Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
journeyman
journeyman
None. To me they're like, "Hi, my name is X and here is my gimmick! Want to learn more?" Nah but you can tag along until I can make more people.

N
old hand
old hand
N
So far, Wyll has the most appealing origin story for me.

I really look forward to meet this Mizora half cambion and see why the drow are so much interested in her.

Shadowheart would come second.

I would like to know why she stole the githyanki artifact and for what purpose.

Last edited by Nyanko; 18/10/20 09:38 AM.
stranger
stranger
Single player: My own main character is the obvious choice for me.

Multiplayer: Astarion. He's an elf, he's a rogue and he has a lot of sass. Very similar to my MC and in multiplayer it means you're not missing out on a companions quests as most people I'd play with would be rolling custom characters.....which would be really boring if we all have the exact same story.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by pinklily

How were you able to play a bit as him? I thought the origin characters weren't available yet for EA?

There is a mod that unlocks all the origin characters option. links could be found both in this forum (search the mods thread) and in the Nexus mods site

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
K
stranger
stranger
K
Hope there will be far more origin characters because right now, I don't really like any

Last edited by Kamzor; 18/10/20 02:02 PM.
I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Kamzor
Hope there will be farm more origin characters because right now, I don't really like any

As every origin character will also be a companion there won't be many more and all of them will be special snowflakes.

veteran
veteran
I won't play any origin character.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
K
stranger
stranger
K
Originally Posted by Ixal
Hope there will be farm more origin characters because right now, I don't really like any

As every origin character will also be a companion there won't be many more and all of them will be special snowflakes.

We should get at last 1 per class per alignment or at last the oportunity to make our own party or something like that

None of them, it will be a custom Rogue.

I usually play a character loosely based on the Corwin main character in the Amber series. Fighter class in D&D might be closer, but Corwin wasn't really a heavy tank. A Rogue in light armor with a rapier feels better.

Astarion would be the closest Origin character to that template, but I don't want to be locked into his scripted story line from what I can see of it so far. I did play the Ifan Origin character in DoS2, but his quest and story was a minimal intrusion on role-playing in that game. It looks like the companion issues are written with a heavier hand here in BG3.

stranger
stranger
If the tutorial is unique for origin characters, I'll probably play through it with each one at least once. Apart from that, I'm not interested in playing origin characters; I'd much rather play my own custom character.

journeyman
journeyman
I won't be playing any of the Origins, I'll make my own character and play

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Ixal

We should get at last 1 per class per alignment or at last the oportunity to make our own party or something like that

Origin character =/= companion.

There is nothing that prevents non origin companions that can be recruited later.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I don't see the point of playing someone else character in a D&D-type game. Maybe for a one-shot, but not for a full game. Even less when it puts me in the shoes of a companion.

Chances are far higher I make additional playthroughs with a custom party than playing an origin. These origins are far too fleshed out. Its like playing Triss or Zoltan in the Witcher - its neither your story nor do your have the freedom to really make it your own, since your background and big moments are already laid out.

I actually have an issue with origin characters being included. They require a lot of effort to be added to the game, from making starting points work, to custom storylines that have to work from the player as well as NPC perspective. This effort could have gone into proper origins for a player character that are not shared with with companions that you have around you in every playthrough, thus giving more replayability value.

Last edited by biomag; 18/10/20 10:13 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by biomag
I don't see the point of playing someone else character in a D&D-type game. Maybe for a one-shot, but not for a full game. Even less when it puts me in the shoes of a companion.

Chances are far higher I make additional playthroughs with a custom party than playing an origin. These origins are far too fleshed out. Its like playing Triss or Zoltan in the Witcher - its neither your story nor do your have the freedom to really make it your own, since your background and big moments are already laid out.

I haven’t played the Witcher games, so forgive me my ignorance, but wouldn’t it also be like playing Geralt, too?

journeyman
journeyman
I'll probably try the custom drow warlock(or some other class) I used for the EA, since I prefer to see how the origin characters would develop on their own(apart from the usual heavyhanded PC influence via choices), and since I like playing characters that are considered evil regardless what they do. Of the current origin characters Astarion (taking gruesome vengeance towards everyone around him by not living up to the expectations people have about vampire spawns), would maybe closest to what I'd go for, but he seems tad too feral as a companion to fit this playstyle.

Last edited by IdPreferNotTo; 18/10/20 10:40 PM.

The promise of being led to death is reason enough to follow.
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by biomag

I haven’t played the Witcher games, so forgive me my ignorance, but wouldn’t it also be like playing Geralt, too?

To me the difference is, like playing Commander Shepard, the game is focused on this character. Actually the whole story of the Witcher franchise as far as I understand it (didn't read the books) is based on him, And I wasn't a fan of it. This was the main reason why I didn't play any game from the series until I was bored and decided to get Witcher 1 & 2 - and again I didn't like it in the beginning because I was playing someone else character, who I had no connection to. But the Witcher is bringing the stories around Geralt to life and he is the hero of those games so there is only his perspective to see them. As much as I dislike playing a predefined character it was the execution of the game and story that made me care about it. Even when you play Ciri in the third installment its just for short parts telling her story, its not taking away from Geralt, but enchanced the experience. Still even though I enjoyed making all the big and small decisions in that game for me it will always be Geralt and not my character.. Still it has a very different feeling than going to BG1 and suddenly play as Imoen the whole game or Minsc or Jaheira.

Looking back at Shepard in Mass Effect he did have a background, but it wasn't anywhere as big that starting the game you had a feeling you missed out on key elements of his past, so you experience his/her story right from the moment that it becomes interesting. Same can be said of Dragon Age 2 or Inquisition.

Dragon Age Origins had 6 origin stories - but they don't run together, even if cannonically they all happen just only your character survives. And again you are there making every character defining decision yourself, not an author who puts you on a railroad for the key moments for your character development.

But the biggest issue for me is that you are simply playing your companions in DOS2 and now BG3. So not only are you using some else's character without any real reason to it, but your are also spoiling the companion's background for yourself.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard