Next Thread
Print Thread
cal1s Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
[Beware Spoilers Ahead]

Hi there,

The thing I dislike the most right now is that I feel I'm being forced to constantly switch my companions due to story reasons, and that the overall party size of 4 is too limiting for a D&D, especially a FR campaign.

Example:

- At first I got Shadowheart
- Later I got the Rogue
- Then after a while The Wizard from Waterdeep, Gale.

Now I already have a full party of 4.

A little later I rescued the Githyanki, and she of course couldnt join me, because I reached the maximum party size of 4. So I needed to send her to camp to talk to her later. Now since she claims to know someone who can help with the cure, of course I immediately switched to camp and hired her into my party and kicked Shadowheart of the group (I'm a cleric myself) - Which at this point I already found very disappointing since I really liked her the most of all the companions as of now.

Anyway, When I went to explore the ruin where we first met Shadowheart I again hired her back because I thought that she originally wanted to get inside and I should bring her with me for story reasons.

So I kicked out someone again. (2nd time now).

After the ruins I told Shadowheart to go back and idle at the camp again, so I could continue with the rest of my party.

Now I reached the Druid Grove and I again have the feeling I need to send someone to camp so I can hire the Blade so we can kick the Goblin Boss's arse.

This, imho, is a stupid design decision and really slows down the gaming experience and also unnecessarily kinda forces you to throw away the party composition (and playstyle) you just got used to.

I feel if I don't hire those guys into my party which kinda start some new story questlines I will miss out on something.

I really dont like that.

Please Larian, you need to change this. This is not fun.

D
stranger
stranger
D
This is pretty much exactly how BG2 ran as well. There were more companions than you could use in one party. It was standard practice to grab each one for their side quests, swapping around as needed, then retire the companions you didn't like. Heck, I'm running through now with three custom characters and just one open NPC slot. It's great.

apprentice
apprentice
Well you're in for a treat. Because as it stands right now, according to the Early Access FAQ, there's a comment stating after Act 1 our party is locked with the people we have. Or something to that effect. They haven't clarified and it's causing its own stir, among the adding a 5th/6th slot for a party member. Personally I think it should be 5. 6 Might be a bit much to manage and create balance issues.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
The "design decision" doesn't require you to switch characters.

"I feel if I don't hire..." You are switching characters around, based on your feelings, and complaining about the game design?

Laz (Gith) tells you she has a plan, which you FELT meant that you needed to break up your preferred party.
Wyll has something to do with Goblins, so you "have the feeling" you need to switch your party again.

Maybe you will miss some bit of Companion story, by not having them with you at certain points.
From a design stand point that allows you to play with who you want, and catch up on "Missed" content later on with a replay.

cal1s Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Loki the Cat

From a design stand point that allows you to play with who you want, and catch up on "Missed" content later on with a replay.

That is true. Didn't think about it.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
I've actually felt very little desire to swap out characters so far. The way the game works now even characters at camp will approve/disapprove of your choices. I'm not even entirely sure if you need to take characters along on their personal quests - though I do generally do that.

Originally Posted by odesseiron81
Well you're in for a treat. Because as it stands right now, according to the Early Access FAQ, there's a comment stating after Act 1 our party is locked with the people we have. Or something to that effect. They haven't clarified and it's causing its own stir, among the adding a 5th/6th slot for a party member. Personally I think it should be 5. 6 Might be a bit much to manage and create balance issues.

See this is what I don't understand. If we are getting more companions, are we locked with only three from chapter 2 onwards? Or are we getting more in chapter 2?
Because if they give us more at the beginning, even if its 1 or 2 (I'm not counting spoilers here), that's A LOT of companions to abandon. I mean DOS2 did this - two companions were always left behind, but as much as I love DOS2 I am really not happy with this similarity in BG3.

Last edited by Arideya; 16/10/20 07:14 PM.

"There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed." - Tamoko
D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Telephasic
I've actually felt very little desire to swap out characters so far. The way the game works now even characters at camp will approve/disapprove of your choices. I'm not even entirely sure if you need to take characters along on their personal quests - though I do generally do that.

I don't want to spoil anything. But depending on your party, your type of character and story choices. There are companions that will attack you and when they are dead, they are dead!

W
veteran
veteran
W
I think it’s good to felt out of the mindset of doing everything in one playthrough. Story isn’t there to be checked off on a list.

I’m replaying the game right now to use the companions I didn’t take along with me the first around. When I got to the Druid Grove and was first introduced to Wyll he ate a mean critical from the goblin raid leader in the first round of combat, was swarmed and quickly dispatched.

No more Wyll, no more Wyll story, no more Wyll quests.

This is fine. I don’t need to experience his story in this playthrough.

journeyman
journeyman
I'm doing a solo rogue run right now, just bypassed all of the companions pick up spots, and non companion NPC dialogue changes to fill you in on what you've missed by not having particular party members with you who comment on the world. Point being, you won't miss anything major plot related by picking who you want and ignoring those you do not like, they have already designed around that.

I haven't done the ruins yet, just harpies, first druid fight, and a few of the stragglers, but I'm interested to see where they place the artifact if i ignore shadowheart.

addict
addict
I'm not sure if you played other rpg games where you have companions but take BioWare's Dragon Age for example. It's the same thing. You'll have missions that are known as your companions side quest and that is for you to get to know your companions better. When you mention Shadowheart and having to bring her in order to explore the ruins, that's because it's her quest. If you go to your journal, at the very bottom, each of your companions have a mission. Having to go to where the Githyanki are, that's Lae'zel's mission. Getting rid of the goblins at the Goblin's Camp, that's Wyll's mission. Killing the the Vampire Hunter, that's Astarion's mission. So, it makes sense to bring them along. As I mentioned before, BioWare did the same thing with Dragon Age where you have to bring a certain companions along so that you get approval points with them. Other rpgs that also have companions, do the same thing, especially if you can romance these companions.

P
P
The more I play, the more I think that

1. This first act should just let you have all of the companions with you at all time if you want.
2. But them I'm fine with the the "you have to lock in, for the following acts".

Yes, with #2 you'll miss some of the story options, but that's life -- and replayability.

When there are further companion possibilities added in, maybe some of them will specifically refuse to work together, limiting your party size naturally (so it isn't, like, ten people all traveling around).

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Postwave

2. But them I'm fine with the the "you have to lock in, for the following acts".

Yes, with #2 you'll miss some of the story options, but that's life -- and replayability.

I think everyone is blowing this way out of proportion... You can't return to Act 1's area, so if you do not pick up the companions, they are gone forever. That is what they are saying, not that there is a choice: "Choose 2, the rest die!" just that if you have not recruited them, they will not be recruitable in the future. You don't have to recruit any of them, and by not recruiting them by the end of Act 1, you can't recruit them in the future. I constantly kill Gale everytime he pops out of that stone wall, shifty bastard.

Last edited by macadami; 16/10/20 10:24 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by dspsr1970

I don't want to spoil anything. But depending on your party, your type of character and story choices. There are companions that will attack you and when they are dead, they are dead!

Fair enough. I and my partner are the PCs, and I'm not emotionally invested in any NPC, even a "companion". Frankly, I'm more curious about the fate of a certain ornery goblin than I am about several of the "companions".

Cautionary note: According to the map I'm less than 1/2 way through the adventure (as it is currently)

-I like Shadowheart and find her interesting, but slightly annoying
-I like Lae'zel, and really appreciate the various hints of her culture (haven't met any other Gith yet)
-I find Gale to be arrogant and annoying, but not quite as much as Astarian; also the idea of his curse (I won't bother with details so no spoiler) is just inherently annoying and feels manipulative on the part of the DM (Larian)
-Astarion is the single most annoying character (okay, the Archdruid should be on that list). The idea of befriending him after that intro is a forced and unrealistic as the original/traditional "you all meet in a tavern and get hired by a stranger' (regardless of race/class/alignment) that for years was the standard D&D opening of an adventure
-Wyll; something inherently weird about him - he has the personality of a Paladin stuck in the body of a Wizard.

I'd love as potential companions:

-Sazza; I would be that eventually she and Lae'zel could be ... well whatever the Gith version of "drinking buddies" is, and this could be a beautiful and dangerous friendship
-Lump the Enlightened; his dialogue would be so fun. He could cite recipes to cook whatever and who-ever we killed.
-Karlach; she is just really cool. Also I want the option to change the color of my Tiefling's horns.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Okay, gotta correct myself. Gale is Waaayyy more annoying than Astarion.

old hand
old hand
For these type of games I think it is good to switch out companions until you find the best party for you. Even if they were all going to be available for the whole game, chances are you will have figured out your favourites probably before finishing Act 1.

addict
addict
I don't see how your inability to prioritize or make decisions is a developer design flaw.
You're not forced to switch companions, you just feel compelled to.
There's no single solution to all of the issues in the game, and you won't see everything in one playthrough.

Larian shouldn't make arbitrary decisions based on what certain people think is fun or isn't fun.
If that were the case, you'd be pretty miserable if I got my way because I love the maximum party size as-is, and I'm looking forward to many runs with different party/class setups.
There are multiple ways to ultimately resolve the tadpole problem, so pick one and stick with it.
Your desire to have a singular "perfect playthrough" and do it all isn't feasible.

Also, there's not a singular reason to proceed forth with those specific characters for any of the examples that you've mentioned.
The goblin camp can be cleared and resolved without Wyll, and you can handle your business at the Gith creche without Lae'zel.
In both of those examples, the resulting plot development doesn't hinge specifically on those characters or their presence there because what's going on in those areas is bigger than any one character.

In any event, it's all kinda moot. You're going to be forced to slim your party down and axe some companions at some point in the final release, so you won't get to do everything anyway.
If you're reacting like this to obligating yourself to see everything through for everyone, I'm really worried about how you're going to react when some of those people aren't an option anymore and those questlines force-close.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

journeyman
journeyman

Was that actually confirmed for BG3 or is it rumored because that's how DOS2 was. Judging from the act 1 we have so far I find it hard to believe they'd cram another 2-3 companions in that area.

V
V
Originally Posted by Vexor

Was that actually confirmed for BG3 or is it rumored because that's how DOS2 was. Judging from the act 1 we have so far I find it hard to believe they'd cram another 2-3 companions in that area.

My guess that this is only for the Origin characters. So it either refers to people removed that you have not met on that map, as you likely can not return, or that for some reason certain NPCs will not be available any more due to story reasons or player choices. So let us say you want to remove the tadpole, but there are only resources for four people. Or someone sacrifices himself, or is sacrificed, or Lae'zel returns to her people. Or for a reason you split up.

Once you are past act I, you will then meet the other people in the files either permanent or temporary. I mean there is the whole camp mechanic that seems heavily enforced by Larian, where most interactions seem to happen, similar to the Normandy, or the camp in Dragon Age. So a social hub. With only three other people the whole concept makes little sense, you could have all interactions on the maps and do not need a special screen for that.

On the topic at hand: I understand, but with the camp mechanic you can easily swap people in and out. So that it is easy to experience all the interactions of people with the world. I would also like to have more companions around at any time, but this seems unlikely as the game is turn-based and rather slow in general and more agents would just slow it down even more.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard