Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#704395 18/10/20 07:53 AM
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
It's a pain to have such negative, hateful companions. Laezel and Shadowheart are too useful not to have around, but they are complete pains in the butt. The game revolves around doing quests, but any time you help someone they disapprove.

I'm not saying we should get all Lawful Good helpful characters. I would like a chance to motivate them in a more alignment-specific way, especially if I have high Charisma and skills like persuasion or intimidation. It ISN'T the case that only good-aligned characters do quests. Motivations can vary: greed for money or loot, gaining faction affiliation, gaining intelligence on the area, etc. We should be able to play on our party's motivations to keep them on side.

addict
addict
Storywise it kind of makes sense, bc it is an urgency thing because a tadpole in the head and should only be focused on that.

But it should not come with punishing the player and making the gameplay annoying, making it so either players are punished with that or avoid game content that was made....ya know...to play.

enthusiast
enthusiast
They gave us all the Evil/Neutral Heroes now to test out how people respond to them to fine-tune them before they throw us the Good Party Members.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I can only suggest not be a snowflake... and neither count your character as snowflake.
Evil companions always spice up the story.

I personally for once can't stand Wyll's naivety and stupidity.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Redwyrm

can't agree more. never had him in my party yet bc he is just 'sooooooo heroic'

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Sigi98
Originally Posted by Redwyrm

can't agree more. never had him in my party yet bc he is just 'sooooooo heroic'

Agree.

apprentice
apprentice
They're all one the extreme end. Only Gale is cool, but he is expensive to feed. Like a punishment if you want a normal companion. I would be ok with one artifact per act tho. Lets hope upcoming ones are good.

D
stranger
stranger
D
I've no problems with Shadowheart, but i'm killing Lae'zel and Astarion on every playthrough. Never regretted that.

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
There's a massive difference between evil, and jerk. Evil characters don't have to be snarky moustache twirling villains. They are people too, they can have friends, and laugh, and have fun. Crazy I know. Adding conflicting personality traits to characters is what makes them feel more real and relatable.

Most of the companions act like they are not 1st level characters. They most likely accomplished more in their adventuring career hanging with the PC than ever before. Laezel is acting like killing a camp full of goblins is just another day at work. Nothing special. She most likely haven't done anything close to it in her life, and still every time I approach her I get this "SPEAK! QUICKLY!" like I am working for her or something. The same goes for the rest, they all act like they are some accomplished adventurers, their stupid attitude is not reflecting their actual in-game power.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Agreed. The companion characters backstories, claimed accomplishments and attitudes do not translate to their level, ability scores and skills.if anything it makes me not take them seriously at all. I almost wish there was 4th wall breaking option to tell them "relax your level 1 like everyone else here, so stop acting like your a level 20 character who saved the realm countless times and are doing me a favour by gracing me with your presence"

F
stranger
stranger
F
I was under the impression that the tadpoles wrecked their abilities. Or they had RP reasons to be sucking. Lae'el is just a straight up simpleton and charlatan afraid to be a lone and without guidance. She's a classic little sibling rude, spoilt, relies too much on her older siblings or "kin" and is also a nationalist grunt. Shadowheart failed her goddess and was punished for it all AD&D Style. Gale has an orb inside him that eats magic. No wonder he can't use his full powers he's lucky he can even cast. Wyll patron got kidnapped which weakened his pact. astarion is just a malnourished vampire spawn who had to take three levels in rogue to hide his powers that he doesn't understand anymore because the tadpole changed them. There's no saying you weren't accomplished before the tadpole.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Kou The Mad
They gave us all the Evil/Neutral Heroes now to test out how people respond to them to fine-tune them before they throw us the Good Party Members.

Source, please.

Z.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I believe Larian's intent was for us the test evil playthroughs more on EA.

Originally Posted by Sword for Hire
Agreed. The companion characters backstories, claimed accomplishments and attitudes do not translate to their level, ability scores and skills.if anything it makes me not take them seriously at all. I almost wish there was 4th wall breaking option to tell them "relax your level 1 like everyone else here, so stop acting like your a level 20 character who saved the realm countless times and are doing me a favour by gracing me with your presence"

Exactly, Gale's backstory is specially out of place.

Prodigy wizard, Chosen of Mystra, Usurper of the of Weave.

Human lvl 1.

Necromancy is just recycling...
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Zress
There's a massive difference between evil, and jerk. Evil characters don't have to be snarky moustache twirling villains. They are people too, they can have friends, and laugh, and have fun. Crazy I know. Adding conflicting personality traits to characters is what makes them feel more real and relatable.

Most of the companions act like they are not 1st level characters. They most likely accomplished more in their adventuring career hanging with the PC than ever before. Laezel is acting like killing a camp full of goblins is just another day at work. Nothing special. She most likely haven't done anything close to it in her life, and still every time I approach her I get this "SPEAK! QUICKLY!" like I am working for her or something. The same goes for the rest, they all act like they are some accomplished adventurers, their stupid attitude is not reflecting their actual in-game power.

Lae'zel is a proper level 1, she's still seen as a child per other Githyanki. She's just full of herself and think she is better than every other races as all Githyanki do.

Astarion wasn't a playable class before the intro events, just a socialite that brought diner to his master the last 200 years. The tadpole physically affected his condition.

Wyll is probably lying about his feats, considering the goblins think he is a joke and aren't scared of him.

Gale pissed off a god who used level drain on his ass.

As for Shadowheart,
she gets periodically mind-wiped

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by azarhal

Lae'zel is a proper level 1, she's still seen as a child per other Githyanki. She's just full of herself and think she is better than every other races as all Githyanki do.

Astarion wasn't a playable class before the intro events, just a socialite that brought diner to his master the last 200 years. The tadpole physically affected his condition.

Wyll is probably lying about his feats, considering the goblins think he is a joke and aren't scared of him.

Gale pissed off a god who used level drain on his ass.

As for Shadowheart,
she gets periodically mind-wiped

Why can't I ever resist the temptation of spoilers T.T

old hand
old hand

There may be a massive difference between the two, but they aren't mutually exclusive either. I'm frankly liking that the companions aren't automatically Player-centric. I appreciate how they react, each to their own beliefs instead of attaching to the PC and doing whatever with no objection. As far as banter goes, I've had some that wasn't just running each other down, with Shadowheart and Lae'zal in the party. Someone mentioned Alistair and Morrigan above, and I'd have loved to read the comments about that pair by some of the people posting here. I absolutely despised Alistair as a person, but loved him as a character, because he could generate that level of animosity from me. Tip of the hat to David Gaider on that one.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
I'm really liking the New companions so Far, I still haven't taken Wyll along, but all others have been really cool to bring along

Link Copied to Clipboard