Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Eddiar Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
In the first few hours of my playthrough I felt stressed when I pressed the "end day" function.

Because I assumed I only got two or three before I died to the tadpole. So the game felt like it had tension.

But that's quickly dispelled by some unknown factor that assures us that everything is fine but you need to take care of it eventually. Teehee.

I don't know what Larian can do but they need to do something that stresses how dire the situation is.
Because so far this tadpole seems like a bonus rather than a curse.
And it seems I have all the time in the world to deal with it.

S
addict
addict
S
I obviously don't know what the story is gonna look like at full release, and therefore I don't know if this would work, but I like the following idea: What if you don't die from the tadpole when you rest too much, but it does change you a little bit every time you rest (toward 'evil', whatever that could mean in the context). so if you wanted to keep your sanity, resting as little as possible would be a goal for you.

old hand
old hand

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Hm actually I do not agree.
Like. Yeah I learned I don't have to get rid of it within a week. But it's just so interesting to decide whether it's worth using the powers you get - or not. In the beginning, it seems obvious to avoid the powers, because you may be afraid it quickens the transformation into a mindflayer. But then you learn "hey, I'm kinda safe as long as I do nothing", and at the same time, things pile up that may rise my interest in taking advantage of the infestation.
I don't think there is a need for urgency since they give so many hints on why it might be worth using the tadpole. And maybe, at some point during the game, you won't be able to evade using it like you do in act 1, so the stress of choosing between pest and cholera comes up.
For example, in my first playthrough, I never used the tadpole, but you learn this is just part of something bigger (a whole worship scene going one.. a cambion offering a deal... may have missed other points), so my interest has shifted to "wow what is this all about?" and rather than thinking "oh god need to cleanse myself - right now", I really want to see where this goes and how much I will be tempted to give in to the tadpole, the cult or Raphael.

I think players asking for urgency comes from the reveal (when thy showed the first cutscene and showed some gamplay) suggesting this game will be time sensitive. If you try to look at the game without expectations: Would you still ask for urgency? The decision making is the strong point of the game for me and I wouldn't want this forced out to create urgency.

P
Pah Offline
stranger
stranger
P
Yes, I call it the Oblivion syndrome :
- Hurry! the world is invaded by demons, this is the end unless you go give this to the Lord as fast as you can! ...
-Then you begin your journey exploring the world...
It's good to have a good motive to begin the adventure, but it should be related in some way to the exploration part of the game too.

old hand
old hand
I linked to this exact thread guys, we dont need another.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
Eddiar Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Honestly perhaps if the illithid powers and your own was a constant battle of staving off a corruption would have been interesting.

Some sort of " dont use it too much" and symptoms that a can be seen getting worse... just throwing around ideas.

Just something that keeps me on my toes is what I need.

Link Copied to Clipboard