the bow from short distances. (I know this is not D&D but more practical!)

Oh, I wondered why that was a thing. So that's why moving closer didn't help. Interesting to watch a video some guy did demonstrating "everything you know about bows is wrong", including close combat.

Maybe I'm getting old! To slow in understand the fighting system! I'm a veteran (or was the name "old hag?") And I'm on the road with glasses and use a Cane for fighting, but I am on my way.

Oh shush. You're about the same age as me IIRC, and however old I am I will always be an irresponsible teenager. Hmm, I'm not sure I'm really making the best argument here so I shall shut up.

J'aime le fromage.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by vometia

Oh, I wondered why that was a thing. So that's why moving closer didn't help. Interesting to watch a video some guy did demonstrating "everything you know about bows is wrong", including close combat.

Yeah, its a nasty one because if you are using are threatened using *any* ranged attack is disadvantage. So if you aim at someone 50 feet away, someone is threatening you from 5 feet away and your sling, bow, spell, you name it is trashed. Gotta disengage to fully out of threat before making ranged attacks or its basically wasting your turn. Prone enemies are also targets that make you disadvantage against them with range so knocking them down with the ice spell for an "easier" target makes them harder. The threat range v "in melee" that D&D uses makes it really challenging.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
Alix Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Since my visit and my failure at the goblin camp, I've found fights just frustrating.
The reaction of the opponents is so slow! I hope the AI will be accelerated. I would prefer an "autobattle" feature. The AI will fight for my party right away and as quickly as possible!
This has already happened in some D&D game, I forgot which one.
You only have one attack per alive Partymember and the chance of on average 50% to reduce the opponent's (15-50) life points by 3-6 and that with around 15 opponents!
So I need about 3-6 rounds to take out one! opponent! And the AI has to calculate approx. 15 opponent moves in each round ... 15 opponents * 6 rounds are 60 rounds for a fight and the round takes about 5-10 minutes.
In the meantime I forget why I actually fight!! 50% of the game is only calculate how to fight???? Normaly Larian games have about 5% Fight-time and 95% Story to read.
Please create "autobattle" and fight ro win/loose in one minute! If I dont win, ok I have to reload.
And an easy mode, or an mode without too much D&D Rules.

Alixdragon -==(UDIC)==-
veteran
veteran
It looks like if the game was a little bit more accurate to D&D, especially about creatures ability, combats should be faster... Especially if Larian keep his own touch to increase %hit (backstab, advantage if you're higher, ...) or if they find new way to increase our tactical options and our %hit chance (i.e better implementation of surfaces)

Last edited by Maximuuus; 04/11/20 03:16 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by vometia
As a non D&Der I am wondering if they really belong in dialogue at all

They do but in the case of D&D they exist for a specific purpose.

As in if you fail a dialogue roll (which you do once. Not many times for the same thing) you in essence unlock a new "path" in the story. Because in a tabletop game the outcome is rather flexible. The DM can have a set story in mind, or be more freeform with a general idea of where things should go but letting the players decide how they get there. Helping and setting things up for them along the way.

So a failed roll can lead to an entirely different story path than the one that comes with a success.

The issue here is this is a video game, and in a video game all paths are set in stone. We know what the outcomes are and failing a roll doesn't lead to new path entirely (that'd be too much work) or gains any benefits that you'd usually see in a typical game of D&D. As there the DM will try to make things interesting, some DMs will even just go "Well they are off the success roll by 1... I'll say they succeeded because that makes things more interesting" without the players knowledge. Since the focus is player enjoyment and a good flow to things rather than frustration.

As far as I'm aware there are no failed rolls that lead to a path of their own, once again for good reason since that's insanely costly to build around. And in many cases just feel like failures instead of new opportunities. The failures in dialogue rolls aren't fun because they are failures or of the difficulty but because of the story they build and the new forks they make in the path of the story.

A video game will naturally lack this. And so does BG3. So yeah rolling for dialogue has a place in D&D but not in a video game adaptation of it.

I think it's really cute how the OP point out some of the defects BG3 have (long fights, roll-dice, etc).

I support you OP, you can do it !
And I agree with you blazerules, roll-dice in dialogues didn't work (at least as it is for now).

addict
addict
Disagree - dice rolling is great - you cannot get anymore D&D than dice rolling & that cannot be argued.
Although I know some will try ....

I really enjoy the whole mechanic the tension & the disappointment of failure - I’d like to save the tie fling child just once .... but there you have it the fate of the roll ..I can’t believe any D&D fans don’t like the dice rolls ...

Last edited by Tarorn; 06/11/20 07:07 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tarorn
Disagree - dice rolling is great - you cannot get anymore D&D than dice rolling & that cannot be argued.
Although I know some will try ....

I really enjoy the whole mechanic the tension & the disappointment of failure - I’d like to save the tie fling child just once .... but there you have it the fate of the roll ..I can’t believe any D&D fans don’t like the dice rolls ...

We're in a video game, a few things need adjustement ^^

I don't like the dice rolls, I think an option to disable it should be implemented (just a line in the log). It's really immersion breaking, very intrusive and unnecessary slow according to me.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 06/11/20 07:10 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
S
addict
addict
S

The only think I dont like is the "dice game" I hate it, when a child dies just because I'm unlucky when throwing the dice.
I hate this Option in D:OS1 too and was glad that it was removed in D:OS2 (The best game I ever played!)
And I hate it when my fellow combatants argue! This are the rules in Baldurs gate, I know, but I don't like it.

It wouldn't be D&D without it. I feel though many critics are compulsive perfectionists/control freaks who blind themselves to the real issue and focus the criticisms on the physical act of rolling dice. Curse the binary consequences of RNG, rather than to interpret it as the abstraction it is: The druid was too set in her ways, too blinded by fear and anger for your words to reach her in a compelling enough manner. Accidents happen, the world is far from perfect - in fact, utopian ideology/thought has historically been the cause of many of humanity's greatest evils. You are given a chance to heavily influence important events, but you are not divinity. I suggest you try to let go of the idea of perfection and revel in how the story is spun.

Hope the possibility to save during dialogs, will defuse the situation sometimes.

Larian has made BG3 into a very deep game and you rob yourself of a narrative experience that likely will be more compelling than compulsive perfection. I hope Larian disincentivize save scumming even further by removing saving in combat (and not allowing it in dialogue). Nothing should stop you from reloading before starting the conversation if you can't let go of the "mental pacifier". But it shouldn't be made so easy avoiding that temptation becomes hard.

I've played for about 20 hours now and can't get any further. The fights are too hard. In every direction there are enemies that I can't get past.
Maybe I don't have the right party and I haven't really understood the magic system yet, but I hope there will be a story mode again, like with D:OS2 or at least an easy mode.

It seems to play early access was not the best idea for me. But I like the Larian games (They are better than Ultima 7 and Ultima Underworld, my favorites until I played DivineDivinity) I play all of them a many times and so I know I can play this one too sometimes, maybe not in early access.

There will be difficulty settings implemented. I would suggest you rather than play the game and be too frustrated, check out some of the playthroughs on YouTube. ChristopherOdd and ESO are two of my favorites, but there are many others.

veteran
veteran

Companions in BG 1&2 also compliment each other when you have a group that gets along. And flirt and other banter. It's definitely not only insults.

That's a problem in modern games, really. Every companion gets so much dialogue and voice acting that you end up with a very limited selection. And now in BG3 we are stuck with mostly evil companions who also tend to be very special - alien, vampire, dark secretive priestess, exploding wizard...

For now I would just like to have an ordinary down to earth good/neutral aligned adventurer or two as companions. Not everyone has to be extra special from the start. Things can happen in the game too and people can change. But from what I hear we are going to get more extra special people. :-/ Give us a Coran or Eder type light hearted adventurer type to balance out all the brooding from Lae'zel, Shadowheart and Astarion. Gale is trying but he's a small minority and I like to play Wizard myself.

I would prefer more companions at the cost of having less storyline and voice lines for them. Focus on the master quest and let us build a party of personalities and classes we actually like.

Last edited by 1varangian; 06/11/20 01:51 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by 1varangian

I would prefer more companions at the cost of having less storyline and voice lines for them.

I am very much the opposite of this. I would rather have 3 companions in the game, with tons of development, dialogue lines, and questlines each, than 12 companions with very little depth.

addict
addict
Thank you for your feedback. Many of your concerns are the DnD 5e system. However, I am hopeful for some quality of life improvements. For example, while I would never use it, I would still like to see a setting that allows you to auto succeed in dialog dice rolls. This would be a huge improvement for those who will just reload until they get the right roll. There are several more of your concerns that could be addressed similarly. I.E. there is no reason the AI couldn't control your party if you wanted it to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard