Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#703440 17/10/20 06:10 PM
L
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
L
Large battles are ridiculous. I literally fell asleep in the middle of a battle while waiting for enemy actions. This turn-based business and AI is quite frankly atrocious. Like someone said in another thread, small battles are okay in this but as soon as you start to have 7+ enemies the battles just become way too long. If you have the ability and sometimes necessity to save in the middle of battle, you know your battles are too long. Simple. It's pretty bad when the battles are so long that you are literally falling asleep. The large battles are a distraction from the story progression. Make live action an option!

T
addict
addict
T
I have not felt this at all.

veteran
veteran
Complaints about the overall pacing of a battle are a thing that can have its merits, according to what your point of content exactly is.
Complaints that "the AI takes too long to think its moves" on the other hand are completely pointless.

It should go without saying that it's a work in progress and they'll do their best to make it better. It's like interrupting someone who's trying to cook your dinner complaining that his stew needs more time on the stove.

Last edited by Tuco; 17/10/20 06:16 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
L
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
L
This is a feedback forum right? This is my feedback. The derivative elements of DOS are badly integrated. This is my opinion, deal with it

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by LookingforBG
This is a feedback forum right? This is my feedback. The derivative elements of DOS are badly integrated. This is my opinion, deal with it

Useful feedback is about things that are useful to point because it's not implicit they will be addressed.

"THERE'S NO ACT 2 IN THE GAME YET!" is not useful feedback.

Last edited by Tuco; 17/10/20 06:19 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
L
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
L
Who determines the usefulness of feedback, you? I think not

veteran
veteran
Who determines the usefulness of feedback, you? I think not

It shoudl be common sense, but I know it's asking too much.

L
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
L
You have your opinion, I have mine. This can happen smile If you don't like it you can post in another thread your opinion.

L
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
L
Its pretty sad that someone can't speak their mind anymore without criticism from a forum lord. People can have different opinions, and my feedback is stated as it is. The battles with more than 7 or 8 enemies, are too long. The End.

old hand
old hand

and just to check, your solve for it was live combat? It is really hard to imagine them doing that because of their ai. Its subjective but I feel like when its their turn a list a mile long of checks starts going down "Are there explosive materials in the area? Are you in range? are the PCs in range of the explosion? Are you? Are other explosives in range of the explosion? are you in the range of that explosion?" and its doing this environment checkdown and I dont even know if its possible live play. Ive seen them do a few things where I was just like wow...how did you think of that. If environment got de-prioritized for combat I think itd go a *lot* faster.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
L
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
L
Originally Posted by Orbax

and just to check, your solve for it was live combat? It is really hard to imagine them doing that because of their ai. Its subjective but I feel like when its their turn a list a mile long of checks starts going down "Are there explosive materials in the area? Are you in range? are the PCs in range of the explosion? Are you? Are other explosives in range of the explosion? are you in the range of that explosion?" and its doing this environment checkdown and I dont even know if its possible live play. Ive seen them do a few things where I was just like wow...how did you think of that. If environment got de-prioritized for combat I think itd go a *lot* faster.

Well yeah, the game is currently structured around the turn-based environment that Larian basically decided from the start they were going to do. The AI is what it is and I dont need to state the obvious, but the number of checks you refer to are what clog the battles up in my opinion. The live play suggestion is mostly a beckoning to the more traditional BG games where you could commit your actions while paused during battle and they would be executed simultaneously. However, with the current battle mechanic, all the pathfinding, the environment effects, the rolls, this sort of computation is out of bounds currently. We are essentially stuck with the turn based mess, which again is a reference to my initial post. But essentially I agree with portions of your reply, the environment being de-prioritized would be a start in the right direction.

Last edited by LookingforBG; 17/10/20 06:29 PM.
veteran
veteran
Its pretty sad that someone can't speak their mind anymore without criticism from a forum lord. People can have different opinions, and my feedback is stated as it is. The battles with more than 7 or 8 enemies, are too long. The End.

I have absolutely no objections about you feeling that the battles taking too long.
I just pointed out to you that complaining that the AI is slow is pointless since they will OBVIOUSLY make it faster as soon as they will figure out how.
You simply decided to take offense on in and protest, instead of taking in the friendly advice and metabolizing it.

Last edited by Tuco; 17/10/20 06:30 PM.

L
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
L
Originally Posted by Tuco
Complaints about the overall pacing of a battle are a thing that can have its merits, according to what your point of content exactly is.
Complaints that "the AI takes too long to think its moves" on the other hand are completely pointless.

It should go without saying that it's a work in progress and they'll do their best to make it better. It's like interrupting someone who's trying to cook your dinner complaining that his stew needs more time on the stove.

I don't agree that it is pointless to complain about AI being slow. I don't take offense, I just disagree with your statement.

N
old hand
old hand
N

This is not pointless at all. If the AI is so slow but they still put it like it is in their EA, it means they wanted to have the feedback from players. And most of us think there is a big problem with combat at the moment, especially encounters with lots of participants. It's something which needs to be addressed before release.

We need the combat to be at least as smooth and engaging as DOS 2.

Last edited by Nyanko; 17/10/20 06:33 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Nyanko

This is not pointless at all. If the AI is so slow but they still put it like it is in their EA, it means they wanted to have the feedback from players.

Yeah, about what moves it does, not how long it takes.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Nyanko

This is not pointless at all. If the AI is so slow but they still put it like it is in their EA, it means they wanted to have the feedback from players.

Yeah, about what moves it does, not how long it takes.

What are you basing that on?

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
veteran
veteran

Because if I show you the pencil draft for an illustration I'm planning to make and ask your feedback, I'd like to hear what you think about the lines, not about the colors.
You know, the thing I didn't even begin to address yet.

N
old hand
old hand
N

Because if I show you the pencil draft for an illustration I'm planning to make and ask your feedback, I'd like to hear what you think about the lines, not about the colors.
You know, the thing I didn't even begin to address yet.

Sorry no. If you didn't want people who you are asking what they think of your painting to comment on colors, you would show them a grayscale version of your work.

There is no line anywhere saying Larian doesn't want us to comment on combat. Because as a matter of fact, they do.

Last edited by Nyanko; 17/10/20 06:42 PM.
H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H

Useful feedback is about things that are useful to point because it's not implicit they will be addressed.

"THERE'S NO ACT 2 IN THE GAME YET!" is not useful feedback.

Tuco blaming people for thinking differently, again. huhu.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
veteran
veteran

Well yeah, the game is currently structured around the turn-based environment that Larian basically decided from the start they were going to do.

Correction. It is structured around the mechanics of D&D 5th edition which WotC wants them to use.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/763351879

See 29:24 for the start of RtwP discussion.

• 30:03: "There's much more tactical depth that we are able to put in there, that we wouldn't have been able to do in real-time-with-pause. Which, ends up, if you want to have that tactial depth [in Real-Time-with-Pause], being pausing continuously."
• 30:30: "Actions, bonus actions, movement, manipulation of your actions, manipulation of your bonus actions, getting an extra action - all these things are lost when you make it real time."

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard