Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 28 of 41 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 40 41
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Peranor
Found this image on Reddit. Something like this is how i would like the dice rolls to look like.

[Linked Image]

This is amazing!

T
stranger
stranger
T
I guess this is the best place to write down the feedback I have.

Based around 20 hours of gameplay. I've played Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 countless times (BG2 is my favorite game of all times), NWN, I DM for my family on 5E, and also enjoyed D:OS 2 a lot. That's my background in short.

Mostly enjoying BG3 early access so far but I feel like my enjoyment has reduced a bit in the 5 or so last hours I've played through. This could be a combination of me being slow initially which led to the most crippling bugs being patched *before* I encountered them, and the feeling of progression being stalled after reaching level 4 (which I did some ten or more hours ago).

Regardless I feel the game has potential to be truly great and my dearest wish is just to contribute in however small a way to make it more enjoyable for all.

Feedback per category:

Camera
- I'd like a camera with 3 degrees of freedom. I like playing close to my character to experience the world as close to "first person" as possible, but currently all options of cameras severely limit the field of vision and I can't really see what is around us.
- Combat camera is too limited as well - sometimes enemies that are in range cannot be seen which is really annoying.

Movement
- I would like to make it more obvious where a click will move your character in the exploration mode (like the circle cursor on the original Baldur's Gate). This is especially frustrating when you have several levels around and click on the top level that is "behind" by mistake.
- It is very frustrating to have to move characters one by one when moving to an area that can only been accessible by jumping, especially since you need to unbind them from the main group to make sure you have enough space. A "group jump" feature would be awesome.
- Likewise, sometimes surfaces cause issues with group pathfinding. Sometimes characters refuse to move as it would imply them moving directly through a dangerous surface. I would like to have the option to "move the group" (think, like in the original Baldur's Gate) instead of moving the main character and relying on the AI to follow me. This would also ensure that I can engage combat with all my characters close to the frontline already.

Character creation
- Maybe the menus could use some re-ordering? The order of selection is not the clearest.
- The attributes repartition is really a bit unfun. If you are using a race that doesn't have any bonus in your key stat the highest you can get is 15, which is really low. I get that letting players go to 20 at level 1 might feel "too powerful", but at least having an 18 (or a 16 if you don't have racial bonuses) would be appreciated.
- Overall I find the character creation amazing. Thank you for giving us all these options to create and customize our characters quite in depth!

Combat
Okay here I am a bit on the fence. I like both the D:OS 2 combat and the 5E combat systems, but I am really not sold on this system that is a bastard child of the two. The fact that characters are limited to one action per turn (5E) makes the ability to deal damage to multiple targets immensely valuable (especially considering the damage output of single attacks is usually quite low). This obviously has the consequence of making flasks/arrows and surfaces overpowered. The fact that they are everywhere is obnoxious.

So, in bullet points (with additional ideas as well):
- Less surfaces (already said by everyone), or give the option to entirely negate the damage (for example, DEX saving throw = you don't take fire damage at all while being/walking through fire, etc.)
- Distances feel either too long or movement speeds too short. The worst case scenario for that is the concert on the beach where my melee character felt absolutely useless. Missing two turns because you need to get into position is unfun.
- Since it is so important to get in good positions in combat (high ground, backstab, etc.), I'd like to see a highlighted zone of my "remaining available movement", updated as you get into an intermediate position.
- Attack of opportunity areas should be more clearly highlighted.
- I don't understand why a character that has a spell of light active (typically my human fighter has a spell of light on her sword) still gets disadvantage in MELEE when a enemy is "hidden by shadows"?! I get that light around you won't help you range far opponents but in melee it makes no sense to me. Could be a bug though, not sure.
- For rogues, make it a lot clearer when you have sneak attack and when you do not. Sneak attack should also not be a power you need to toggle, it should automatically give you sneak attack if you meet the conditions.
- Enemy AI feels very smart, always targeting the weakest characters in the group. Obviously this is something that will improve as the game gets out of early access but I'd like to see different "intelligence levels" for enemies. Having a fighter as a tank is basically useless since all enemies will target the mages anyway.

Character progression
- I would like to have an option to toggle "maximum HP per level", or save/reload until I get the maximum number of HP on level up. Having weak characters is unfun and ultimately I think it should be up to player preference.
- I know this is early access but it looks like the amount of content available should allow us to get up to level 5, 6 or even 7? My characters had enough XP to get to level 5 five hours ago, yet enemies still keep increasing in lethality - character progression feels stalled and I find myself having to rest after every fight now.

Loot & items
- I'd like to see more heavy armors. The heaviest I found so far was a chainmail.
- Personal preference, I'd like to have an option to wear helmets but toggle the graphics out (i.e. still getting the benefits of wearing a helmet without it appearing).

Dialogues
- Obviously it feels quite weird to be the only non-doubled character in the entire world, but I guess there are too many lines of dialogue to hope having a fully-voiced character.
- Probably a known bug already, "jump cuts" from a pose to another when the dialogue moves from one line to the next.

NPCs
After reading the forums I feel like unlike most posters I mostly enjoy the companions. Clearly there is a lack of good-aligned companions as all available so far are neutral at best but I guess this will be addressed. I like Gale, Astarion is evil as hell but quite fun, and I haven't played with Wyll or Laeze'l yet (next playthrough). I don't mind Shadowheart but I'd just like to have more options to be blunt with her.

It's fine if your companions are mean, if you have the option to match their tone. That could create an interesting dynamic, but I feel like the main character is a bit too mild-mannered compared to the people they travel with.

Okay that's pretty much it. The graphics are absolutely dope and I love the freedom of choice we get!
Loving it so far. Coming back for more soon.

stranger
stranger
Below are some of my comments / suggestions – gameplay related only (technical issues / bugs in the other Thread)

CC:

• I would appreciate more sliders, especially for lips and noses (at least it would be great to change the lip colour)

Loading Screen:

• Show more D&D related artwork, more tips for gameplay, infos about races, lore etc

Gameplay:

• Hit Rate is not working properly right now? Even with very high %, most attacks will miss

• Let companions auto-jump

• Empty barrels / boxes / vases should be marked empty

• Please give the cutscenes some extra love. Right now most of it seems unfinished (I know it's EA, but...)

• Lockpicking time bar: maybe change it to a dice roll as well

• So little armor for loot, did I miss something?

• Please add an optional 3rd person camera

• Please add more lighting effects to some areas (mist, fire, sunrays, moonshine, fireflies) to create beautiful In-Game screenshots

• Changing weather would be wonderful too

Dialogues:

• In the beginning I didn't use the camp very often, so I missed a lot of interesting camp conversations. Some hints eg. "new conversation available in camp / XYZ wants to talk to you" would be nice

• Some races have way more dialogue options than others. Half drows/elves seem to not have much variance in dialogue compared to full-blooded drows/elves

Companions:

• Some characters seem a bit unbalanced. Gale has a lot of screentime (eg. Weave scene), whereas other characters don't get that much attention

Inventory:

• More precise Search function

• Being able to send multiple items to a party member

Otherwise, EA has a lot of potential and is looking great so far. wave
Oh and I love these oldschool smilies.

Last edited by Kakulukiam; 19/10/20 05:38 PM.
L
stranger
stranger
L
Just wanted to leave some feedback:

I have no background in D&D so I'm merely learning a new game without having known the fundamental rules of 5e D&D. I have played other cRPG's before like Dragon Age: Origins, Pillars of Eternity 2, Wasteland 2, DOS2.

Since I possess no real knowledge of D&D I can't really say for better or worse how well the D&D mechanics have been implemented so I'll focus on moments of frustration or the staggering unfun moments of Act 1. For context, I've done half a singleplayer playthrough and a full coop playthrough.

- Party Traversal via Jumping: This is a rather tedious time wasting element of the game, where to get to certain areas you have to maneuver via jumping which is followed by doing the same jump 3 other times for each party member. Any platforming would follow the formula: # of jumps needed x # of party members. I realize verticality is important to level design in this day and age but I find myself dreading seeing any platforming puzzles/paths with a full party.

- Multi-Attacks: From what I understand this is a core component of DND and I do not advocate to remove it, but as an newbie it really blind-sided me and my friend when we first encountered enemies capable of multi-attacks, literally going 'wtf, did they just attack twice?'. It'd be nice if there was a trait to denote that a enemy possesses the capability to conduct multi-attacks or simply has 2 actions/per turn, maybe that's too much, I don't know, all I know is that it was extremely frustrating encountering these otherwise generic looking enemies. Mini-Boss/Bosses (Minotaur, Beholder) I would expect to have this ability but not pawns. ('Fiends' @ Toll House, 'Animated Armor' @ Ruined Tower)

- Downed Cycling: A tactical situation whereby you help/throw a potion at a character to prevent imminent death repeatedly and since that takes an action and the person helped up loses does not come back with one until their next turn you haven't solved the problem leading to them being knocked down again and cycling through again. More prominent against enemies with multi-attacks, and the AI really loves to attack the same character. I can't say how to solve this, I just know it's not a very fun situation.

- Pushing is toxic: As a bonus action, this is really really strong. You can displace enemy positions, push them off cliffs for large damage or into the void for an insta-kill. You only realize how toxic this really is when you're on the receiving end which I learned in the Underdark/Goblin Camp. I feel it needs to be bumped into an action considering how powerful the Push/Shoot or Cast is for ranged characters and also reduce toxicity levels when fighting in multi-story rooms.

- Throwing is underpowered: As opposed to Pushing, this does consume your action, and all the while you are not allowed to throw people off the map and enemies thrown don't suffer from gravity if thrown down from multiple stories or even put into a knocked down.

Last edited by LaggyWolf; 18/10/20 04:39 PM.
P
stranger
stranger
P
Character creation note*
*from baldurs gate 1 & 2 background*

I found globally the game mechanics success, a good compromise between tabletop D&D and game. this is not a small feat. so I won't suggest anything or feedback on this because, As much as I like D&D or games they re rule as to be put apart and blending them for vise vesa will just break one an other. I give you my hat for that.

but just on creation part which as little or so change on playability, would you be so kind to add these or look into it(if not already discuss and eventually there):

-on character creation stat rolling would be so D&D and user experience friendly, adding all the method if so.
throw 8 number stat take the 6 you want or roll each stat and switch 2 for 1 point around. etc. right now, level creation just look plain esthetic for little stat control you have.

-from baldurs gate, save your character import - export this really need to be there. if you want multi player game play. in the days playing with friend with each a character on there own made the game feel truly D&D.

-the possibility to play with a party made of your character, followed by npc is good and all but (still from baldur gate 1&2) the fun of relationship with compagnon ? go for it if you like but … for the most of us who doesn't really care... other then getting achievement for it? let us make our party. One thing I loved to make was not just a player but a party a band of barbare roaming killing there way through quest. A cultist group with a charismatic mage, weak like a twig but walled by meats tank. I would do that a lot in the old days.

and right now your game make it even easier, with camp the npc story can still be pick along for a wild without little effect to the game. let be fair, if people arg user experience going to be effected it will and its the whole point. I really want to make a pack of eldritch warlock burning all those who not believe in the good name of the one and only Yog-Sothoth.

I am pretty sur the concept is already in for multiplayer if not. and a party is created with one character made and all the other pick a npc...this ... player will play but... you will drop one of the must liked aspect of D&D the Character created and played by you.

resumed. let in multiplayer, each player, play with there own created character in a party, and in single player let us do the same by importing them or just created 4.

the mechanics is there. in the old baldur gate doing it put all character with the power of your father becoming stronger. in bg3 its bound to the clas you have and all npc got also the pick on it.

- for last Custom Class (homebrew) one of the thing d&D 5 did was you can make your damn s*** go for it easy. And it would be awesome bg3 let you custom all the way to the ground your class.

to start, you pick a class which is your mold, and from there you pick all your stuff darkknight. paladin using only necrotic spell ba bli blue

grave digger, ranger necro and on and on.

Last edited by Papamadoo; 19/10/20 12:18 AM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Traycor
Dialogue Animations - Way too much movement. Characters are bending at the waist, bobbing their heads, and doing all sorts of over-acting that make the conversations feel staged and forced. Also, expressions are often too exaggerated, such as frowns or frightened faces. These look like children mimicking those expressions instead of a real person expressing subtle emotion. Watch movies on mute for reference of body language and faces (not much movement).

totally aggree. I'd like an option to disable camera close ups during dialogue.
Characters look and act in such a manner I'd rather see them from default top view.

O
stranger
stranger
O
So been playing since the release so far, and having seen some of the posts, but not all, I may end up repeating some previously mentioned bugs. Also, some of my concerns will be related to the pen and paper game, as Im playing 2 nights a week and feel the game, as a whole, is a VERY poor representation.

* Been playing the warlock, and for me, the class has always been, hexblade, and everything else. In that, hexblade is a melee master, the others casters, which inevitably, rely on eldritch blast spam.
- Having a separate entry on the combat table for Agonizing Blast, is stupid, you really can just add it to the damage roll. Its really just like adding a str modifier to a melee attack, there is no extra entry for that.
- Just having pact of the chain. That's really lazy and boring.
- I played the great old one for 3nd playthrough. NO eldritch invocation options. NO Pact Boon. That's one broken class. Fix please.

* Fire bolt. Read the spell description. It does not set people alight. Remove that. Its a broken spell as it is.
- 2nd to firebolt setting so many things alight. This Baldurs Gate, D&D... NOT Divinity. Get rid of you damn surfaces all over the place. Innovative and fun in DOS2, annoying and not the least bit representative of D&D.

* Can you not add scabbard/sheathes, or at the very least just the belt loops, to hold daggers. In the cutscenes, they just float off the hip in mid air. Looks ridiculous.

* Nearly every character has this open hand bug. Astarion threatening me with a dagger floating in the palm of his hand, which is completely open. The old lady offering me potions which float in her open hand. Both of which mind you, are vertical, the hand that is. People gesturing whilst talking at using nothing but open hand gestures, when Im sure some of them mean to be pointing a finger or clenching their fist.

* If I was ever playing an Assassin Rogue, id be the most USELESS character ever. We don't initiate fights via stealth, most of the bad guys are sprung on us due to an event of some kind.

* D&D is D20 based. I got that. And ask many of my game mates, I have the WORST rolls ever. But BG3? Its punishing. VERY punishing. Ive scored much worse rolls on hit, saves and my dmg rolls? I RARELY roll above 2 or 3. Random rolls happen, but consistent shit rolls seem to me, that the generator is a little off.

* On rolls. We have all our stats, our skills, which we get to adjust and change as per character creation. When you hover over the requisite skill checks in dialogue, it tells you what skills are at work. You roll the dice. you need a 10. You roll a 9. You fail even though you have +4 in that skill.. So that should be a success. IF you are going to say they are baked into the roll for ease of use. That would be erroneous. I needed to roll a 5, got a 4, with a skill that gave me +5. So that argument would be invalid.
- Checked the combat log for my skill check. Told me the skill check needed, the roll I made then the REAL confusing part. Roll 8 +4 - +2 Charisma, +2 Proficiency +4 Persuasion = 12. No. Wrong. That's 16. And YES I know it should be only 12. You NEED to remove the +2 charisma and +2 Proficiency, from that roll, as +4 persuasion is exactly that. And if its to explain how you got the +4, that'd be why we have a character sheet where we have skill modifiers that we can check.

* My group gets one shotted pretty easy. Cleric has 15 hit points. One spell. Dead. Wizard gets hit by melee attack. Dead. I scrape through my wins BARELY.

* The death save graphical representation Is really bad for me. I don't like it. I can offer no alternative, I just don't like it.
- I would like to see, if someone is down and rolling death saves, and the combat ends, that it immediately switches to turn based. Getting to my character and the required spells and targeting them before they die isn't that easy. You managed to throw me into turn based mode when I encountered my trap in the chapel, so I don't see why you cant do the same here.

Finally, I dont know if it was tongue in cheek or what. But you posted with your update, your frustration at us not utilising the character creator to its fullest potential.Showing us an amalgamation of all our collective avatars, Ending with, we gave you all these options and you give us this. Tbh, that just irritated me. We gave you full retail price money. And this is what you have given US: Limited races, limited sub races. Limited classes, limited sub classes, limited options WITHIN those classes/subclasses. So dont be flippant with your words when it comes to the creation process. I would have preferred less focus on that side, just so youd get the mechanics right. Some Perspective please.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by LaggyWolf
- Pushing is toxic: As a bonus action, this is really really strong. You can displace enemy positions, push them off cliffs for large damage or into the void for an insta-kill. You only realize how toxic this really is when you're on the receiving end which I learned in the Underdark/Goblin Camp. I feel it needs to be bumped into an action considering how powerful the Push/Shoot or Cast is for ranged characters and also reduce toxicity levels when fighting in multi-story rooms.

Pushing and disengage should probably both be actions with rogues getting an option to use disengage as a bonus action. I've seen a lot of people say this. Also the game desperately needs a move quietly check happening since cone of sight stealth is ridiculously overpowered. You can easily sneak up on enemies as a full plate fighter since the only stealth check is when people are looking at you.

Last edited by Worm; 19/10/20 03:42 AM.
stranger
stranger
Hello! New to this forum business, but I really want to help with my feedback and my personal thoughts. Others may not agree and I am a casual gamer. I do have a lot of background when it comes to Dungeons and Dragons (but mainly homebrew stuff on making my own world and stuff). Anyways, here we go.

So far, I've played through one character. A Tiefling Warlock. I believe I just hit level 4 not to long ago and just hit the point where I can't go no further. I have a few recommendations and other things that I'd like to offer or point out.

1. When I have been exploring or just merely walking around, the Tiefling's tail likes to spaz out a lot. It's just a small bug but for smoothness sake on how the game looks, can we please do something about that? Tried showing my friends the gameplay and they wanna second think about it because weird stuff like that would happen. Lets get that final project that smoothness all us gamers enjoy! Side note, the tail should also be customizable. Like if we want it rigged or smooth. The arrowhead tip or just a regular extended end. I think it would be awesome for more customization on that behalf. Another thing with the Tiefling, GIVE US THE HOOVES! I want to have them hooves. They have them in the books (purely cosmetic) so throw them our way. You can easily just reskin the shoes/foot wear as cuff lings around or above the hooves.

2. Companion dialogues tend to loop, making you lose or gain disapproval/approval when already clicking on the option prior. I have gained so much disapproval with Shadowheart just by miss clicking an option, it's insane. I think even if you loop the dialogue, make it so the disapproval/approval doesn't happen if you clicked it prior to doing it again.

3. Please bring some more aspects with improvised weaponry and unarmed combat. I'm sure you don't plan on bringing in the monk class, but give us something to work with. I like doing unarmed combat. Makes me feel like a badass.

4. Give a brief tutorial message on bartering. I nearly lost all my equipment and junk by giving it away without asking for something or how much gold to receive from the shopkeep. I'm sure people made the same mistake, it sucks not knowing and losing a lot. Also, I recommend instead of double clicking or dragging the items to the bartering panel, just make it one click. I'm known for collecting a lot of stuff to sell, but I don't wanna sit there and double click/drag on every single thing when it could be just a simple click.

5. This one is more of a personal preference. I would like to hear my character talk a little more than he does. You guys got decent graphics, add some small speech with the dialogue choices at least. NPC's talking to me while I stare at them makes me feel kinda silly.

6. Natural 20 rolls on skill checks should add a little more flavor. For example, when I was doing a check to see what completely sucked the boar dry it just gave me the normal amount of info as it would if I passed normally. Maybe in that specific scenario, give like a hint. Saying it could be a vampire, or something a little more specific. Showing the bite marks of 2 fanged like teeth.

7. What happened to Wyll? I asked him to go back to camp and he completely vanished. It's like he went M.I.A. Please do something about that. Would like to know the character instead he just goes missing.

8. Screen adjustments. Please do something about this. I try clicking somewhere but it'll think I'm clicking on the surface above me and it gets quite annoying really fast.

9. Cut scenes are a little off. When I am in dialogue or a cut scene that involves my character, it moves slightly off and it looks like he is touching air when he should be touching someone. Or the NPC/my character wont even appear on the screen but still be talking.

10. I don't know if this was just a freak coincidence, but when I was fighting off the Tyr loving people (you know the ones hired to kill the Tiefling beside the river that is bleeding out because she left Zariel) Astarian was knocked prone and did not do a single thing the entire fight. I will move him, but he'll just go right back to the spot I moved and say I already used all my movement. Same thing with actions.

11. When I was doing the final mission(ish) and I joined the goblins on attacking the grove, I did not break initiative when there was NO creatures around. Well, there was one inside the druid's leader's area, but he didn't move or anything. So it was a nuisance when going from the gate in initiative the whole way down there still in initiative.

12. PLEASE, by the gods and the hells, please add music during the sex scene. I loved it because I'm as perverted as the next gamer, but oh my. Hearing silence and a cackling fire while they are completely silent. Kind of weird. Maybe even add moans, but please add something. The silence is killer.

Alright, hope this comes of help. I plan to do the next character and add some more notes. Besides these points, I really love the game. I can't wait for the final release. You guys are doing spectacular. Love the looks, really nicely flowed combat, and the passive checks are really cool. Customization (besides the points for Tiefling) I have no problems with. I'm enjoying it all. Keep up the good work, and I'll make sure I add some more stuff when I have more tips/advice.

Last edited by HadesJester; 19/10/20 05:46 AM.
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
In 5E, druids, paladins and bards all have healing capabilities... those classes aren't available yet of course. Cure Wounds is also on the Ranger's Spell list.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by someoneinatree
+1 to adding non-combat XP to the list please! There are some great interactions to be had with NPCs, and players should be rewarded for resolving non-combat situations.

From a personal perspective I'd also like to see this: I dunno how it fits in with D&D since, well, I don't really know anything about D&D (so I'm grateful to those who do!) but I've often thought that RPGs in general can be too combat-focussed for my tastes. XP from non-combat stuff goes some way to addressing that.

More catching up tomorrow. My brain needs a rest!

Many, many, many 5E campaigns eschew experience points for "milestone" leveling. Sometimes DMs award XP for non-combat stuff. it just depends on the DM and players. No good reason not to reward creative play, as others have suggested.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by CMF
Torn between knowing if a roll was made or not. I don't mind the randomness on if you succeed, but by informing me I failed, I know that I should reload until I succeed (I KNOW there is something there, just need it to be revealed, versus I never knew in the first place. This is like saying "there is something hidden roll to find out if you notice there is something hidden"...but you just told me it was hidden!)

Originally Posted by Redwyrm
Just make it same as in work in P&P.
Stealth passive perception check, with only success been revealed.
If player suspect something in there he my attempt single perception check, or multiple investigation checks. Just as above - only success been revealed.

Originally Posted by Mister Monster
A thought:

Hide the 'perception failed' popup to avoid player metagaming, but keep the 'perception success!' result.

At a 'perception success' result, have the camera FOCUS on the thing that was revealed for a short amount of time OR make it's glow last longer; more often than not, with me looking ahead for threats, a perception will succeed, I'll hear 'Oh , that should be worth checking out', only to scroll back and have no idea what was revealed because it was a: too small or b: isn't an obvious difference in the scene.

This. I would like to know of the roll only if it was a successful one. Otherwise you fall into metagame trying your luck with every character and animal companion in your party, it's ugly to see. If I failed to notice something why should I be able to call all of my pals to make them do the same check?

Y
stranger
stranger
Y
Would love to see a "sell junk" button

journeyman
journeyman
Based of this topic https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=680586

Make Intimidation a Str based skill or allow player to choose Str\Cha, this is a very common rule used by DMs. It allows you to avoid illogical situations when tiny bard is more intimidating than brutal barbarian.

Last edited by arion; 19/10/20 11:16 AM.
G
stranger
stranger
G
- Rogues should get Expertise

- Githyanki bonus skill (Decadent Mastery) not documented

- Warlock invocation "Devil's Sight" does not cause environment to light up in the same way Darkvision does

- There is no way to see past class feature options on the character screen - e.g. warlock invocations

- Companions are unlikeable, hostile or abrasive - even an evil character would not travel with them

- There should be a button in the barter window to make offers equal by adding gold

Last edited by Ghorunt; 19/10/20 01:06 PM.
Originally Posted by Yiannis_B

^ Why add things to "wares" if there is no sell button. I'm hoping I'm just blind, but I still ahven't found any such button.

Originally Posted by Ghorunt

- There should be a button in the barter window to make offers equal by adding gold

^ There is, try the scales.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by arion
Based of this topic https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=680586

Make Intimidation a Str based skill or allow player to choose Str\Cha, this is a very common rule used by DMs. It allows you to avoid illogical situations when tiny bard is more intimidating than brutal barbarian.

its even covered in the core rules - if it's logical and realistic to use a characteristic other than the default one with a skill, you can, but it's always a GM discretion.

Therefore, rather than it being a carte blanch option for the PC, it should be something that is available via specific dialogue options and be displayed as Intimidation (strength)

C
C
Originally Posted by frequentic
Originally Posted by Yiannis_B

^ Why add things to "wares" if there is no sell button. I'm hoping I'm just blind, but I still ahven't found any such button.

Originally Posted by Ghorunt

^ There is, try the scales.

It is not obvious, they need to add coins on the scales

S
stranger
stranger
S
Based on this topic https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=706513#Post706513

Rules adjustment:

-Use scrolls from class spell list only
-Cast a single spell per turn (unless another is cantrip)
-Offhand using modifier on hit instead of damage (without fighting style)
-Changing weapon mid combat uses bonus action
-Add 2 Short rest or full hp single short rest.
-High Ground and backstab are op. Maybe give it a minor bonus such a +2 to hit.
-Knockout as a toggle button with same damage
-Arcane Ward not working properly it should be 2*wizLevel+int, not a flat 3.
-Change spells only on acampment
-Shove as an action
-100% to hit? Critical miss is always an option.

Implementation:

-Add Shield and Spiritual Weapon spells.
-Add Dodge action.
-Separate Disengage from Jump.
-Targetable character portraits.
-Drop down spell menu during combat. HUGE improvement in gameplay.
-Make battle log more explicit and add timestamp.
-Show d20 rolls above character head. Adds a lot of excitement!
-Eating food should be reimplemented to only outside of combat.

Misc:

-Game has too many surfaces.
-Too many surfaces. I mean it.
-Rest should be localized. Long resting on a dungeon? Err... nope.
-Candles are op. You know what I mean.
-HP bloat. Low Ac and high hp benefits attack rolls A LOT. saving throw spells sucks in comparison.
-Sort button more explicit
-Magical pockets outside of battle only
-Hide passive rolls if failed, be it insight, perception, etc.
-Level Cap, at least 15... please

Last edited by Sancelot; 20/10/20 06:37 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
From my other thread, plus a couple others.

Gameplay

• Combat 1: Enemies don't seem to know that they can dash. It took three turns of waiting before the first redcap arrived at the teahouse, because I wanted to keep them in the doorway.
  • Combat 2, "HP Bloat": The biggest example of this is the goblins. In the MM, they're AC 15 and HP 7. In BG3, they're AC 7, HP 15+. This means that, if wearing leather armour (11) and using a shield (+2), their Dexterity score can only be -1 or -2 (giving a -6 modifier to AC, initiative, Dexterity-based skills and saves, etc). However, this is only being applied to their AC - it seems like their Dexterity is otherwise unchanged (I don't have the game loaded up, so correct me if necessary). I've read bits and pieces of people saying that the reasoning is because people were missing too often, but that sounds to me like it's more of a problem with your random number generator. The average roll for a d20 is 10.5, so with a 16 or higher score in your attack stat, you should be hitting more often than not (+3 modifier, +2 proficiency bonus). It's one thing if they're a boss, miniboss, or otherwise a special character, but that's not what we're dealing with here. I love the variety in goblins, so they're not all the same thing, but the challenge with fighting goblins (in this example) shouldn't come from them being a pile of hit points. Which brings me to Combat 3 and 4...
  • Combat 3, Enemy AI: This takes into account both of the previous points. Enemies should make use of their abilities like dash more often, yes. But going back to the goblin example, the challenge with fighting them isn't in their HP or damage output, it's that they use hit and run tactics. Goblins should be dangerous in that they run up, attack indiscriminately, then disengage and run away using their Nimble Escape feature. Bugbears and most beasts should prioritize the biggest and toughest looking one (for the challenge, or just to get the threat out of the way). Hobgoblins, being the strategic masters, should be prioritizing the actual biggest threat - if not going for the wizard or healers first themselves, then telling their subordinates to do so. The only enemies that should be targeting downed characters are intelligent bosses who really want to get someone out of the way or to be cruel. Beasts and most regular enemies should just move on to the next threat.
  • Combat 4, HP Again: As I said earlier, a stack of hit points isn't always fun. However, you could work this into the game by offering difficulties. Normal gives creatures their average hit points (for example, 7 for your average goblin). Hard gives creatures their maximum HP (12 for goblins). And then a truly random setting, probably with a warning about increased load times, by having the actual dice rolled (a goblin will have between 2 and 12 from their 2d6; a hobgoblin captain will have between 18 and 60 from their 6d8+12; etc).

Rules

• Attunement: Magic items are missing the attunement quality. This really should be added. I checked D&D Beyond, and most rare or rarer items require attunement, with a few uncommon also requiring it. This is mainly when an item gives you an ability or stat increase (aside from +1/2/3 to AC, hit, or damage). To make it more gamey, you can remove the time requirement for attunement, but still have the attunement slots.

UI/UX

• AI Pathfinding: NPCs running through hazards or over traps is a known quantity, but there are other things that I've come across (bug report pending). There will be times where I click to move somewhere, then the rest of the party just falls off. Most of the time this is just an annoyance, since they teleport either to beside me or to the destination without taking damage. However, I had one instance yesterday of the party running ahead of me, not setting off a trap, then running off a cliff. They all took fall damage (Gale even gave me crap for attacking him). Then I set off the trap and took the fire damage. I ended up having to explore with the others until I found a waypoint and could fast travel my PC to them.
  • Journal: Please add a Journal. There's currently a quest log, and I've seen requests within this thread asking for adding manual notes and tutorial/rules explanations. Doing this, you could separate it into Quests, Tutorials, Rules, and Notes. Whether you do manual notetaking or not, letters picked up in game should be in this menu. A single page shouldn't take up an entire inventory slot, and shouldn't be worth 1 gp, so this would help to reduce the clutter.
  • Log 1: The log has a lot of missing things in it, and could be improved. There are a lot of places where it will say something like "Astarian did ." What did Astarian do? No idea.
  • Log 2: When checks are made it currently says "Astarian made a Perception check", but it should say "succeeded on" or "failed".
  • Log 3: When things in the world are noticed, the log should say so. "Astarian succeeded on a Perception Check. He noticed a lever." This way you actually know what to look for, rather than trying to find something that glinted once and now blends back in with the background.
  • Log 4: I agree with people complaining about die rolls not being shown. Rather than it being a hover-over tooltip, it should show the total roll. "Astarian rolled a 16 on his sneak attack. Goblin Boss takes 8 damage." Then, have a hover-over tooltip that shows the exact rolls, modifiers, and total.
  • Spells 2: Some spells (bless, for example) say that you can choose up to X creatures, but then automatically select for you. These should have the same selection of targets as spells like magic missile, allowing you to select which three in the radius are blessed.
  • Spells 3: Some spells are duplicated in higher levels even if they can't be cast at higher levels (faery fire, for instance).
  • Spells 4: There's no need for faerie fire to affect objects.
  • Target Self: Actions that can only target yourself (not including spells) - dash, disengage (if it's separated from jump), action surge, etc - shouldn't require a second click. People who haven't played your previous games don't always realize that they do (even I forget sometimes). See, as evidence, Many a True Nerd's livestream.
  • Trader Cash Refresh: I may be the only person who has a problem with this, but traders refresh their gold too fast. If I sell 2,000 gold worth of stuff to a trader, they shouldn't have another 2,000 available after I long rest. Unless items sold to them have been removed from their inventory to simulate others purchasing items while you're away, it should take time to refresh.
  • Voice Acting, PC Voices: I know it's EA, which makes the number of voices make sense. However, I'd like to put forward a request for additional accents. Not just "Generic British", but also Welsh, Australian, Kiwi, African, Slavic, and so on. Give us a dearth of options.

Page 28 of 41 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 40 41

Link Copied to Clipboard