Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Originally Posted by Hachina
Well it is strange that all the character are bisexual. In previous Baldurs gate game, all the character leaned toward one or the other gender , not both. I v already said this, but making everyone pansexual, everyone ready to fuck you at the camp party is totally unrealistic and kill a part of their identity. Its makes all the character the same, and make dialogue irrelevant.

Lae'zel : see me as a monster, wants to kill me
Gayle : Likes me
Will : neutral
Shadowhearth : Hate me, tell me to stop talking to her whenever she can.
Astarion : Charming and secretive, still tried to kill me and bite me.

Guess what? They all want to have sex with you at the camp party. Doesn't matter if you're a boy or a girl, doesn't matter if you got along with them or if they disapproved every single reaction beforehand. Everyone is open bar, free to get taken.

I enjoyed the long dialogues with Baldurs gate2 companions, and the fact that you had to give the good answers AND be the good gender AND do their quest right to have a chance to go with them. It made sense. You weren't the same person if you tried to date Viconia or if you wanted to be with Aerith.

Over the course of three playthroughs, I've had every companion except Astarion turn me down at the camp party. Shadowheart especially didn't even want to speak to me after murdering the tieflings and druids, and Wyll straight up left. No idea where you got that idea.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The thing is these characters aren't just unlikeable, the three "unlikeable" characters are outright hated by me (not necessarily a bad thing, mind you), the mind flayer parasites are the only thing keeping me from killing them, Lae'zel is very unkind but at least useful, but then there's Shadowheart who is just rude for little reason and is pretty useless, and Astarion, who
outright freaking kills you if you don't tell him to stop drinking your blood
- that's not to mention that neither of the three seems to approve of general kindness, so far my favourite is Wyll, he's kind, but also has the ruthless side against goblins, or to get information he needs.

I'd say the two "well-done" characters so far are Wyll and Lae'zel, though Wyll being called the "Blade of Frontiers" with those stats is silly, as is Lae'zel being level 1..

Gale is too much of a snowflake, Shadowheart is just too antisocial and rude, and Astarion.. I mean... just no, would've actually killed him if he wasn't so useful in combat.

As for future companions? Well, the potential druid seems kind enough, as does the potential ranger, though I'm interested in more details about the ranger, hopefully not too goody two-shoes considering her situation..

Last edited by GloriousZote; 18/10/20 09:12 PM.
Originally Posted by GloriousZote
Well it is strange that all the character are bisexual. In previous Baldurs gate game, all the character leaned toward one or the other gender , not both. I v already said this, but making everyone pansexual, everyone ready to fuck you at the camp party is totally unrealistic and kill a part of their identity. Its makes all the character the same, and make dialogue irrelevant.

Guess what? They all want to have sex with you at the camp party. Doesn't matter if you're a boy or a girl, doesn't matter if you got along with them or if they disapproved every single reaction beforehand. Everyone is open bar, free to get taken.

I enjoyed the long dialogues with Baldurs gate2 companions, and the fact that you had to give the good answers AND be the good gender AND do their quest right to have a chance to go with them. It made sense. You weren't the same person if you tried to date Viconia or if you wanted to be with Aerith.

Shadowheart shouls also absolutely deny any gith no matter what, considering her view on these "flat-noses"

^ I think race-preferences are just important as gender preferences. I'd love for us to have straight, homo, bi, and asexual companions as well as racially biased ones. Alternatively, a lot of flexibility among many of them but a higher bar if you fall outside of the companion's preferences.

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted by Synaryn

Over the course of three playthroughs, I've had every companion except Astarion turn me down at the camp party. Shadowheart especially didn't even want to speak to me after murdering the tieflings and druids, and Wyll straight up left. No idea where you got that idea.

You're actually right. Fortunatly I had an old save . I talked to astarion first and accepted his offer. Then all other companions expressed their disappointement and jealousy, which made me think they all were fine with it. But if I reload and ask tem out, they refuse . That actually a problem with the dialogue you get once you accept either companion offer, which seems to always be the ''disappointement, jealous'' one. Hopefully this ll be fixed after EA.
Seems that you need to build sorta good relationship with them before bedding them. Still, I believe the first part of my point still hold. When all of the character are pansexual, they are less unique and less realistic IMHO.

Last edited by Hachina; 18/10/20 09:43 PM.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by pgmoro
Astarion os not gay.

I am pretty sure he is bi, he'll bite anyone's neck.

OP, I am not impressed either, I'll probably just ignore the romances.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem
Astarion os not gay.

I am pretty sure he is bi

I'm pretty sure it goes for everyone in the cast.
It seems to be the new standard.
Everyone must be pansexual otherwise someone in the audience will take it as a personal offense and a form of discrimination.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
stranger
stranger

You're actually right. Fortunatly I had an old save . I talked to astarion first and accepted his offer. Then all other companions expressed their disappointement and jealousy, which made me think they all were fine with it. But if I reload and ask tem out, they refuse . That actually a problem with the dialogue you get once you accept either companion offer, which seems to always be the ''disappointement, jealous'' one. Hopefully this ll be fixed after EA.
Seems that you need to build sorta good relationship with them before bedding them. Still, I believe the first part of my point still hold. When all of the character are pansexual, they are less unique and less realistic IMHO.

In my playthrough I only had Lae'zel available as an option and it was exactly like you described, if I talk to them after accepting Lae'zel they all reference me having chosen someone and express jealousy, but if I ask then before accepting Lae'zel, they instead turn me down.

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted by Vile

In my playthrough I only had Lae'zel available as an option and it was exactly like you described, if I talk to them after accepting Lae'zel they all reference me having chosen someone and express jealousy, but if I ask then before accepting Lae'zel, they instead turn me down.

Ah! good to see I'm not the only one. Its weird. There seems to be missing dialogue, atm.

Last edited by Hachina; 18/10/20 10:16 PM.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted by Tuco
Astarion os not gay.

Everyone must be pansexual otherwise someone in the audience will take it as a personal offense and a form of discrimination.

I feel the same way about this. Especially will all the recent drama and cancel culture on theses topics, I can't help but think this is related.

old hand
old hand
Astarion os not gay.

It didnt bother me in the Mass Effect series. I think what made it work was they all had personalities and youd go do stuff with them and have story lines. Ive never had a bae like Tali in any game. Vetra was my bae in Andromeda but Mrs. Normandy is my soulmate. Right now its "Hey, I saw you not letting a snake strangle a kid...wanna bang?"

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Orbax

Well, the good news is everyone here just has a normal conversation with it lol.

Poor trolls, we always turn their posts in normal conversations lol

Originally Posted by Iszaryn
I like Shadowheart she seems to me at least a little submissive to my main character.

I more or less like her as well, but as far as reasons to like her go, this has to be one of the creepiest one.

Then again you're at least being honest and that's probably the problem a lot of people here are having with these "terrible" companions.

I just hope that english is not his native language and he meant to use a different word because it does sound super creepy.

On the topic, I'm pretty satisfied with romance choices personally. At least we have few guys now and not just one Annoymen (just no).
I wonder who my fellow female players find the most interesting for romance? And also did anyone romance Will? I have no idea how to trigger his romance and I have the highest approval.

P
stranger
stranger
P
I really don't see how the characters being 'playersexual' is detracting whatsoever from their character and somehow not making them unique. It's nice having your pick of the pie and not having to settle for the (usually poorly written or unappealing) shoehorned gay romance like it was in the past.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S

It didnt bother me in the Mass Effect series. I think what made it work was they all had personalities and youd go do stuff with them and have story lines. Ive never had a bae like Tali in any game. Vetra was my bae in Andromeda but Mrs. Normandy is my soulmate. Right now its "Hey, I saw you not letting a snake strangle a kid...wanna bang?"

Even though I don't like Dragon Age Inquisition I like how they made everyone having gender and race preferences. It felt realistic. When everyone is bi, romance usually feels weird for the same gender, because they always make romance for opposite gender in mind.

T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by ArmouredHedgehog
Shadowheart does behave a bit like a bipolar girl who is friends with a friend of mine. Quite a lot of push pull to her personality. I guess it is just some sort of consequence of religious brainwashing. Maybe it will make sense once we know more about her. For roleplaying reasons my mage cannot tolerate someone like that in his camp. Too much potential danger. As a romance option? Lae'zel is not coming from a society where such relationships are important, Shadowheart is untrustworthy, Wyll is attached to a Cambion and Gale is heartbroken about Mysta.

Shar seems to have a thing for luring the evil-curious, co-dependent, and vulnerable sorts into her worship. Then there's the types that know precisely what sort of toxic evil she's capable of and go in with eyes wide open.

T
addict
addict
T
Had a friend watching me play a bit and Shadowheart came on and said friend asked me "Is this the Kodachi of this game?"

I have a thing for characters that at least start out nominally on the "evil" side and getting a redemption arc. So...well, my friend pegged me right away.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Saryle

Even though I don't like Dragon Age Inquisition I like how they made everyone having gender and race preferences. It felt realistic. When everyone is bi, romance usually feels weird for the same gender, because they always make romance for opposite gender in mind.

I think the other part of it was you were more of the pursuer. People you're not interested in making it clear they want a piece of you is like "uh, heh, alright thanks for the compliment...im gonna go over here now..." Its creepy regardless of your sexuality. ME andromeda made it even easier by putting the <3 by the "lets get freaky and busy, in that order" option. Persona 5 also had the "lets go do something together" moments - where, if I am honest, as a DM it would be pretty cool to have 2 person quests in the game for relationships. I think it should be a little more player driven right now beyond the # of boxes checked for an NPC to get hot and bothered near you.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Thrythlind
Had a friend watching me

So...well, my friend pegged me right away.

Kinky

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Saryle

I think the other part of it was you were more of the pursuer. People you're not interested in making it clear they want a piece of you is like "uh, heh, alright thanks for the compliment...im gonna go over here now..." Its creepy regardless of your sexuality. ME andromeda made it even easier by putting the <3 by the "lets get freaky and busy, in that order" option. Persona 5 also had the "lets go do something together" moments - where, if I am honest, as a DM it would be pretty cool to have 2 person quests in the game for relationships. I think it should be a little more player driven right now beyond the # of boxes checked for an NPC to get hot and bothered near you.

I've wanted romance related quests in games for a long time! That's definitely a more interesting way to show and develope romance. That's why I'm actually glad we get sex scene early in the game. Usually sex is the end of romance and here I hope we can get a good development of romance after first act and maybe even some quests.

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted by pfifferling
I really don't see how the characters being 'playersexual' is detracting whatsoever from their character and somehow not making them unique. It's nice having your pick of the pie and not having to settle for the (usually poorly written or unappealing) shoehorned gay romance like it was in the past.

People personnality is defined by their choice. If for all of them, their ideal partner is basically you, whatever your gender/race/class/background, and the only condition is getting along with you, this means that they basically all have the same outlook on a partner (except personnality) . In real life, people will choose you based on differents things, ranging from appearance to personnality,gender, job, age, social situation and what not.
Also, and this is another topic, While Ed greenwood stated that bisexuality was the norm in forgotten realm, I have yet to read that. because in all the Greenwood and Salvatore book I read, heros were almost universally straight, Elminster, Drizz't, Wulfgar, Artemis, and what not. And while some hero like Elminster have spent time transformed as the other gender and having straight sex from the other side. its not the same as ''being pansexual and having sex with whatever gender and race in Faerune''. Also, its seems that this tendancy is more shared by immortal divinity bored of their usual fun, and has become more regular since the 5th edition.

Please note that I'm not against a pansexual character. I could imagine a very curious, open minded and adaptable character that would like to experiment whatever he could. But all of them, I dunno, it feels so different of what I know of forgotten realm and how real life is.

Last edited by Hachina; 18/10/20 10:56 PM.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Thrythlind
Had a friend watching me play a bit and Shadowheart came on and said friend asked me "Is this the Kodachi of this game?"

I have a thing for characters that at least start out nominally on the "evil" side and getting a redemption arc. So...well, my friend pegged me right away.

I also have a thing for such characters. You're lucky because I think there is 99,9% chance that Shadowheart will get a redemption arc. And I'm just hoping that I can turn Astarion into a good boy (can I be so naive at least in a game haha)

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard