This has been a problem for my friend and me since the lobby crash was fixed shortly after release. Inviting on another to a multiplayer game lobby or into a loaded game has worked only once.
We use the Game's UI to invite each other the lobby and/or loaded game via the session menu, we don't initiate the invitation through the stadia overlay. The other gets a Stadia popup saying "You've been invited to a game by XYZ". Clicking on that stadia UI element causes the game to attempt to load (there's often a progress bar, but on repeat attempts there's not always one) and then the joining player is returned to the main screen with a dialog "There was a problem on our end. Please try again."
We've tried this on four-five different occasions. A few days ago it failed when I invited my friend to new game, but it worked when my friend invited me (?). We then played for a while and saved it. Now, when my friend loads the game and invites me via the session menu, I continually get the error.
Other pieces of evidence:
- Game clients are the same version on the Stadia instances. We once had a problem early on where we had a version mismatch.
- I do not see my friend's game in the lobby list of open games. Also sometimes there's a UI element in the lobby to filter by friends, and sometimes there isn't.... ?
- While switching up who invites who worked that one time, it hadn't worked even previous attempts. Unfortunately now that my friend is hosting the game - and has the save game file - he has to be the one who invites.
- We've tried leaving the game and starting it again. I assume, however, that we're probably rejoining the same stadia server associated with our account.
- We've tried restarting our computers in case there was something funky going on with the chrome instances that we were running from.
- My friend tried to move to another computer but we still have the same issue.