Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I am not sure if this is the place for this but, please fix pact of the chain warlock by adding scalability to the familiars. Otherwise it will never be picked. as for my question. I was wondering if the list for improved familiars will be changed so that imp is not by far and large the best option available. The option in table top although front loaded to be useful is only useful for a very limited time because of the zero scalability of it as well as the other two options not only being front loaded as well namely pact of the tome. There is no reason to pick this in the tabletop version as it is completely worthless after lv9. Please Larians Studios fix this mechanic that has kind of been abandoned.

addict
addict
Yes, this is a good place and time still to make these suggestions.

They are adapting the rules and WoC does discuss them also and are revising many such features, so...

veteran
veteran
In the Panel from hell interview Sven already exposed some of the new mechanics for improved familiars in BG3, including ranger familiars it seems. I expect that would also be applied to the Pact of the Chain warlocks, if we have that subclass in the game.

addict
addict
On NWN your familiar grow up with you. My favorite familiar, the pseudo dragon familiar for eg, can deal 20d6 damage with cone of fire 5x per day... https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Pseudodragon_(familiar)

PS : Larian could implemente eldritch glaive for warlocks too.

N
old hand
old hand
N
In DOS2, the invocations scale with you. I guess they will do the same for all spellcasters in BG3 if need be.

Last edited by Nyanko; 10/09/20 07:06 AM.
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
A major point of the Chainlock would be invisible scouting. I have the following preponderances:

1. Would plot triggers magically teleport my party across the world into a flatfooted encounter? (Bad)
2. Can I actually converse through my familiar with the pact invocation? (Awesome flavor sauce!) I can be on the beach sipping Flaming Fire Drake shots, out of harms way smile.
3. Can spells be cast through the familiar as intended? (The possibilities...shhh!)
4. Can I actually communicate telepathically through the familiar (Is this even a GOOlock feature?
5. Can my Chainlock familiar really explore the map (past the normal familiar distance of control) as intended by 5e?
6. Do Familiars get flight speed as intended?

Having a an extended range invisible scouting pet / ventriloquist prop could be very flavorful and strategic, so depending on how well it is implemented will make it worth it or not.
If we managed level 15 ...then Hold Monster. It's all in the RP and execution.

Last edited by Van'tal; 13/09/20 05:48 PM.
addict
addict
I strongly agree. On Gothic 2 - returning(AB), you if follow the path of necromancy, can have a demoniac pet which starts at lv 0 incapable of killing a molerat on higher difficulties, then after he levels up a lot, he can rival archdemons(and his model changes to one of a archdemon) I like the idea of the imp/quasit/wathever leveling up with you. Hubaxis was my favorite pet in any video game. And on BG, I wanna a succubus familiar, like on AoC, please Larian. Let me have a succubus familiar!!!

Last edited by SorcererVictor; 16/10/20 05:13 AM.
stranger
stranger
Please people stop you getting our hopes too high.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
These are fantastic ideas and a great example of how 5E can actually be improved.

I also wish there was a familiar more suited to a Great Old One Warlock. Anyone got ideas for something tentacled and weird?

Originally Posted by Sechrima
These are fantastic ideas and a great example of how 5E can actually be improved.

I also wish there was a familiar more suited to a Great Old One Warlock. Anyone got ideas for something tentacled and weird?

A Flumph?

journeyman
journeyman
I agree please. The familiars are getting experience and levelling, but it doesn't seem to be changing anything.

old hand
old hand
They should make find familiar heightenable like all the other spells are, and give the summons better stats when summoned with a higher spell slot.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 18/10/20 04:23 PM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
The imp familiar for Pact of the Chain is already quite powerful. In tabletop they can't even attack without your PC giving up their own action so they're already much better in BG3 right now.
Though I think they are bugged in that fly states it's an action but it currently isn't in game so you can actually get your imp familiar to jump after archers and kill/threaten them pretty easily right now.

A familiar that can go invisible at will and scout anywhere and which you can position anywhere you want before a fight is great already it doesn't need to scale.
Adding in other features they should have like casting spells from their location would be the way to go if you really want it to be better.
They aren't meant to be THE defining thing about your Warlock, and if they get too good your Warlock will feel like it has the power of 1.5 player characters and outshine other PCs too much.

addict
addict
If you buff familiars and summons, encounters get hard to ballance. They are supposed to be helpers and utility, not tanks and main damage dealers.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Zarangek
Please people stop you getting our hopes too high.

I think now is the time to suggest awesome ideas and adds so maybe if Larian was considering them, they could now boost them.

F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by Liquidsen
I am not sure if this is the place for this but, please fix pact of the chain warlock by adding scalability to the familiars. Otherwise it will never be picked. as for my question. I was wondering if the list for improved familiars will be changed so that imp is not by far and large the best option available. The option in table top although front loaded to be useful is only useful for a very limited time because of the zero scalability of it as well as the other two options not only being front loaded as well namely pact of the tome. There is no reason to pick this in the tabletop version as it is completely worthless after lv9. Please Larians Studios fix this mechanic that has kind of been abandoned.

As per 5e rules, pact of the chain familiars do NOT scale. Therefore it is working as intended, and does need "fixing".

Maybe BG3 would be better if warlock familiars did scale, but let us be clear here: you are requesting a further deviation from Dungeons & Dragons 5e rules, not a fix.

Last edited by FrostyFardragon; 20/10/20 07:34 AM.
P
P
Yeah having an invisible imp at your beck and call doesn't need any scaling in tabletop, because there are infinite out-of-combat possibilities. It's not really meant for familiars, even the fancy pact of the chain ones, to be combat companions except maybe at early levels -- and in a pinch.

Originally Posted by FrostyFardragon
Originally Posted by Liquidsen

As per 5e rules, pact of the chain familiars do NOT scale. Therefore it is working as intended, and does need "fixing".

Maybe BG3 would be better if warlock familiars did scale, but let us be clear here: you are requesting a further deviation from Dungeons & Dragons 5e rules, not a fix.

The deviation would be the fix though. The feature, and the beastmaster ranger in 5E, are simply awful in their implementation and scaling. There's a reason the 5E ranger is soundly trashed repeatedly in player satisfaction surveys.

P
P
The ranger is different, because a) it's meant to be a combat mechanic and b) it's so stingy with the actions needed that it breaks immersion for many players. ("Wait, so if I had a trained dog, it could just do a full attack, but since it's my companion, I have to use my actions?") The latter is pretty clearly an experiment with holding over some 4E ideas, and... yeah, bad.

But familiars have so many other uses! The imp alone can turn invisible; turn into a rat, raven or spider; see in magical darkness to 120' (twice as far as an elf or dwarf's darkvision), and has magic resistance. Or sprite familiars have heartsight -- they can tell someone's alignment and emotional state with a touch. All of that is awesome, and at least some of it could be adopted to BG3.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by SorcererVictor
I strongly agree. On Gothic 2 - returning(AB), you if follow the path of necromancy, can have a demoniac pet which starts at lv 0 incapable of killing a molerat on higher difficulties, then after he levels up a lot, he can rival archdemons(and his model changes to one of a archdemon) I like the idea of the imp/quasit/wathever leveling up with you. Hubaxis was my favorite pet in any video game. And on BG, I wanna a succubus familiar, like on AoC, please Larian. Let me have a succubus familiar!!!

I want a succubus familiar too...

Who wouldn't want a succubus? lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard