Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
stranger
stranger
G
I get seriously lagged out when killing the hobgoblin boss. Seems that as soon as the fights get a bit large my 16gb i7 with nvidia 1070 and a fast SSD are just not enough for NPCs that are "Planning their next move." The fight takes approximately 5-10 times as long as it would if there weren't these long pregnant pauses.

Edit: Note all antivirus and other background software have been disabled, video has been turned down to medium to lower the number of seemingly-resource-leak-related crashes, but these pauses are still a problem.

Last edited by gekkoe; 15/10/20 08:45 PM.
stranger
stranger
"I wonder if it could be the background data capturing they are doing.We know they have maps of where ppl died most so I'm assuming they have trackers in the background constantly to catch everything we do.I've heard of others game suffering similar issues when there was data collection constantly running in the background.
I've also heard of a single user who said he got better fps after he disconnected his internet which would align with my theory but it's all mainly speculation."

This all DOES in fact seem to track. I'm going to think that this could very well be the possible reason for the freezing for 20 seconds, then resuming, as well as the other related issues. And if that was the case, it makes me feel a lot better that it is nothing on my end, or rather how I have my settings. Thanks for the insight, dude laugh!

P
stranger
stranger
P
On Oct 13/14 I installed a new driver, received a windows update, and "patiently" waited for the latest BG3 patch to download through steam. I've been experiencing performance issues since receiving these updates.
My FPS drops or stutters while moving in and out of combat, and the game freezes for 30sec - 1min randomly while in combat.

- I uninstalled all/any older drivers
- Reinstalled the game
- Changed the graphics settings (which I can run at ultra) and disabled vsync
- Disabled Steam overlay and I'm playing on DirectX12

No solution. Then I tried playing in offline (and disconnected from wifi for the hell of it) and the game runs more smoothly. No freezes in combat and gameplay runs quicker. This is just a hunch, and with no solid proof, but this issue may be due to Larian's monitoring (as highlighted in their latest update).
Gameplay still doesn't feel right, so I'm using MSI Afterburner. Here is a screenshot of my performance:

https://imgur.com/a/Yw43KOU

- CPU is fine but GPU idles between 60 - 70% (no overheating), then drops to 30 - 60% while moving
- FPS is always 20 - 40
- RAM is 5000 - 7000mbs (I don't know if this is good or bad, but my gut says bad)
- I've cleared my cache, cleaned up disk space, and ended unnecessary tasks
- Changed Power Management settings

My rig:

- Windows 10 64 bit
- Geforce GTX 1060
- i7-7700
- 7.86 GB RAM

Sorry, I'm a noob and figuring this out as I go. I'm dropping this here as an FYI for anyone experiencing the same issues and for anyone who can give advice. This could be a problem with my rig, or this may be due to Larian's latest patch and/or poor optimization on their end.

P
stranger
stranger
P
First of all thank you for creating this thread. Couldn't find any discussion about this topic anywhere else.

Here is what i did so far: My rig when i bought BG3 and tried the game for the first time was:

windows 10
gtx1080
intel i7 6700
8gb ram

The game was essentially unplayable with frequent huge fps drops and basically freezes every couple of seconds as i moved my camera. As i had suspected, 8gb was just not enough so i bought an extra 8gb of ram.

My current rig:

windows 10
gtx1080
intel i7 6700
16gb ram

Dramatic improvement from 8gb of ram. Game is now playable and the first section (in the alien ship) runs at a constant 60 fps.
As soon as i reach the camp or druid grove performance drops a lot. Every time i move my character or move the camera or both i get drops that can go to as low as 40 fps. These are very momentary and generally its in the high 50s but rarely at a constant 60 fps.

Changing the graphic settings does almost nothing as well as resolution. Anyway thanks again for this thread, hope performance improves as more updates are released.

Last edited by pfrgamer; 17/10/20 04:35 PM.
veteran
veteran
Yeah performance right now are terrible. But to be fair dos 2 works great as opposed to other recent crpgs on my rig so I believe it will get better

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
stranger
stranger
GeForce GTX 1080, i5 8600K, 16GB RAM, game installed on SSD -- I am also getting the stutter for 2-3 seconds on Vulkan. I have yet to try the same problem areas on DX11.

Last edited by feylis; 17/10/20 06:37 PM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
So far personally I've only had one really bad performance problem. I went into a cut scene and my FPS tanked. I quit the game started it over and Everything was fine.

That being said I'll talk a bit about my set up and specs. I'm running Linux, I use Pop!_OS and I'm running TK-Glitch 5.8 custom kernel for gaming.
I'm running the game in Steam with GloriousEggRoll latest proton. I'm running the game in Vulkan so I don't have do lose performance doing DX to Vulkan translation.

If none of that makes sense sorry, It's not as confusing as it sounds and all I had to do to play the game was install it and pick the GE proton setting in Steam.

My specs are
Ryzen 5 2700x using XFR to overclock
EVGA 1660 Super
16 gigs of Ballistix sport 3200mx with custom timings
Game is running on an inland NVME ssd.

I'm running in Ultra settings. I don't ever experience a 2-3 second freeze in Vulkan like others have experienced. I do have some microstutter when turning the camera.
To be honest I'm pleasantly surprised how well the game is running before optimizations have been made. Here is a screen shot of what FPS I'm getting here and what resources are being used.
I think the lowest I've ever dropped was low 50's besides that one time in the cut scene they tanked.
[img]https://ibb.co/hgjYP3L[/img]

C
stranger
stranger
C
Vulkan: high fps (~60fps) / less input lag (screen rubber banding when panning) but frequent full game client pauses of 3-8 seconds about once every 30 seconds to a minute. Similar to most other complaints about freezing / pausing. Definitely seems worse in big open areas.

DX11: much lower fps (~25), but huge input lag while panning screen, but no 3-8 second pauses.

Certain areas don't seem to be affected, such as small tight areas like a house basement.

Hope this thread stays alive so that Larian gets visibility on the performance issues.

System:
i5-8400
32 GB RAM
Msi GTX 1060 6GB
m.2 nvme SSD storage
Windows 10 Pro

Last edited by ConstantK; 23/10/20 04:04 PM.
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
I can confirm some of the earlier performance degradation issues. Game ran smoothly early gsme. Now I am getting these full stucks where even music pauses for a moment.

1440p medium on vulkan.

Intel I5-9600k
16gb ram
Asus dual 1660ti
Adata 8200 pro nvme ssd

Last edited by Cirrus550; 28/01/21 09:05 PM.

We are all heroes, you and Boo and I! Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!
journeyman
journeyman
Does anyone else still have these freezes? I can not really enjoy playing since ever so often the game freezes. Not only in combat but anywhere.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard