Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
First things first, very specific feedback about my current playthrough and trying to get Gale's romance scene, which might be a symptom of EA bugs:

I cannot for the life of me get the conversation with Gale about him teaching me how to influence the weave. I've tried across 2 separate playthroughs and have still failed. I've been resting very avidly, he's died and come back, I've fed him several artifacts and I have had exceptional approval with him for ages now. I've tried to talk to him at every possible turn and I still can't manage to trigger it. I'm not sure if it isn't triggering properly with my gender/race/class (Half-Drow Male Cleric) or if there is some other thing I'm missing. I've tried what worked for others and it's failed as well. No one can come up with a consistent way to trigger it, because as far as I know, there isnt one!

I feel like if I have exceptional support with him from nearly the beginning (I'm a very nice person okay) and continuously support his motives and condition, I should not have to work so hard to get his first romance scene. It's incredibly frustrating, especially because if you don't get it, you're locked out of his camp romance scene after the celebration!

For companions as a whole, this issue is the same. I've had issues getting the right convos with Wyll and others, missing some I should have gotten completely. While I like and recognize that some scenes should be contingent on a certain event, (i.e you cant talk about the thing until it happens) its very difficult to see many of the scenes at all with the current system. I feel like if I have fulfilled the condition for the scene (ex. Saved person A) and have high approval, the scene should not be as difficult to get. Right now it feels like a crapshoot if it'll trigger or not, and some of the time it's even as bad as "you had to trigger this RIGHT after it happened" or "you have to get this before his approval goes above high" or else you miss it entirely. It also makes you feel the need to spam long rests at camp CONSTANTLY in hopes of getting anything, which isn't the best fun gameplay wise. It actually in a roundabout way makes combat less difficult, at least for me, because I know I'm just going to rest right afterwards to try to get a scene and don't need to conserve my spells/resources at all. My first playthrough, where I rested less (I wasnt even aware that a way to get more scenes was resting more) was far more challenging in combat because I felt the pressure to keep going for as long as possible each day, like the plot point of the tadpole kind of encourages you to do.

All in all, this way of triggering scenes feels VERY frustrating to the player, especially when I've spent hours and hours in a single save only to find that I can't trigger the scene/romance I wanted since the beginning. About the only option for me at this point, with about 14 hours in the current playthrough, is to reload saves from around hour... 3? and test or to restart again completely. Again, I'm not sure if this is all bugging issues or if it's a system issue, but I really hope it gets fixed soon.

TLDR: If I have high approval with a companion and am playing through their content/supporting their motives, scenes should not be as hard to trigger! (although it may be just bugged)

apprentice
apprentice
Did i see this same post on reddit or am i dreaming lol?

More to the point, the only legit advice i can give is 'rest after every battle'. It is the only way to unlock all scenes, mind you even then some convos might not trigger right away. With Wyll i had to rest like 3-4 times before his after-Spike dialogue showed up. And that's just one example.

Scenes being hard to trigger or bugged is basically an EA thing, i doubt they're that hard to get by design.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Youre not dreaming lol! That was also me, but I wanted to make sure I posted it to a more official forum, especially because so many people are struggling with it!

Yeah I'm having this exact same issue.

Because I'm a very stubborn person I've spent waaaaay to long on it and might have a solution (which is still not exactly 100% foolproof I guess).
Seems like your approval with him must be just right for that scene to trigger (somewhere in medium-high range) and I might be wrong but you shouldn't progress too far into the main story - for some reason I can't get it on one of my saves where I've already spoken to Kahga and Nettie).

Also I think it's connected with is death quest since I've never really gotten it to trigger without - but the death quest itself has a few ways to bug out on you soooo...

Astarion's stars dialogue is just as whimsical and so is Shadowheart's content.

Al ofl these early scenes also require an ungodly amount of camping - something you'd probably never do so early on

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Azarielle

Because I'm a very stubborn person I've spent waaaaay to long on it and might have a solution (which is still not exactly 100% foolproof I guess).
Seems like your approval with him must be just right for that scene to trigger (somewhere in medium-high range) and I might be wrong but you shouldn't progress too far into the main story - for some reason I can't get it on one of my saves where I've already spoken to Kahga and Nettie).

Yeah i can debunk that, i got the scene after talking to Kahga and Nettie, with Exceptional approval, and rather late in the story (basically right before i decided to kill the goblin leaders).
It is very random.

Had the same issue with Wyll where I spent all my efforts on trying to romance him, talked to him each long rest, and....he turned me down. Was so sad.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Synaryn
Had the same issue with Wyll where I spent all my efforts on trying to romance him, talked to him each long rest, and....he turned me down. Was so sad.

I heard rumors of some people succesfully propositioning him..but i've yet to actually see proof?
I got scenes with him being drunk, talking about his past, about his noble background, about Spike, about Mizora, but nothing that would even hint at romance, unlike Gale, who has quite a lot of romance content, or Astarion who has that stargaze scene and is generally flirty. IDK.

Last edited by Renaire; 18/10/20 03:42 PM.
Originally Posted by Renaire

I heard rumors of some people succesfully propositioning him..but i've yet to actually see proof?
I got scenes with him being drunk, talking about his past, about his noble background, about Spike, about Mizora, but nothing that would even hit at romance, unlike Gale, who has quite a lot of romance content, or Astarion who has that stargaze scene and is generally flirty. IDK.

Man I've done three full playthroughs of this game and still hearing about things I didn't come across. The full game is gonna be bonkers. Never seen any of Gale's romance content, was convinced he was still too in love with Mystra for that.

apprentice
apprentice

Man I've done three full playthroughs of this game and still hearing about things I didn't come across. The full game is gonna be bonkers. Never seen any of Gale's romance content, was convinced he was still too in love with Mystra for that.

Well after the camp scene you have a chance to ask him if he's still in love with her, to which he says smth like 'i'll know when i see her'.. Pretty sure there's a vid with it on youtube too..

Link Copied to Clipboard