Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Icelyn Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Halsin is a great character. Please make him a companion!

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Icelyn
Halsin is a great character. Please make him a companion!

I agree, plus I love Druids!

"Old time love song will die so swiftly.
You never trust me-
For a while it was nice, but it's time to say bye....

I'm cold, you're so cold-
You're so cold, you're so cold-
No-no-no, cold, you're so cold...."
enthusiast
enthusiast
I thought he was going to be the potential Druid Companion the moment i saw him.

I second that!

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Pretty sure someone found files for Halsin and a couple others as companion, so they probably will be added as companions at some point. Though even without the file leaks, everything about Halsin just screams druid companion lol

Icelyn Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Pupito
Pretty sure someone found files for Halsin and a couple others as companion, so they probably will be added as companions at some point. Though even without the file leaks, everything about Halsin just screams druid companion lol

Glad to hear he is in the files as a companion! smile

Last edited by Icelyn; 17/10/20 04:18 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Daddy Druid

T
addict
addict
T
I kind of want that tiefling performer from the camp to be your bard companion. I DON'T want Volo as my bard companion. Please no. Just no. I know he'll do something to get me killed. Every time that character shows up it means trouble.

addict
addict
I like the idea. What would set him apart from all the companions so far is how we find him. So much more interesting than just running into someone on the road and teaming up.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Icelyn
Originally Posted by Pupito

Glad to hear he is in the files as a companion! smile

He's actually not in as a companion (i.e. not one of the 3 with companion flags that were datamined). He's part of a group of characters that include "who do you dream off" character and NPCs who hangs out in your camp.

Icelyn Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by azarhal
He's actually not in as a companion (i.e. not one of the 3 with companion flags that were datamined). He's part of a group of characters that include "who do you dream off" character and NPCs who hangs out in your camp.

frown They should promote him to full companion! It is EA. There is still time. smile

Last edited by Icelyn; 17/10/20 04:34 PM.
I was reading a certain thread and combing through certain files that make it look as if we will not be getting Halsin as a party companion or romance option. What I saw only indicated one "good" aligned male romance option and... no.

I feel like not including Halsin as a party member and romance option would be a huge missed opportunity. He's interesting, has a good character design, and he seems like he would make a great companion for a good paladin, cleric, or any other character that isn't into shady business. He's also fairly unique when compared to the romance options in other games.

The unconfirmed "good" male character as a romance just seems odd and almost more like a joke. I'm fine with him being an option since I'm sure there are lots of people that would be excited but it feels more like he should be a bonus whereas Halsin feels like he would be a more serious option that could round out the party well. I'd like one male option that is neither overly zany or whose facebook relationship status would be "it's complicated."

The character I'm talking about is Minsc, btw. I liked him in BG1 (never played BG2) but he's thoroughly hamster-zoned for me.

old hand
old hand
Minsk and Boo will be in the game? Where does this information come from?

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Check out the datamining thread on the general board. I also extracted the files and had a look through and he comes up multiple times along with the current companions. Also Karlach and someone named Helia.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Would you want to romance Halsin if he was an old wizened dude like Larian had planned him to be? He was supposed to be a Deckard Cain kind of figure (I do hope you are familiar with Diablo franchise, if not.. then bad luck), he was supposed to be this really old archdruid, not this super hunky Hulk-wanna-be elf dude really. If the answer is yes, then fine. But... the way I see the story unfold, I think he's not gonna survive past the Moonrise Towers. Just a hunch really. But who knows, from what I've heard Larian is shocked at the thirst for Halsin, so maybe he'll live and you'll get your wishes. Same way some Minthara fanboys might get theirs.

As for Minsc, I personally was hoping that he'd remain a pure, un-tadpoled ranger that everyone knows and loves, not a love interest AND an origin character... hell, Boo is Minsc's one true love. It is known. His witches are like his daughters/siblings, so no, I don't want Minsc as a romance option, again another stupid idea of Larian that I'm hoping they might reconsider.

Hell, as a Gorion's ward, all I saw in Minsc is what I saw in Imoen, a step-sibling we never had, not a boyfriend. And it's all I'm gonna see in Minsc if Larian sticks to their stupid origin story for Minsc. A friend, good friend, not a fuck boy. I don't understand whatever happened to actual companions? Henchmen? Hirelings? Why does everyone have to be a playable origin story suddenly? In BG1/2 you had premade characters you could choose for a protagonist, but you would never actually meet them in game, if you chose to create your own, whatever happened to that design? I know it's an old game design, but old doesn't equal bad.

Also, sorry for this rant in the spoiler. wink

Last edited by Nicottia; 31/10/20 07:25 AM.
I'm familiar with Diablo and know who Deckard Cain is but I don't see the relevance of that or what Halsin's original design was intended to be. If anything it's proof that plans can change, and change in big ways. What matters is what we did get and what we did get is a likeable character that many people would like to see stick around for the main story. I think you're likely right that he won't stay much past that story point but I think it would be a huge shame. I also have no personal interest in Minthara but I think it would be great if they added her for people really committed to their evil playthroughs. When are more options ever a bad thing? (I'm sure there's plenty but I'm not getting into that lol)

I mean, we don't know how they'll handle it. Maybe Minsc will be an option for players who don't want romance to spend time with during those typical romancey scenes. That would actually be really nice--a character who is just a best friend/bro. But if he is a full blown romance, while it definitely wouldn't be for me, I wouldn't necessarily object because I'm sure there are a lot of other people who would really want that. But I have a feeling that a lot of people would prefer him as a friend so I feel like he should be a bonus companion rather than the 4th male if our total character count is 8--4 romanceable main females and 4 romanceable main males.

I strongly agree that I wish they would abandon the concept of origin characters and invest that time in giving us more options for pc origin options. More like Dragon Age Origins or GW2 where choosing your background influences how the world interacts with you and some quest lines for the player.

Last edited by pinklily; 31/10/20 07:48 AM.
Well the way I see it - it's not in the game/files yet smile

They said they were surprised by the positive feedback he's received so as it's still EA there's no reason not to add it right?

I guess if there was a poll "whom would you rather romance Minsc (and Boo) or Halsin?" I'm pretty sure the results would be quite unequivocal.

As for Deckard Cain argument - well we're playing with the cards we were dealt not with woulda, coulda, shoulda.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Nicottia
Would you want to romance Halsin if he was an old wizened dude like Larian had planned him to be? He was supposed to be a Deckard Cain kind of figure (I do hope you are familiar with Diablo franchise, if not.. then bad luck), he was supposed to be this really old archdruid, not this super hunky Hulk-wanna-be elf dude really. If the answer is yes, then fine. But... the way I see the story unfold, I think he's not gonna survive past the Moonrise Towers. Just a hunch really. But who knows, from what I've heard Larian is shocked at the thirst for Halsin, so maybe he'll live and you'll get your wishes. Same way some Minthara fanboys might get theirs.

As for Minsc, I personally was hoping that he'd remain a pure, un-tadpoled ranger that everyone knows and loves, not a love interest AND an origin character... hell, Boo is Minsc's one true love. It is known. His witches are like his daughters/siblings, so no, I don't want Minsc as a romance option, again another stupid idea of Larian that I'm hoping they might reconsider.

Hell, as a Gorion's ward, all I saw in Minsc is what I saw in Imoen, a step-sibling we never had, not a boyfriend. And it's all I'm gonna see in Minsc if Larian sticks to their stupid origin story for Minsc. A friend, good friend, not a fuck boy. I don't understand whatever happened to actual companions? Henchmen? Hirelings? Why does everyone have to be a playable origin story suddenly? In BG1/2 you had premade characters you could choose for a protagonist, but you would never actually meet them in game, if you chose to create your own, whatever happened to that design? I know it's an old game design, but old doesn't equal bad.

Also, sorry for this rant in the spoiler. wink

Yes they are definitely aware that some players are thirsty for Halsin.
I don't think there is a space to romance Halsin in the 1st Act regardless... At least not without going to the Moonrise Towers - personally I don't think that he will die there.
They would need to add some development between him and the MC. Minthara jumping you makes sense at that point, especially for drow. He is a druid, that you just rescued - or defended his grove.
There is not much reason for romance there - other than the godly body.
I am personally not even sure, if I trust him, but most of the characters have me thinking twice about their intentions; I think that's definitely a positive.

I also really don't understand the decision to have Minsc romanceable, but I will shut up about it, because in the end it's just an option. In my head it wouldn't be canon.

As for henchmen/hirelings in some shape and form are coming; I believe they said they'd look into it, I don't think it's confirmed - but even if it was somehow missing on full release, mods are probably going to fix that pretty quick...

Last edited by Vamathi; 31/10/20 07:58 AM.

“There is only one thing we say to Death:
Not today.”
Originally Posted by Azarielle
Well the way I see it - it's not in the game/files yet smile

They said they were surprised by the positive feedback he's received so as it's still EA there's no reason not to add it right?

I guess if there was a poll "whom would you rather romance Minsc (and Boo) or Halsin?" I'm pretty sure the results would be quite unequivocal.

As for Deckard Cain argument - well we're playing with the cards we were dealt not with woulda, coulda, shoulda.

*Yet* is very key. And I'm fully aware that the datamining doesn't confirm anything. Act I is still incomplete and you can tell that they knew people would go rifling through the files so some parts seem intentionally scrubbed. All I can go off of is what I've seen in there now. But I remember the first week of EA release and the forums exploded with love for the swole elf. (Personally, I don't even care about his build. He just has a warm personality which was refreshing given how cold the current party is toward you in the beginning.)

Originally Posted by Vamathi
Yes they are definitely aware that some players are thirsty for Halsin.
I don't think there is a space to romance Halsin in the 1st Act regardless... At least not without going to the Moonrise Towers - personally I don't think that he will die there.
They would need to add some development between him and the MC. Minthara jumping you makes sense at that point, especially for drow. He is a druid, that you just rescued - or defended his grove.
There is not much reason for romance there - other than the godly body.
I am personally not even sure, if I trust him, but most of the characters have me thinking twice about their intentions; I think that's definitely a positive.

I also really don't understand the decision to have Minsc romanceable, but I will shut up about it, because in the end it's just an option. In my head it wouldn't be canon.

As for henchmen/hirelings in some shape and form are coming; I believe they said they'd look into it, I don't think it's confirmed - but even if it was somehow missing on full release, mods are probably going to fix that pretty quick...

I agree that there isn't enough time to get to know him during Act I. Honestly, and I know this is highly unlikely, it would be nice if they restructured the overall romance progression in Act I. Probably the most common complaint I see is that romances go from 0 to 60 at that party. It would be nice if there was more relationship development across the board.

I got chewed out on reddit by a rabid Minsc fan who wanted to bone him. I hadn't even said he shouldn't be an option--just that I was disappointed by it. So they're out there! and I wouldn't want to deny them that happiness. Even though I think it's a strange direction to take him.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by pinklily
I agree that there isn't enough time to get to know him during Act I. Honestly, and I know this is highly unlikely, it would be nice if they restructured the overall romance progression in Act I. Probably the most common complaint I see is that romances go from 0 to 60 at that party. It would be nice if there was more relationship development across the board.

I got chewed out on reddit by a rabid Minsc fan who wanted to bone him. I hadn't even said he shouldn't be an option--just that I was disappointed by it. So they're out there! and I wouldn't want to deny them that happiness. Even though I think it's a strange direction to take him.

Some people can't even trigger certain scenes at the moment... there is a lot of work in progress there with romance, even though actual encounters might stay the same?

Almost everyone will get hot and heavy after the grove/goblin battle, but for some people - especially on full release this could be completely skipped - as you could always just find Moonrise on your own.

I would love to see more dialogue options with most origin characters even in Act 1, if you reach High approval, regardless of your quest progression.
I want to see options with variations of compliments/showing interest towards the characters.

“There is only one thing we say to Death:
Not today.”
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard