Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
stranger
stranger
The rng, especially when attacking with advantage, definitely seems screwy to me. I can't count how many times I've missed with 88-95% to hit, when attacking from advantage. And not just once, but repeatedly in almost every combat. Also, whenever the dice say I have a 50% or less to hit, I just assume I'm going to miss. Because that's what happens just about every single time.

I've also noticed FAR too many occasions where when attacking from advantage, if I check the die roll for the miss, it will be 3. Not 1-2, not 4-10. 3. 99% of the time, it's a 3. To me, that seems like something's broken. Not only does it mean that rolling 2d20 my highest number was a 3, but it's CONSISTENTLY 3.

Last edited by WumpusRat; 20/10/20 01:58 PM.
old hand
old hand
I just remembered again in Dungeons and Dragons Online ...

'Miss miss miss miss block block dodge dodge blurry blurry incorporeal incorporeal save save save save' ...

Were all lovely on my invincible defenses pyjama monk tank smile

Roll a 1? Oh there was stuff for that. No more auto fail on a 1 for every save. Pump up saves with paladin splash. Untouchable little fast blitzkrieg punchy stabby ninja spy halfling that went zoom zoom zoom through everything without taking a scratch.

When a scratch was taken healing dragonmark, a few LOHs and unlimited heal scrolls from UMD. But then they added reaper difficulty and everything one shotted me frown

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 20/10/20 02:29 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by WumpusRat
The rng, especially when attacking with advantage, definitely seems screwy to me. I can't count how many times I've missed with 88-95% to hit, when attacking from advantage. And not just once, but repeatedly in almost every combat. Also, whenever the dice say I have a 50% or less to hit, I just assume I'm going to miss. Because that's what happens just about every single time.

I've also noticed FAR too many occasions where when attacking from advantage, if I check the die roll for the miss, it will be 3. Not 1-2, not 4-10. 3. 99% of the time, it's a 3. To me, that seems like something's broken. Not only does it mean that rolling 2d20 my highest number was a 3, but it's CONSISTENTLY 3.

Beware, all the Wizards with their unresistable surface cantrips will tell you it's just confirmation bias and everything's just fiiiine, you just don't get how dice work!

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Argyle
Yeah, nobody likes the old THAC0 system, but that's all I know. I was just reading off the tables in the old Dungeon Master's Screen, Fighter THAC0 = 20 at level 1, hoping that the basic probabilities would be similar in 5E. But even 55% is nowhere near 95%. I think it is still safe to say that 1st level characters should not hit very often, so if I ever see a 95% chance on my screen feedback in Chapter 1, I would not be inclined to believe it. Once again, the Mists of Leira shroud us with unknowing.

It just depends on what you're fighting, I guess. Fighting some bandits, or goblins that are at a CR of what you're level is, it's not going to be the same as trying to hit an Ancient Red Dragon or something. That said, seeing the actual die rolls might make people slow down on the "but they're just trying to pad their hours played" or what have you. Probably not, because they still won't understand probability any better, but who knows, it could help.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Eddiar
30% I understand.
50% I also understand.
But 75% and over? Really?

And how do you miss with the guy standing right in front of you? Why not just say dodge? That would make me feel a little better.

Have you tried being luckier?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Milani
Yeah but dude.. it happens a lot. Like.. a lot a lot. An overwhelming amount of times that makes it not normal and something is off. I've also noticed that some enemies get to just run by a melee-engaged party member with no opportunity attack, despite not using disengage. Like, it just doesn't trigger half the time. And the AI still overwhelmingly targets and optimizes a strat against low AC/critical party members, cleric and rogue being the most common. My first playthrough I had one hell of a time keeping Astarion and Shadowheart alive, they would just get ganged up on immediately no matter how I placed them or tried to funnel the flow of enemy approach.

That's pretty solid AI then. In PvP, in a setting like this, it's "Cloth, Leather, Chain and Plate" for kill order. Which is hilarious, since "KILL THE (edited for television) HEALER" is quite often screamed in voice and party chat. It would seem they're behaving the way they should.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
D&D's combat system has had this issue from the beginning. Everything is lumped together to being a single attack roll against a single defence number. There have been slight variants (50% miss chance and so on), but the main game was 'roll to hit AC X, no you miss. Next'. The GM might give you more information, such as the fact that the creature is flitting about the place or has a very tough hide, but you are still locked into one roll against one target number.

Other games, including the system I use most in tabletop, break the combat down. You roll to hit, the opponent has the opportunity to dodge/parry or block, the blow hits, and armour reduces the damage you inflict. Slightly slower and an extra dice roll, but it allows you to see where a failed attack broke down. You might need to improve your attack skill, the opponent might be too good in its defences for you to beat, or the armour might be too strong to do meaningful damage.

It also encourages smaller combats! The D&D system is better for facing multiple opponents, but I find it strangely unsatisfying when facing important foes. Aside from slowly whittling down the HP, there is little actual interaction.

I'll also mention that the system uses 3d6, so the probability of rolling median numbers is greatly increased.

Last edited by Sadurian; 20/10/20 03:56 PM.
old hand
old hand
It's going to be really hard to try and incorporate everyone's house rules to mitigate combat situations though.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
I have an idea.

Why don't we take the CRPG concept but play it out using bits of paper and other people. We could make physical representations of the dice, and then all the rules we don't like could be ignored, and those we think should be included could be used without affecting anyone else's game.

It's radical, I know.

All they need to do is change the word *Miss* to *Swish*.. that way it's just a sound effect and not an accusation of failure. :p

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
I read a book about a woman getting into playing D&D,* and her contribution to the group was making her Magic Missiles go 'pew pew pew'.

Needless to say, all Magic Missiles now make that noise in my head when I use the spell.

* Confessions of a Sorceress, if you're interested. It's... okay if you want to see things through different eyes.

Last edited by Sadurian; 20/10/20 04:43 PM.
addict
addict
Ha, that reminds me of Don Martin's cartoon of Excalibur in Mad Magazine:

swish!
fwooop!
clarnng!
schlupff!

"Rats, I fwooped twice in a row!"

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Nice. Now I want different sound effects for different degrees of failure.

miss by 1-3: Clang!! (or Thud!! as appropriate to the surface),
miss by 4-6: Bttwoing! as it is deflected,
miss by 7-9: Whooosh!
miss by 10+: all the other characters break off fighting for a turn to laugh at you.

Last edited by Sadurian; 20/10/20 05:03 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Argyle
How does a 1st or 2nd level character ever get a 95% hit chance in the first place?

His overall attack bonus is 2 smaller than the opposition's armor class, e.g. he needs to roll a 2 to hit. Which witout advantage/disadvantage is a 95% chance.

An example of this would be right from the first (tutorial) fight. Lae'zel at the start has an overall attack bonus of +5 on her melee, the opponents an armor class of 7. Converted to THAC0, with a level 1 THAC0 of 20 it would be the same as hitting an opponent with an AC of 18 (I know that'd be terribad, but this is an altogether different edition with a very different to-hit progression, and Larian have nerfed some ACs -- perhaps in an attempt to make the chances to hit actually higher than in the tabletop, e.g. less complaining..).

https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-3-will-combine-the-best-of-divinity-and-dandd-5th-edition/

"You miss a lot in D&D—if the dice are bad, you miss," he says. "That doesn't work well in a videogame. If I do that, you're going to review it and say it's shit. Our approach has been implementing it as pure as we can, and then just seeing what works and what doesn't. Stuff that doesn't work, we start adapting until it does."

Well, that doesn't seem to have worked. laugh

Originally Posted by WumpusRat

Your copy seems to be broken. laugh On a serious note, go on, write it all down, you're going to be surprised.

Last edited by Sven_; 20/10/20 05:43 PM.
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Nice. Now I want different sound effects for different degrees of failure.

miss by 1-3: Clang!! (or Thud!! as appropriate to the surface),
miss by 4-6: Bttwoing! as it is deflected,
miss by 7-9: Whooosh!
miss by 10+: all the other characters break off fighting for a turn to laugh at you.

this a very nice idea though!

enthusiast
enthusiast
So, are the dice this obviously rigged against the player then?

Last ~50 player attack rolls (no advantage / disadvantage)

2 20 9 4 18 10 2 11 16 7 20 17 18 18 5 16 4 17 14 19 2 3 16 14 3 10 12 17 19 17 17 16 17 9 2 12 9 3 14 18 12 8 5 5 6 14 13 14 1 20

AVERAGE: 11.5

Last ~50 AI attack rolls (no advantage / disadvantage)

7 8 15 11 5 4 11 19 12 1 4 12 17 10 17 11 10 2 16 20 17 16 10 17 10 7 9 9 15 15 10 7 17 18 20 10 6 2 3 9 20 14 6 9 18 12

AVERAGE: 11.26

Last edited by Sven_; 20/10/20 06:30 PM.
old hand
old hand
I've had 95% hit chance a lot with a Ranger since level 1.

Really enjoying the class a lot, and I much prefer a ranger trapper to a rogue.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 20/10/20 06:30 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
you don't know what EA means well done you're useless

enthusiast
enthusiast
As I'm really fan of stats, I made another one. This time I started a new game, and made a really shitty elven fighter (Strength 8).

Her overall attack bonus thus: +2 proficiency, -1 from Strength = +1
Enemy AC: 7
To hit: Need to roll a 6 thus, which is a 75% chance on each roll.

All 50 rolls total melee attacks with no dis/advantage.
Note: The game curiously does not display successful attack rolls that deal no damage, that's where the question marks come from (the opposition has damage resistance, therefore it is possible to deal no damage not merely when rolling a 1 (-1 Strenght, but also a 2 on the damage roll).

1 critical miss
? hit
16 hit
16 hit
5 miss
8 hit
3 miss
? hit
15 hit
5 miss
10 hit
? hit
? hit
? hit
8 hit
20 critical hit
20 critical hit
1 critical miss
18 hit
14 hit
6 hit
2 miss
3 miss
----------------------
11 hit
? hit
8 hit
16 hit
14 hit 1 ) WHAT PEOPLE DON'T TEND TO REMEMBER
15 hit
10 hit
10 hit
12 hit
19 hit
8 hit
----------------------
2 miss
8 hit
3 miss 2) WHAT PEOPLE TEND TO REMEMBER
5 miss
3 miss
----------------------
? hit
6 hit
16 hit
14 hit
9 hit 3) SEE 1)
14 hit
8 hit
9 hit
12 hit
16 hit
--------------------
3 miss
------------------------------

TOTAL ROLLS: 50
TOTAL HITS: 38 (76%)

Last edited by Sven_; 20/10/20 09:53 PM.
old hand
old hand
So theres nothing wrong with the game, just the people playing it.

Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard