Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost
Originally Posted by dreambled
I don't recall seeing any masculine looking ladies in the character creation.

Look at the bone structure...

[Linked Image]

The heavily pronounced zygomatic bone is a defining masculine feature. Yes, women have it too but not like this. This is just one example.

You remind me of the weirdo on the old official Bioware Social Network who was obsessed with Cassandra looking manly. He used to analyse her skull to try and prove that she looked like a dude. He ended up really annoying David Gaider both on the BSN and twitter

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Please god, no BESM hentai-style faces.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Lady Avyna
I agree. I also feel it's a little tacky for the females to have eye makeup but no lip color.

I was quite surprised that there was no lipstick option, but I can't picture many adventurers sitting down at the make-up table each morning to apply the slap, so my surprise was a pleasant one.

That said, the option to add a little more colour in the lips would not be terrible. Some of those skin tones are frighteningly pale. I'd also like to do the full Goth look for a necromancer build, but we are then back to having a make-up box and full regime each day. Bring back Prestidigitation, I say.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The NPC's and companions have to follow the style of the game, and that's quite good, with enough variety, both pretty and less so.

The player character and custom made companions however should be anything, that's up to the player.

Live and let live. What bothers you if others want prettier faces in their single player?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Please god, no BESM hentai-style faces.
No ahegao faces? -1/10

Necromancy is just recycling...
T
T
Originally Posted by dreambled
I don't recall seeing any masculine looking ladies in the character creation.

Look at the bone structure...

[Linked Image]

The heavily pronounced zygomatic bone is a defining masculine feature. Yes, women have it too but not like this. This is just one example.

Is there more examples? Because this one isnt very convincing. I mean, if someone were to ask me to guess the gender of that portrait I'm fairly sure 99/100 would guess its "female".

Also not all women needs to be hyper feminine in order to look female. I'm sure you know this by just looking out your window. But if you do want a hyperfeminine face there is a half-elf one I would suggest.

Originally Posted by vometia

Huh. I usually wear eye-liner but often don't bother with lips as dye dries them out and lipstick... er, let's just say I can't be trusted with it.

I'm the opposite. My eyes are too big, so they look weird with eye-liner, the whole structure of my face gets turned out of proportion, I don't even know how to explain it. And it sucks, because every other girl manages to pull it off and I can't :'D

I agree. I also feel it's a little tacky for the females to have eye makeup but no lip color.

I wouldn't say tacky? But more makeup options, specifically a lip category separated from eyes, would be amazing. I'm a deep winter so my to go look is always a red lip smile

Last edited by Goldberry; 17/10/20 12:57 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Ehh...I don't see any reason to assume these kinds of "These women don't look like real women" -threads berating feminine appearances already vetted by the entertainment industry, as ugly, too masculine etc. are at core nothing more than normal gender trolling. The baseline effort being expressions of attention seeking misogyny calling (all) women ugly. At best, they're acting out in accordance to gender norms that one has no words for: by fixating on (the supposed lack of) looks, they're just trying to enforce the notion that women are nothing more than pleasant things to look at(failing even in that by being excessively something more) and enforcing impossible/harmful beauty/gender ideals. Knowingly or not, they're not complaining about looks, but about how women(and men) act and exist in ways that are unacceptable to them, of course doing it in a knee jerk fashion by calling women ugly/unrealistic/masculine/perverse etc.

And I'm not at all suprised threads of this type get attention. Ruminating on other peoples distance from supposedly shared/natural norms(femininity/masculinity, sanity, morals, production quotas etc.), is how we produce/'act out to' those norms.

Last edited by IdPreferNotTo; 17/10/20 01:04 PM.

The promise of being led to death is reason enough to follow.
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Ehm... no! What kind of ideal do you want catered to?

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
I'm sure I'm not the only one to wondering what sort of women the OP is surrounded by on a daily basis. I certainly know plenty of women with facial features that appear a lot less 'feminine' than the BG3 selection. But then, what is feminine? I've seen men who could easily pass as a woman but they are no less 'masculine' for it. A female friend is regularly mistaken for a man (she is gay and people assume that she is the man when out with her girlfriend) despite being as biologically female as any woman is.

In a world where all women look like Svetla Dimitrova (below), many or most women are going to look feminine. The opposite is true is your world is dominated by highly retouched photos of supermodels.

[Linked Image]

ETA: In a slight tangent, I think Svetla's face would make a great model for a no-nonsense fighter or hard-bitten barbarian.
For those wondering, she is a biological woman and is married.

Last edited by Sadurian; 17/10/20 01:58 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Am I the only one that finds this to be the case? Just adding sliders would do a lot to improve the situation because then we could make the females look more female if if the preset is masculine.

I agree with you.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Sadurian

I was quite surprised that there was no lipstick option, but I can't picture many adventurers sitting down at the make-up table each morning to apply the slap, so my surprise was a pleasant one.

That said, the option to add a little more colour in the lips would not be terrible. Some of those skin tones are frighteningly pale. I'd also like to do the full Goth look for a necromancer build, but we are then back to having a make-up box and full regime each day. Bring back Prestidigitation, I say.

I agree. I don't mean for the females to have a full set of makeup but at least make the lips a little more pinkish so that the lighter skin complexions don't look so pale.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Goldberry
Originally Posted by vometia

Huh. I usually wear eye-liner but often don't bother with lips as dye dries them out and lipstick... er, let's just say I can't be trusted with it.

I'm the opposite. My eyes are too big, so they look weird with eye-liner, the whole structure of my face gets turned out of proportion, I don't even know how to explain it. And it sucks, because every other girl manages to pull it off and I can't :'D

I wouldn't say tacky? But more makeup options, specifically a lip category separated from eyes, would be amazing. I'm a deep winter so my to go look is always a red lip smile

Maybe "tacky" is me being to harsh..lol. What I mean is that with only eye makeup, especially on lighter skin tones can make the character look a lot more paler, so adding pinkish lips might be a little better and they might look more prettier. At least in my opinion.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Black purple lipstick with matching heavy eye shadow, using the most pallid facial complexion.

I don't like it in real life, but it is almost mandatory for necromancers.

stranger
stranger
Femininity doesn't mean anime girls. There is nothing wrong with femininity and feminine stereotypes. I can guarantee you the majority of men go for feminine women if they have the choice. It's just that in recent times some people are pushing the "women have to be as strong as men" idea and are claiming that it's wrong to save the princess. There is nothing wrong with saving the princess in a fantasy RPG and I hope larian keeps that in mind smile

T
addict
addict
T
Ummm....no. No they're not.

Originally Posted by Kaspr
Femininity doesn't mean anime girls. There is nothing wrong with femininity and feminine stereotypes.

I am extremely feminine, and I fall into several feminine stereotypes.

I still don't think the current faces are masculine. I mean, they're literally scans of real women, so...

Still, there is nothing wrong with asking for more variety, I am sure they will add more heads somewhere along the way, probably there'll be some you'll like.

M
M
Yeah, two years in and all the women still look like dudes and all the men look like dudes. 10 will get you 20 that if we were to ask any of the "guys" here that said the women don't look too masculine for pictures of real world women they find attractive I'd bet the jawlines on those women would be strong enough to hold up a bridge.

G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
Characters are extremely skinny, they look like someone who suffers from anorexia. Or drug addicts. What sucks they all comes from same mold. Theres no variation.

Ive said it million time Larian should give extra care for Characters, they are massive part of CRPGs. Basically you're looking at them, 95% of the time? I cant understand devs priorities sometimes.

If the Character Design was top 1 stuff, they could even sell Characters. They could sell some fat bastard Warrior and people buy it.

Last edited by GreatWarrioX; 16/01/22 04:08 AM.
L
addict
addict
L
Ugh, not another one of these threads. Some people in the video game community have this (frankly unsettling) fixation with labeling any female character who doesn't fit their (incredibly narrow) definition of feminine perfection as 'masculine' or a secret 'male' face. Quite frankly, I find it incredibly sexist and transphobic.

Seriously, that screenshot of a player avatar looks like a model. This is borderline insane.

Honestly if there's anything wrong with the face models, I'd have to say that

(1) too many of them are traditionally attractive-probably a symptom of them being scanned from models IMO. There could be some benefit to getting some more variety I think.

(2) would be that while the gnomes/dwarves/halflings/gith have appropriate faces, the elves really lack any appropriately distinctively 'elven' faces-probably because like the human and half-elf faces (and unlike the gith/dwarves etc) they weren't really tweaked from the scans/built from scratch. You could swap around the human/elf/half-elf faces and half the playerbase probably wouldn't notice IMO (I think there are actually mods that do that already).

But the idea that Larian selected a bunch of 'unacceptably masculine' women for the head scans is absolutely bonkers.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard