Print Thread
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by Telephasic
Originally Posted by Arideya

Astarion, but I am a fan of travelling circus smile Who's yours?

Romantically speaking, none of them "do it" for me, but I think as a person I like Wyll the best.

Same!

enthusiast
enthusiast
I am a bit concerned about what will happen to the companions we don't keep. Larian has stated that we need to commit to 3 companions for a party of 4 like in Divinity.
The ones we didn't pick died when Dallis attacks the Lady Vengeance.
So we need to be careful who we want with us after the First Act.

Last edited by TheAscendent; 16/10/20 10:27 PM.

Evil always finds a way.
From a D&D level perspective, are these characters what someone would expect for a level 1 character? Werewolves, vampire spawn, demon possessed, etc., all empowered by a tadpole? It honestly seems weird to me. I would figure more so some average person that was abducted and empowered by the tadpole would make more sense.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
The probability of getting this group of characters is very small. But I guess probability was considered less important than interesting backstories.

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
In my experience of games, players end up with a real United Nations of races when they pick their characters. The current party of the D&D game I'm currently in (on hold overt Covid lockdown but still alive) consists of a tabaxi, a halfling, a triton, a tiefling, a half-orc, and two humans (including my own - I started with a aasimar and have also played a vampire PC in that campaign). In that respect, the companions we have on offer in BG3 are actually not far off the demographic in terms of non-human to human races.

Last edited by Sadurian; 17/10/20 12:25 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
My pnp campaign is also quite diverse.

Firbolg Life Cleric of Eldath
Human Wolf totem Barbarian
Dwarf Battlerager Barbarian
Gnome Thief Rogue
Elf Bladesinger Wizard
Goblin/Kobold Dragonblood Sorcerer/Moon Druid (mechanically just goblin iirc, but GM gave him a magic item that gives him pack tactics to give the kobold feel)

We used to half a Half Elf Archfey tome pact warlock, but the player took a break and when he returned made the Gnome instead.

O
stranger
stranger
O
Does anyone else believe we might get one companion per class, so 12 total? That would be perfect.

I thought I read somewhere there were about 12 writers as well, each writing one companion, but I might be misremembering.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ocece
Does anyone else believe we might get one companion per class, so 12 total? That would be perfect.

I thought I read somewhere there were about 12 writers as well, each writing one companion, but I might be misremembering.

How I like this EA optimism that everyone spreads around laugh

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."

If the first post in this thread is accurate, we'll have 8 total.

If the other news that our party will be locked after Act 1 is true, I'm still wondering how they'll manage to introduce even 8 companions in Act 1, with enough time for us to try them out and see who to commit to. Maybe it will work. I'll probably be choosing the party based more on class than personality anyway.

O
stranger
stranger
O
Haha, well, I'm liking the game a lot and maybe I put too much trust in Larian! I don't know, but if there aren't 12 it's not a big deal, I already like 4 out of those 5 (Not Astarion...)

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by TheAscendent
I am a bit concerned about what will happen to the companions we don't keep. Larian has stated that we need to commit to 3 companions for a party of 4 like in Divinity.

I somehow doubt we'll have a repeat of that. It fit into the overarching scheme/plot of DOS2 because of the Highlander-style "There Can Only Be One" Sourceror/god contest.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Jermz238

I somehow doubt we'll have a repeat of that. It fit into the overarching scheme/plot of DOS2 because of the Highlander-style "There Can Only Be One" Sourceror/god contest.

Hopefully you are right

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Originally Posted by Jermz238

True, that was a natural fit within the plot for removing the companions you didn't select. However, there are some plot-related ways it could be similar here. For example, I doubt the tadpoles will be removed from everyone at the end of Act 1, because that seems like it might be the driver for the entire plot -- whether you use the power for evil, or fight it until there's some conclusion at the end of the game.

The companions you don't select at the end of Act 1 aren't likely to just drift off and leave the area with those things in their heads. Maybe the ones you don't pick will lose whatever temporary immunity is preventing them from turning, So they turn into Mind Flayers and you have to defeat them. That would be nasty, so I hope it doesn't happen. Not to mention a vastly overpowered group of enemies. But it would neatly solve the problem of where your non-selected companions end up.

ETA: It just occurred to me that this is even foreshadowed in the camp dialogues, with "what would you use to kill me if I turned?" and the rest.

Last edited by Frumpkis; 17/10/20 05:43 PM.
Minsc is the only Origin character I would seriously consider playing.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Traycor

Minsc is actually the master sidekick imo

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Abits
Originally Posted by Traycor

Minsc is actually the master sidekick imo

I plan on doing the exact opposite. I’m going to have Minsc be the hero of my first playthrough but I’ll also make a custom rogue who I will role play as his highly competent but forever exasperated sidekick. 😂

Even better, I’ll also have him be a defendant of my Bhaalspawn and Jaheira. Continuity!

Last edited by Warlocke; 17/10/20 06:52 PM.

Each writer developing a character sounds familiar, I do remember each creating one as if they were creating their own character sheet, but I don't know how many writers Larian has for this, so I'm unsure if that means 12 companions. I do like the sound of 12 as it gives an opportunity for ones I'd certainly like. Though based on the current races it doesn't give hope for more humans or elves.

stranger
stranger

Omg ;-; I didn't know that!
Well, the only one who's safe is Astarion. Wyll's dead, just because he's the same class as my MC (Until other classes are added) and I think it's going to be a toss up between Shadowfart and Gale, just because Lae'zel's a beast in combat....it's probably going to be Shadowfart tbh. Her personality is just grating, even if she does love my chaotic evil/neutral MC.

Originally Posted by Warlocke
I plan on doing the exact opposite. I’m going to have Minsc be the hero of my first playthrough but I’ll also make a custom rogue who I will role play as his highly competent but forever exasperated sidekick. 😂!

Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser? smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
I used to have a werewolf hale-elf druid character back in a 3,5 campaign. I was planning to resurrect him in full release (as simple half wood elf druid from the circle of the moon), but if we are going to have a werewolf druid Origin pc then I will seriously consider playing as her. Man, this thread really makes me curious about those upcoming Origin pcs.

Last edited by spacehamster95; 17/10/20 08:27 PM.
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard