Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#705410 18/10/20 10:12 PM
S
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
To make this place less of an echo chamber, I think putting a 250 word cap on new threads and a drop down to select hashtags would be helpful. Include the top couple of recurring complaints in there, so that we can see them tagged and ignore them. IE ‘discrepancy between 5E and game’ ‘combat too hard/easy’ ‘too similar/dissimilar to previous titles’ or whatever nonsense.

old hand
old hand
Theres a difference between echo chamber and redundancy / duplication, which are you trying to resolve?

Last edited by Orbax; 18/10/20 10:17 PM.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
veteran
veteran
Mh? An echo chamber about what?
As far as I can see people are arguing back and forth on basically any of the recurring topics being discussed here.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Stray952
To make this place less of an echo chamber, I think putting a 250 word cap on new threads and a drop down to select hashtags would be helpful. Include the top couple of recurring complaints in there, so that we can see them tagged and ignore them. IE ‘discrepancy between 5E and game’ ‘combat too hard/easy’ ‘too similar/dissimilar to previous titles’ or whatever nonsense.

So you want people to not discuss anything you don't agree with? What if I don't want you to discuss anything I don't agree with?

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
old hand
old hand
Im pretty sure they just used a phrase incorrectly.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
250 word cap on new threads and a drop down to select hashtags would be helpful.

This isn't Twitter.

S
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
I just think a short-form, categorized format would make suggestions more digestible and we could come to some level of consensus or points of commonality.

The recurring theme is rage threads over stuff that doesn’t matter/is subjective, and 5 page dump of one persons experience with the game. Neither is a very good format for actual exchange of ideas.

I personally, have no interest in seeing any thread that is about ‘the soul of the game.’ I assume a lot of the mature crowd is in the same boat. If I could just see those tags on a thread I can ignore them and look for the ideas I’m interested in.

Just prompting people to put those tags in may also clue them into the idea that people are already discussing this.

250 words is half a standard page, single spaced. It’s not overly short format. This would also force people with the giant 5 page play through summaries to break them into focused topics. There’s no limit in # of threads, you can post the same amount of info.

Last edited by Stray952; 18/10/20 10:32 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I would certainly like longer discussion titles and more use of the topic/particulars within the titles.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Newtinmpls
I would certainly like longer discussion titles and more use of the topic/particulars within the titles.

I'll look into the titles: I'm not sure it's configurable, but they are curiously short considering the database schema allows up to 255 characters. No hashtags though please, Twitter is very ugly and our forum already needs a bit of a facelift!

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I just think a short-form, categorized format would make suggestions more digestible and we could come to some level of consensus or points of commonality.

So you want an echo chamber that agrees with you?

The recurring theme is rage threads over stuff that doesn’t matter/is subjective, and 5 page dump of one persons experience with the game. Neither is a very good format for actual exchange of ideas.

And what if I think the stuff you want to talk about doesn't matter/is subjective? Why is their anecdotal evidence inferior to yours based on it's length? Why are they not good formats for the exchange of ideas? I would assume that greater detail and thorough explanation would facilitate more discussion on a wider range of subject with less room for misunderstandings.

I personally, have no interest in seeing any thread that is about ‘the soul of the game.’ I assume a lot of the mature crowd is in the same boat. If I could just see those tags on a thread I can ignore them and look for the ideas I’m interested in.

I am 30 years old and a father of two. Am I not part of this mature crowd of yours? I am not in the same boat and do not understand why you consider my voice to be lesser than yours, let alone why you consider me to be worth less than you.

Just prompting people to put those tags in may also clue them into the idea that people are already discussing this.

250 words is half a standard page, single spaced. It’s not overly short format. This would also force people with the giant 5 page play through summaries to break them into focused topics. There’s no limit in # of threads, you can post the same amount of info.

Twitter hashtags exist on twitter. Why not go discuss it there using those hashtrags and that system? I also do not consider 250 words to be enough and believe it will lead to many people posting multiple times successively to convey their message thereby bloating every thread to a much more severe degree as well as taxing the site itself. Why do you think your personal preference supersedes others?

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by Newtinmpls

I'll look into the titles: I'm not sure it's configurable, but they are curiously short considering the database schema allows up to 255 characters. No hashtags though please, Twitter is very ugly and our forum already needs a bit of a facelift!

I think they are looking for clean metadata with limited free text capture so its easier to search and manage. However, the application at hand can't manage it so it would be superfluous data at the moment.

A poll thread with votes for topics like:

- Combat too slow
- Combat too hard
- Combat is just fine
- Compaions too mean
- Companions too...

Could help so people can see the topics raised and might help guide people to start threads outside of what is covered in the poll thread. Relevant threads get subjects added to the poll.

As a DM, its something I used to do with players for campaign checks about several dozen checkpoints. The advice I give other DMs is to not ask for feedback because players are too in the world, they dont look at it like a set of mechanics they are interacting with. They'll just say "Yeah its good, Im liking it" You ask things like

- Does the world feel welcoming
- Do NPCs have personality
- Does the world feel safe, safe with dangerous part, or just dangerous all the time
- Do you feel you could go do anything you wanted
- Too much combat, too little? Or its fine but theyre too hard or combat is too confusing.
- Do you like the balance between combat and social/rp
- Would you rather be spending more time on quests and exploring or combat.

Stuff like that that helps address the balance issues in how people are spending their time as well as their perception of how the world perceives and treats them. It isn't a lot of things, but theyre good discussion points and there arent TOO many levers for a DM to pull - its the art of what combos make people have fun.

Dont know if you have a poll thread capability laugh

old hand
old hand

The problem is youre now trying to ask someone (Vometia) to manage and maintain a list of identifiers that would adequately allow someone to predict if they cared or not. Thats most likely not feasible.

Im also not sure what the maturity qualifier you put in was about - care to expand further?

Orbax #705493 18/10/20 10:54 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Orbax
Could help so people can see the topics raised and might help guide people to start threads outside of what is covered in the poll thread. Relevant threads get subjects added to the poll.

This is how you invite trouble. There is already a lot of controversy around this game and many people would jump at the opportunity to use something like this to stir the pot. It is something that has happened in other places before.

Last edited by vometia; 18/10/20 11:05 PM. Reason: removed incorrect attribution

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H

Welcome to humanity. However, we made progress since the dark ages of obscurantism and censorship. I wouldn't want to go there again.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by vometia
I'll look into the titles: I'm not sure it's configurable

Turns out it is, but I will need to confer before making any changes.

J'aime le fromage.
Orbax #705510 18/10/20 11:07 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Dont know if you have a poll thread capability laugh

We do, it just isn't enabled. I did raise the issue about a week ago but didn't get a definite response; I guess because people are busy with other stuff but I shall mention it again.

J'aime le fromage.
S
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
Moved this to below the trolls confusing organization with censorship for some reason. To the person asking about the maturity issue, I’d direct you to exactly that.

I didn’t mean literal Twitter hashtags, sorry for misspeaking. I just meant some kind of categorical tag. You could have multiple. No one has to upkeep them, whatever that would mean.

When dealing with incident reports at work we have a section for tags to make them searchable in a semi-standard way. They start with a hash to separate them from the word in text.

Even just having tags for “combat,” “characters” or “dialogue” would allow people to identify threads they’re interested in, and reduce reposts.

I guess maybe this is something we should consider throwing in at the end of our posts as a community.

old hand
old hand
Moved this to below the trolls confusing organization with censorship for some reason. To the person asking about the maturity issue, I’d direct you to exactly that.

I didn’t mean literal Twitter hashtags, sorry for misspeaking. I just meant some kind of categorical tag. You could have multiple. No one has to upkeep them, whatever that would mean.

When dealing with incident reports at work we have a section for tags to make them searchable in a semi-standard way. They start with a hash to separate them from the word in text.

Even just having tags for “combat,” “characters” or “dialogue” would allow people to identify threads they’re interested in, and reduce reposts.

I guess maybe this is something we should consider throwing in at the end of our posts as a community.

The main reason I was saying that the list needed to be managed was because I am a solutions architect specializing in integrations, data management, and business process architecture as well as being a principal developer and platform manager for corporate applications. When you are creating repositories for metadata, if they dont have a canonical usage and enforcement they are meaningless. If I tag something as COMBAT because I didn't like the fact that I talked to a druid and they got mad at me and attacked me, its now a useless tag. We have no common definition and even if we did, no way to enforce it. Its why you have I.T. Help Desk people categorize tickets, the user is typically incorrect because they don't have a systematic way of categorizing symptom and cause diagnosis - and they have no desire to, as it isn't their job or concern. The thing you are trying to do would need to be in a highly controlled cultural and application environment and forums will never be able to do that.

Orbax #705610 19/10/20 12:12 AM
S
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S

The main reason I was saying that the list needed to be managed was because I am a solutions architect specializing in integrations, data management, and business process architecture as well as being a principal developer and platform manager for corporate applications. When you are creating repositories for metadata, if they dont have a canonical usage and enforcement they are meaningless. If I tag something as COMBAT because I didn't like the fact that I talked to a druid and they got mad at me and attacked me, its now a useless tag. We have no common definition and even if we did, no way to enforce it. Its why you have I.T. Help Desk people categorize tickets, the user is typically incorrect because they don't have a systematic way of categorizing symptom and cause diagnosis - and they have no desire to, as it isn't their job or concern. The thing you are trying to do would need to be in a highly controlled cultural and application environment and forums will never be able to do that.

I’m not sure that level of complexity applies to a video game feedback forum.

Anyway, I’m off. Going to do a second play through as a Drow Ranger to see if it drastically changes the combat. If anyone has any pointers specific to Drow please let me know. I also don’t know all that muc about their lore, if anyone knows of a YouTube video summarizing it.

#Drow, #Ranger, #Combat, #Lore

Last edited by Stray952; 19/10/20 12:14 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

Don't feel uneasy, I am happy for you to call me out by name. I suggest next time you choose how you phrase things more accurately and not describe them as "not mattering" or being detrimental to the discussion and "exchange" of ideas if you do not want to be misinterpreted and come off as condescending and attempting to advocate censorship. Best of luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard