Next Thread
Print Thread
G
GHouse Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Expected behavior: Mage armor + shield + dex modifer of +3 = 18 AC.

Current behavior: Flat 16 AC regardless of shield equipped/unequipped.

Mage armor should stack with equipped shield.

Last edited by GHouse; 17/10/20 10:48 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
shield is considered armor therefore it shouldn't

mage armor and shield also are the same bonus type which also doesn't stack.

Last edited by clavis; 17/10/20 11:31 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by clavis

You can't get additional AC from the same source, but these are different sources. Shields, Shield, and Mage armor do all stack

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/08/10/mundane-shield-and-mage-armor/

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
D
D

The Sage Advice compendium says other wise (https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SA-Compendium.pdf):
"Can you use a shield with mage armor? Mage armor works with a shield. "

Also: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/08/10/mundane-shield-and-mage-armor/

I would say OP is correct and that AC should be 18.

G
GHouse Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Other than this forum is there some other place to pass on feedback? It kind of makes mage armor worthless on an EK.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by GHouse
Other than this forum is there some other place to pass on feedback? It kind of makes mage armor worthless on an EK.

Id drop it in as a bug on the technical forum as well. Since we don't know intent and I dont believe anything in the language on the spell says otherwise, we have to default to 5e rules. By that measure, its a bug.

edit: using the feedback tool from the game launcher goes to a help desk and seems to be a more direct route too. I actually get responses from them there.

Last edited by Orbax; 17/10/20 11:51 PM.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
G
GHouse Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Originally Posted by Orbax
Originally Posted by GHouse

Id drop it in as a bug on the technical forum as well. Since we don't know intent and I dont believe anything in the language on the spell says otherwise, we have to default to 5e rules. By that measure, its a bug.

edit: using the feedback tool from the game launcher goes to a help desk and seems to be a more direct route too. I actually get responses from them there.

Thanks, I'll try that.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by D00med

The Sage Advice compendium says other wise (https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SA-Compendium.pdf):
"Can you use a shield with mage armor? Mage armor works with a shield. "

Also: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/08/10/mundane-shield-and-mage-armor/

I would say OP is correct and that AC should be 18.

hmm, haven't seen that one before. Thanks I'll make a note of it.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Shield is not an armor.
Logically actually would be deny stacking bonuses from physical shield, and shield spell.
But then stacking mechanics in 5e almost non-existent.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Counterargument would be that why you could do that, you can not have a weapon in you main hand unless you have something to get around it like Warcaster feat to cast spells with Somatic components. Since Wizard don't really melee, add spell focuses for main hand and let the Wizards use their spells as their armor.

Last edited by Merry Mayhem; 18/10/20 02:25 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
In 5e arcane spellcasters need only one free hand to perform somatic component. Which can even be overcomed with dual-wielder feat, which allows perform somatic component while wielding two weapons.
Weapon and shield though, yeah, arcane spellcasters just can't cast spells with somatic component while wielding both (no one can actually) [Linked Image]

Last edited by Redwyrm; 18/10/20 02:38 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Redwyrm
In 5e arcane spellcasters need only one free hand to perform somatic component. Which can even be overcomed with dual-wielder feat, which allows perform somatic component while wielding two weapons.
Weapon and shield though, yeah, arcane spellcasters just can't cast spells with somatic component while wielding both (no one can actually) [Linked Image]

War caster allows you to cast with full hands. And the work around is burning your free action to draw/sheathe something in your hand to allow you to cast. They never have a weapon in their main anyway so its just a shield. Mainly comes into play with clerics wearing heavy armor, a shield, and a mace. They go in, attack, free action sheathe, bonus action healing word. Only downside is AOO is with fist, but who really cares. Next turn cast, draw weapon, repeat.The economy makes it so war caster is primary giving you AOO with spells and advantage con checks. The casting with 2 hands is fairly superfluous if you know the free action rules.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Orbax

War caster allows you to cast with full hands.

My bad, it is a warcaster (though i often use both feats).

M
M
Mage Armor and Shield of Faith should stack as well, but it does not in BG3.

Link Copied to Clipboard