Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
At least for the most powerful spells which require items beyond 1gp. I mean, I personally wouldn't really mind carrying a pouch for Components, as a Wizard, for immersion.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Any word on this?

journeyman
journeyman
I get it for the pnp-- but for a video game, I would say no thanks to this request

apprentice
apprentice
Please don't. I was always thankful that my DM never had us do anything of that, and I can hardly express to you how grating and dissatisfying it would be to micromanage and create components for each spell that I might or might not use, it would well and truly drive me nuts.

I cannot change this name anymore, please send help.
The avatar is created by an AI called midjourney, and it is done so by essentially typing text, pretty dope, huh?
veteran
veteran
I ask myself, "Is this important enough that the developers should spend some time and resources putting into the game?" and I reply to myself "Probably not." Even the PnP version says to assume that all components without a monetary cost are contained within.

At best, only components which have a monetary cost and are consumed.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ben Thunder
Please don't. I was always thankful that my DM never had us do anything of that, and I can hardly express to you how grating and dissatisfying it would be to micromanage and create components for each spell that I might or might not use, it would well and truly drive me nuts.

I was going to make this point but you said it better.

Although, it would make a really good mod/addon for those interested.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
At least for the most powerful spells which require items beyond 1gp. I mean, I personally wouldn't really mind carrying a pouch for Components, as a Wizard, for immersion.

I would agree with a pouch of components that you can upgrade for a standard fee to cover all spells. Maybe level 1-3 are pro bono but after that it's 100gp per spell level. Anything more than that is the kind of busywork that might make for immersion in tabletop but is redundant for a videogame. I do think the arcane focus should be implemented in its entirety thought yes.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
Please no. There's enough pointless vendor trash to sort through without managing balls of sulfur and bat poop. Its a waste of time in P&P, its a waste of design time here.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by Bossk_Hogg
Please no. There's enough pointless vendor trash to sort through without managing balls of sulfur and bat poop. Its a waste of time in P&P, its a waste of design time here.

on the other hand managing balls of sulphur and bat poop would fit right in line with previous larian games...

Last edited by dza101; 18/10/20 11:44 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Sorry but no I do not want to spell components at all and don't want to micromanage it either. This is a video game where components should not be required at all and way to much trash that you pick up. I can see it in PnP which is where it belongs but not in a video game

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Agreed, mostly. Spell components as it was handled in BG is as far as I would take it. Just a stackable item "Level X Spell Components" that some spells would use. Or specific spells that need a specific high value resource, like Resurrection. Really don't want to micro-manage all the tiny things.

addict
addict
Please no

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Argonaut
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem

I would agree with a pouch of components that you can upgrade for a standard fee to cover all spells. Maybe level 1-3 are pro bono but after that it's 100gp per spell level. Anything more than that is the kind of busywork that might make for immersion in tabletop but is redundant for a videogame. I do think the arcane focus should be implemented in its entirety thought yes.

This is probably the best compromise

M
M
I would like to see focuses and at least the components with x Gold cost which are consumed to be included and to have scroll of revivify removed.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Getting rid of tracking spell components in PnP games was one of the best decisions my current and previous DMs made. "You can't cast that spell because you have run out of mouse droppings...". Dreadful system.

What next? "Your fighter is doing less damage because he didn't sharpen his sword."

They got rid of tracking arrows. Let's not go back to those days.

enthusiast
enthusiast
If spells like Grater Restoration would be free to cast - that is surely will be very game breaking.

S
addict
addict
S
I'd like spell components added only for higher level spells, for balancing reasons.

For super high-level universe-changing spells that are treated more like a ritual anyway, and would have their own dialogue and mechanic in a C-RPG anyway (things like Wish in BG2), sure, why not.
But please not by default for all spells.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Getting rid of tracking spell components in PnP games was one of the best decisions my current and previous DMs made. "You can't cast that spell because you have run out of mouse droppings...". Dreadful system.

What next? "Your fighter is doing less damage because he didn't sharpen his sword."

They got rid of tracking arrows. Let's not go back to those days.

Please don't make such uninformed statements. Component tracking was never removed by the system and people ignoring its importance is another reason that contributes to the "spellcasters are OP" memery up there with making spells freely and readily available, removing spell scribe failure chance, ignoring Verbal and Somatic component restrictions etc. These are not conducive to a videogame experience because you are single player most of the time so you cannot banter or get into interesting hijinks while doing busywork like this during downtime that is very beneficial to the PnP experience. Arrow tracking is not even in the same ballpark.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Would be fair only if...

Archers need to manage their arrows/quivers

Swords can get rusty and need sharpening after some chopping, etc.

Also add obligation to eat and drink for characters...

I don't know... I think it is both interesting but not gamer friendly...

Make it an option for hardcore maybe?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard