Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
He just seems to be an arrogant blowhard; the other characters are at least interesting but all this guy is a fake a hero; is there anything redeemable about him?

Oh most definitely. I was going to force myself to take him along this playthrough just to see if he develops beyond the annoyance he is at first greeting, but he randomly aggroed on first meeting and I killed him. This playthrough won't be graced by the "Blade of the Frontiers" thank god.

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost
He just seems to be an arrogant blowhard; the other characters are at least interesting but all this guy is a fake a hero; is there anything redeemable about him?

Anomen was like that too, at first.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
veteran
veteran
Wyll's great -- very interesting portrait of someone whose lust for revenge and vanity is taking him down a dark path. I'm hoping he has a critical moment where he will either fall into evil or redeem himself. And, of course, that decision will really be up to the MC and the advice they give.

Gale is my Anomen. Well written but so annoying.

Last edited by KillerRabbit; 18/10/20 06:36 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Hachina

While I don't find Wyll to be bad with what we have available in the game, I wouldn't consider him similar to Anomen. Anomen is arrogant and condescending yes but he is still trying to understand the people around him and do good in the world. Wyll is going down a much more questionable path and has much more questionable motivations. It's unfair to boil either of them down to "they are irritating because they are prideful".

Last edited by Argonaut; 18/10/20 06:48 PM.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
journeyman
journeyman
Not me. I played near the end of chapter 1 as a warlock. Wyll didn't make it into the group because I didn't see how 2 mage build would work for a party of 4. I Would have possibly picked him into the party over Astarion, if he were rogue, since the latter just doesn't come off as very dependable sort and I prefer the company of seasoned perverts you don't have to introduce novel good concepts like polite introductions or consent to. I don't find Astarion intolerable either, though. I only had a few camp interactions with Wyll after he joined up and he didn't strike to me as particularly "fake". People seem to complain he's juvenile and thinks too highly of himself, but he didn't seem any more deluded or otherwise annoying than the rest of the party members.

If he's very similar to Anomen though, I'm possibly going to keep restricting him to campsite heroics and pick Gale over him to fill the mage role.

Last edited by IdPreferNotTo; 18/10/20 07:20 PM.

The promise of being led to death is reason enough to follow.
old hand
old hand
Well I never picked Anomen again after using him for the first time because he was the single most annoying NPC in BG2.

How sorry I felt for anyone playing a female character that he was their romanceable option lol.

vel Offline
Wyll's story gets more interesting. He's not as one dimensional as you're claiming.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I like him. I mean, he is full of himself but he is the first to think he is actually nothing special, even if he tries to mask it under the bravado. I think he suffers from the impostor syndrome quite a lot.
Beside this, at least he is one of the few people treating you like a decent person. It's not level, just a dumbass I suspect will develop quite nicely during the course of the game.

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted by Argonaut

While I don't find Wyll to be bad with what we have available in the game, I wouldn't consider him similar to Anomen. Anomen is arrogant and condescending yes but he is still trying to understand the people around him and do good in the world. Wyll is going down a much more questionable path and has much more questionable motivations. It's unfair to boil either of them down to "they are irritating because they are prideful".

And they're both lying in a way. Both play the hero , even though Anomen never was one, and Will has much darker secret. But yeah, they are different characters, with different motivations of course. I didn't mean to say they were the same.

Last edited by Hachina; 18/10/20 09:18 PM.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
journeyman
journeyman
I tried to play his story but honestly I don't pick him much simply because I always play a warlock.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Argonaut

And they're both lying in a way. Both play the hero , even though Anomen never was one, and Will has much darker secret. But yeah, they are different characters, with different motivations of course. I didn't mean to say they were the same.

Anomen? Playing the hero? When you encounter Anomen for the first time he is in a den of scum and villainy and actively trying to aid the situation while recognizing that he cannot do so on his own. He is not taking advantage of his status as a noble or his family name, wealth and influence but standing present, boots to the floor at ground zero. Anomen is trying to be a hero in a very real and literal sense and working past his flaws. I understand your point but these characters are just not similar past "arrogant and condescending".

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
While Anomen was never my favorite romance and I tended to just use mods, I did like his character arc and how he was written. He went from a douchebag to a fairly decent human being (albeit still realtively prideful), and he IS a very good cleric, especially if you sort out his quest in a good way. For my canon ToB parties I swapped him and Viconia and they both kicked ass.

I haven't gotten far with Wyll, but it would be interesting to see where he goes. He did strike me as a more of a "fake" hero type, but lets see. I never hate on party members from the start, just tend to try and figure out where they are coming from, whats their secret, and which path are they going.

Last edited by Arideya; 18/10/20 11:06 PM.

"There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed." - Tamoko
H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
@Argonaut

When you start with Anomen, he constantly boast about his past deeds and how he did insane stuff killing giant and whats not. Then he later reveals that this was all lies. If this is not playing the hero, what is?
And I urge you to read the thread again. The OP was complaining about Will being arrogant, and I said ''Anomen'' was the same, implying he was arrogant as well. You agreed on that matter with me.

Last edited by Hachina; 18/10/20 11:11 PM.

enthusiast
enthusiast
@Hachina
It would be playing the hero if he wasn't actively being heroic and doing heroic things. He even explains why he lies and it's not just because of braggadocio.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S

Eh, I think it depends on where you are at in life. I like that he’s a fake hero, he’s playing the shtick. It implies a little depth of character. I haven’t seen that from any of the other characters.

But to each their own. No reason you have to take him. I don’t take a few characters with me.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
He reminds me of Liam from Andromeda, probably due to the VA (I think it's the same guy, anyway). I kinda liked Liam but I'm finding it harder to warm to Wyll; perhaps that's more due to him being a bit useless, though.

J'aime le fromage.
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by vometia
He reminds me of Liam from Andromeda, probably due to the VA (I think it's the same guy, anyway). I kinda liked Liam but I'm finding it harder to warm to Wyll; perhaps that's more due to him being a bit useless, though.

lol yeah it was a hard shift to see him go from seeming to wreck goblins in his introduction to having him in my party and having to be carried a little.

I don't think Wyll is that bad, but I dislike Shadowheart most.

I don't know how to complete his story in chapter 1 properly yet, the burning town is pretty buggy with saving people. I was fine with Wyll's joining quest, because it lines up with saving Halsin smile.

I like him better than Shadowheart though.

It's interesting how different perspectives can be. His boasting didn't bother me at all, when I met him he was trying to help the kids defend themselves and boost their morale. Clearly a solid good guy, which after Lae, Shadowheart and Asterian was refreshing. And yeah, a lot more of his story has been revealed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard