Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
F
Originally Posted by TheBackwardsLegs
I feel like the amount of control you have over other people's tadpoles, along with several story beats, make it pretty clear the player character and party's tadpoles are not normal. It's also clear that these things aren't operation on auto pilot, someone is pulling the strings. I can totally see this person/deity/whatever just leaving the tadpole in your party because they know you're probably going to revive them at some point. You can't cast revivify on anyone other than party members anyway, so if we're conflating gameplay and story elements, that alone shows there is something special about them.

Not being able to cast Revivify on non-party members is far more of just a gameplay thing, in my mind, since it also extends to companions that die before you recruit them, ie Wyll.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Has anyone tried what happens when gale is killed on first sight?

There should be something like a nuclear explosion after a while

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
F
apprentice
apprentice
F
It almost seem like half the people you meet have the worm... feels a bit odd, that it so common.

Originally Posted by ArmouredHedgehog
Has anyone tried what happens when gale is killed on first sight?

There should be something like a nuclear explosion after a while

I killed him on the spot and later, his corpse was gone.
No evidence of any nuclear explosions

Last edited by Khorvale; 16/10/20 09:15 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by fishworshipper
Your character, and your entire party, can be cured of their tadpoles twenty minutes into the game (not counting the speed runners, there). How?

Tadpoles are shown to consistently, willingly, and quickly exit corpses. You start with scrolls of Revivify, and later can free a necromancer, allowing a short- and long- term availability for resurrection. You could just die, wait for the tadpole to leave, and be revived, which is a much safer plan than working with a Devil or letting a hag rip out your eye.

EDIT: Of course, this doesn’t work quite as well for Gale, but five out of six isn’t bad.

I think you mix game mechanic with RP. Need to be careful with that one matey, may cause hallucinations and delusions of grandeur.

We're given a way to raise our dead party members as a courtesy - a game mechanic, so the game will be playable and you won't run out of companions in 5 hours or just flat out be dead yourself. Thus the Scrolls of Revivify and the Skellie bro.

Resurrections are not some common thing, as you may know. The big plan of "lulz let's just die and get rezzed" is not feasible in RP sense, you don't really have scrolls that raise dead to perfect life out the wazoo and you don't have high level clerics just skulking around in wilderness either. Gale makes that point sufficiently clear.

Might as well talk about how savescumming is a plot hole - wtf I can turn back time at will.

Last edited by Gaidax; 16/10/20 09:49 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Fungo
It almost seem like half the people you meet have the worm... feels a bit odd, that it so common.

Only people who were on the ship and leaders of the Cult of the Absolute have them.

The real question you should be asking yourself is if you got a tadpole to get instantly turned into a mindflayer like the lady in the ship if you push the button or if you were meant to become another puppet leader for the Absolute.

F
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
F
Originally Posted by Gaidax
Your character, and your entire party, can be cured of their tadpoles twenty minutes into the game (not counting the speed runners, there). How?

Tadpoles are shown to consistently, willingly, and quickly exit corpses. You start with scrolls of Revivify, and later can free a necromancer, allowing a short- and long- term availability for resurrection. You could just die, wait for the tadpole to leave, and be revived, which is a much safer plan than working with a Devil or letting a hag rip out your eye.

EDIT: Of course, this doesn’t work quite as well for Gale, but five out of six isn’t bad.

I think you mix game mechanic with RP. Need to be careful with that one matey, may cause hallucinations and delusions of grandeur.

We're given a way to raise our dead party members as a courtesy - a game mechanic, so the game will be playable and you won't run out of companions in 5 hours or just flat out be dead yourself. Thus the Scrolls of Revivify and the Skellie bro.

Resurrections are not some common thing, as you may know. The big plan of "lulz let's just die and get rezzed" is not feasible in RP sense, you don't really have scrolls that raise dead to perfect life out the wazoo and you don't have high level clerics just skulking around in wilderness either. Gale makes that point sufficiently clear.

Might as well talk about how savescumming is a plot hole - wtf I can turn back time at will.

The scrolls of Revivify, sure, I'll buy are just a player convenience. The skellie bro, no. An entire character, with fully animated cutscenes, is not just a gameplay convenience. He, and by extension his services, exist.

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H

Wow. I didn't think about this. This thread is underrated. Bump.

Last edited by Hachina; 16/10/20 08:36 PM.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted by Warlocke
This could be a bit of a stretch, but if a character planned on dying and being brought back, or just happened to die but there were allies nearby who both intended to and had the means to bring them back, then this is information that would be available to the tadpole. Thus, it would choose to sit tight.

Resurrection in the FR setting is a difficult contrivance to build a narrative around, though.

Can't you just open the skull of the dead, remove the tadpole and heal him / ressurect him after? I Mean, he is dead, so you can just open up his body now.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Hachina
This could be a bit of a stretch, but if a character planned on dying and being brought back, or just happened to die but there were allies nearby who both intended to and had the means to bring them back, then this is information that would be available to the tadpole. Thus, it would choose to sit tight.

Resurrection in the FR setting is a difficult contrivance to build a narrative around, though.

Can't you just open the skull of the dead, remove the tadpole and heal him / ressurect him after? I Mean, he is dead, so you can just open up his body now.

You can’t heal a dead body.
If I recall correctly, mangling a corpse that badly would prevent Revivification. At that point you would need True Resurrection.

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H

If I recall correctly, mangling a corpse that badly would prevent Revivification. At that point you would need True Resurrection.

Okay, That a good point. But i'm not so sure about the mangling corpse thing, I mean, its just a bit of surgery. Surgery existed even in medieval time, and trepanning is a very old technique in human history. I doubt removing a part of the skull and sewing it back would make a corpse ''too mutilated for reviving''. After all, human can survive with an open skull.

Last edited by Hachina; 16/10/20 09:12 PM.

W
veteran
veteran
W

Okay, That a good point. But i'm not so sure about the mangling corpse thing, I mean, its just a bit of surgery. Surgery existed even in medieval time, and trepanning is a very old technique in human history. I doubt removing a part of the skull and sewing it back would make a corpse ''too mutilated for reviving''. After all, human can survive with an open skull.

If the tadpole is attached at the underside of the brain, which it likely would be given its ocular entry, you would need to fully remove the top of the skull and the brain to get the tadpole. At this point the corpse is thoroughly mangled.

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Can't you just cut under the jaw or in the neck then, and just sew back the artery and/or skin together? Shouldn't be that hard in a world with magic. I'm not a surgeon but doesn't seem impossible to me.

Last edited by Hachina; 16/10/20 09:43 PM.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Can't you just cut under the jaw or in the neck then, and just sew back the artery and/or skin together? Shouldn't be that hard in a world with magic. I'm not a surgeon but doesn't seem impossible to me.

Yeah, maybe if you completely disarticulate the mandible from the skull. 😂
How would you know where to perforate the skull? You would need to go exploring for the tadpole, which conceivable could move around the brain cavity to escape your attempts to extract it.

Skill mangling the corpse past the corpse well past revivification.

I don’t think this is really worth putting too much thought into, though. Again, resurrection is a gameplay feature of forgotten realms which rarely makes a lot of sense in terms of diminishing stakes.

P
P
I think it kinda would make more narrative sense to require the revivify spell to be cast within a minute. FIxes the "loophole" well enough for me. The game could stay in turn-based mode and give you ten rounds after combat ends if a party member is down.

Personally, I'd give you an item rather than having all of these scrolls everywhere. Maybe something from the mindflayer ship and have it linked to the tadpoles, even -- although I have no idea if that makes sense with whereever the plot is going to go.

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H

Yeah, maybe if you completely disarticulate the mandible from the skull. 😂
How would you know where to perforate the skull? You would need to go exploring for the tadpole, which conceivable could move around the brain cavity to escape your attempts to extract it.

Skill mangling the corpse past the corpse well past revivification.

I don’t think this is really worth putting too much thought into, though. Again, resurrection is a gameplay feature of forgotten realms which rarely makes a lot of sense in terms of diminishing stakes.

Alright. thats a fair point.

For the sake of discussing, I'll just add another situation. Lets say your character dies by accident (Gayle, for instance. he even has a dialogue option when he tells you how to find a super ressurection scroll. But any of the character would do ). Why doesn't the tadpole goes out ?

Last edited by Hachina; 16/10/20 10:42 PM.

enthusiast
enthusiast

The scrolls of Revivify, sure, I'll buy are just a player convenience. The skellie bro, no. An entire character, with fully animated cutscenes, is not just a gameplay convenience. He, and by extension his services, exist.

It is also a part of convenience there, just gotta live with that.

Don't mix gameplay mechanics with RP.

/shrug

/shrug

Don't mix bad logic and writing with mechanics and RP.

F
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
F

/shrug

No, it isn't. Entire, interactable characters, with goals, ideals, and questions, are not non-canonical plot-conveniences. I cannot (reasonably) open a Harry Potter book and just say "Dumbledore didn't exist, anything involving him didn't happen, he's just a plot convenience". That's not how that works.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard