Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
At the moment we can see enemies and the structure of the place (buildings, dungeons, caverns...) behind walls and doors. This breaks the need to use strategy to deal with the unknown. I think a fog of war in those places would be an excellent way to raise the stakes.

S
addict
addict
S
+1

K
stranger
stranger
K
Would be pretty cool.
If not blacking things out, just making the models invisible if no party members have vision there.
Would make Rogues/sneaking a bit more useful.

journeyman
journeyman
Agreed, right now some fights become super easy to cheese once you know the enemy layout. Fog of war would improve upon a lot of scenarios.
Alternatively, only make enemies/NPCs "visible" if a character has very high perception. Like a highly perceptive character could probably hear footsteps or conversation in another room, but a unperceptive character would have no idea. Maybe that's a bit tricky to implement tho.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by zeel
Agreed, right now some fights become super easy to cheese once you know the enemy layout. Fog of war would improve upon a lot of scenarios.
Alternatively, only make enemies/NPCs "visible" if a character has very high perception. Like a highly perceptive character could probably hear footsteps or conversation in another room, but a unperceptive character would have no idea. Maybe that's a bit tricky to implement tho.

Exactly

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
I consider the minimap to be so bad and blurry that it doesn't really help... particularly in areas with a lot of verticality and multiple floors.

C
stranger
stranger
C
+1. Pathfinder kingmaker did this excellently and made exploring rooms much more interesting

addict
addict
I agree. Adds a lot to the thrill of interior exploration and the use of scouting tactics (e.g stealth and divination spells).

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Seems a reasonable thing to do.

L
L
+1

journeyman
journeyman
+1 agreed

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I am happy to see that for now everyone agrees with me. Thank you
folks. I hope Larian will try to implement this, as it will add a new element for exploration and combat, as we will have to use scouting tactics and even espionage if we want to take advantage of our enemies.

This looks like a lot of fun to me.

Last edited by Anung un Rama; 16/10/20 08:03 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Being able to "walk" right through doors, even into secret areas, with the camera is extremely broken, I agree.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I would call it OP rather than broken.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
+1

veteran
veteran
Yeah totally! +1

The first time I realized I could WASD the cam and explore everything that way it really took me out of it.

I think the game should have multiple difficulty settings and fog of war for anything outside the line of sight should be standard for whatever setting corresponds to "Core Rules" or advanced difficulty setting.

It would actually be ideal to have at least 4 difficulty settings, maybe more but 4 is a good start.

1. Story Time (easiest setting)
2. Normal (default setting)
3. Core Rules ( advanced setting, by the book 5e D&D)
4. Hard (same as the above but with buffs to the encounters, less loot, more prohibitive resting or whatever for Ironman death wishers)

This would give them some room to play a little loose with some things in the storytime or normal homebrew difficulty setting, make it easier or more enjoyable for casual players. While giving players who want it more by the book to have something with fewer surfaces fog of war etc.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 18/10/20 08:40 AM.
addict
addict
+1 for fog of war

L
addict
addict
L
Part of the fun of playing tabletop with a VTT like Fantasy Grounds is having the DM keep secrets and only reveal part of the map at a time. Being able to scroll around and see all the layout really ruins the exploration element

journeyman
journeyman
We need the fog of war, everywhere

stranger
stranger
If there is going to be a fog of war, I would personally prefer to be an optional toggle. Nothing would be more unimmersive than seeing a black sky or black patches in the background when zoomed in or during third person cutscenes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard